"Woman’s World" receives really bad reviews — Too dispiriting to even approach camp. It’s abysmal.

e3806f5c4f8a9ae9916d0678ca34c927.jpg

Katy Perry's new single is receiving some bad reviews. The Guardian, Pitchfork, Vulture... They've been saying Katy didn't know how to do a satyric song - if that was even the intention -, that it's stupid or a dated feminist anthem. On the top of that there's the controversy surrounding the song because of the producer Dr. Luke who had been accused of abusing Kesha in many ways. The song was written mostly by men. At least the direction of the video is by Charlotte Rutherford. My opinion: a fun pop song. As a person who's always seeking depth in many aspects of life and among them pop music too I realized that maybe we just need a fun pop song to dance to or to work out to... or sing along to it. Do the lyrics of "Woman's World" make me think or perceive women in a different way? No. I don't think it represents all complexity of women or feminism, just part of it: "She's a sister / She's a mother / Open your eyes / Just look around and you'll discover / You kno-oh", okay, yeah, women are all around us and they have multiple facets, complexities, right? That I get. But I can kind of agree with the critics that women are way more deep than that. But sometimes we just need a fun pop song? Could we have a pop song with a deeper meaning. I guess so. That just didn't seem to be the case. But I enjoyed flipping my hair to the song in the shower, lol. Is that because I imagined myself being a skinnier beautiful woman like Katy Perry is now and as I wish I could be? I guess so. It also feels like Katy Perry is celebrating being skinnier again. But that might be just a projection of mine, right, as psychology would think. Is it at least worth the nostalgy of having Katy Perry back at the pop scene?

What's your perception, though?

Edited by Fita
  • Like 1

It's a shame really, like everything about this era could be a serve, the bikini and bionic legs, the flawless album cover and promo photos.

I think its all just been tarnished by working with a predator like Dr Puke. The female empowerment is coming off corny and matched with her comic/cartoon aesthetic in the video, it just doesn't help.

Cute, but not the one. 

• Like 4

It’s a good song it’s anthemic like a lot of her other singles. The greatest hits tour is gonna go crazy every song is a certified bop. GO KATY show these other pop stars how 2024 pop music goes! I know others are envious. The level that Katy creates from sets a blueprint. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 6

I hated the snippets, hated the video, hated the song… but I randomly played the song today at the gym and suddenly it didn’t sound that bad to me.

I’m also not sure why, but the theory it’s a satire about feminism has managed to give the video a bit of an edge IMO. :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney: I’m not against feminism, but I AM against the fake messages that people spread when it’s convenient… you know, the way everyone is all about “girl power” and “body positivity” - yet it’s still funny to make fun of Britney’s cellulite and her “pigging out”. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
52 minutes ago, jordeezy river red said:

I just don't understand why Katy refuses to go the more acoustic or organic route. Her music is too over-produced since Witness. 

I don’t like Katy at all (not even a fan of the Teenage Dream era that everyone seems to love) - but it’s wild to remember I actually liked some of her more serious stuff in the beginning (Lost, Thinking of You).

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I just don't get it...

She HAD to know that people were going to come for her for working with Dr. Luke.

It would be different if she was openly making a statement of like "I stand with Dr Luke, he's my friend" or criticizing the Me Too movement or something. But it seems like she doesn't get it or even know what she's doing? Or thought people were too stupid to notice?

She seems to be delusional that this is a feminist anthem and that we even need one in 2024.

Anyway it's all already been said. im just so confused :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, LoveYourselfMas said:

It’s a good song it’s anthemic like a lot of her other singles. The greatest hits tour is gonna go crazy every song is a certified bop. GO KATY show these other pop stars how 2024 pop music goes! I know others are envious. The level that Katy creates from sets a blueprint. 

Impeccable taste :bigkiss_britney_kissing:

In both music and profile pictures 

Spoiler

:mcwave_mariah_Carey_kiss_bye_goodbye_wave:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.