Paris Hilton producing documentary based on a book about Britney Spears and "toxic early 2000s"

Paris Hilton’s 11:11 Media has optioned Sarah Ditum’s book “Toxic: Women, Fame, and the Tabloid 2000s,” which examines pop-culture misogyny in the early 2000s through the stories of nine female celebrities of the era — including Hilton herself. The company plans to adapt the book as a docuseries.

“Toxic” offers a deep dive into the stories of Hilton, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Aaliyah, Janet Jackson, Amy Winehouse, Kim Kardashian, Chyna and Jennifer Aniston. The book explores their battles with fame, their efforts to control their own narratives, and their various degrees of success and failure in doing so. Ditum portrays her subjects as nuanced individuals confronting the challenges of celebrity amid a “ruthless and rapidly evolving media environment” and “how their experiences influenced broader perceptions of identity, body image, relationships and ambitions that still resonate today,” per 11:11 Media’s announcement.

“When I discovered ‘Toxic,’ I was immediately taken by the depth of Sarah’s dedication, research and writing,” Hilton said. “Sarah’s work inspired me to envision ‘Toxic’ as a documentary series where we can provide a platform for similar stories of those who had to navigate intense public scrutiny, so they can reclaim their narrative from a time when they had little control.”

Ditum will work with 11:11 Media on the adaptation using the research she gathered to write the book. “’Toxic’ was always intended to put the women I write about back at the heart of their own stories,” Ditum said. “Working with Paris and her team on bringing this book to TV feels like a kind of homecoming for the project, and I’m incredibly excited for what they’ll bring to the next stage of ‘Toxic.’”

Ditum’s deal was negotiated by Emily Hayward Whitlock at The Artists Partnership working in association with Caroline Hardman at Hardman & Swainson, a London-based literary agency.

11:Media is a media and consumer lifestyle company co-founded by Hilton and Bruce Gersh in 2021. Its recent TV and film projects include the release of “Paris In Love” Season 2 on NBCUniversal’s Peacock and A24’s upcoming series adaptation of Hilton’s “Paris: The Memoir” in partnership Elle and Dakota Fanning’s Lewellen Pictures.

VARIETY.COM

Paris Hilton's 11:11 Media plans to adapt Sarah Ditum’s book “Toxic: Women, Fame and the Tabloid 2000s" as a docuseries.

I wonder what her friend Britney has to say about this considering her previous public reactions about similar projects? :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

(Lindsay also keeps saying she just wants to focus on her future and for people to leave the past in the past and has no interest in revisiting that time of her life so I imagine she doesn't care/can't be too happy about it either)

Edited by Notorious I.G.G.Y.
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

I wonder if Paris will address her own toxicity towards other women at the time :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

lol all these people are such scum and only want $, they don't care about any of these women. this topic has literally been talked about to death in recent years and a light has already more than been shed about how disgusting those times were for women in the public eye. I'm not saying this era should never be revisited again now, but wait a few more years/decades idk :clownery_makeup_meme:

• Like 1
Just now, DiamondCircus said:

Paris and Britney don't seem to be close ever since the C ship and now that Britney is free it just doesn't seem like they hangout.

Lot's of friends don't hang out though, but seeing how positive Paris is about Britney you'd think Britney would spend time with her.

She enjoys the association, as any narcissist would. I don’t mind Cade that much in general, but it’s creepy he always tries to sell that they’re all bff’s for his own personal, gay “show off”. 

Just now, whenthedogscaneout said:

She enjoys the association, as any narcissist would. I don’t mind Cade that much in general, but it’s creepy he always tries to sell that they’re all bff’s for his own personal, gay “show off”. 

TBH Paris never needed to be associated with Britney she was out making a name for herself on her own. None of Paris' success has anything to do with Britney.

They hung out a short time during her split with K Fed and if anything, Cade is the sus one.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

TBH Paris never needed to be associated with Britney she was out making a name for herself on her own. None of Paris' success has anything to do with Britney.

They hung out a short time during her split with K Fed and if anything, Cade is the sus one.

Well for someone that hung out with her for a short period of time literally 17 years ago, she has sure brought up her name too much.

She’s not (and never has been) even 1/10000 the celebrity Britney was/is. So someone on her level would always benefit from the association with Britney. 

And yeah, Cade seems to like milking their “friendship” for his own weird personal gain, like they’re a cool trio or something… the cringe. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Well for someone that hung out with her for a short period of time literally 17 years ago, she has sure brought up her name too much.

She’s not (and never has been) even 1/10000 the celebrity Britney was/is. So someone on her level would always benefit from the association with Britney. 

And yeah, Cade seems to like milking their “friendship” for his own weird personal gain, like they’re a cool trio or something… the cringe. 

Paris has talked about her positively and she didn't bring her name up it was reports, interviewers and people that asked Paris about Britney.

At least when she's answered each time she's always shown respect and talked nice about Britney. 

Nobody is saying Paris and Britney were ever the same celebs, Paris was the one getting Britney into all the hot spots you think Britney was setting the nights up.

• Love 1

at the end of the day Britney (and her work) is and will always be very beloved by a certain demographic/large group of people, Paris was famous but she never had any credibility or an actual fanbase like that. it's obvious why she still makes a point of associating her name with Britney's any chance she can to this day, only people with literally zero media literacy haven't realized that atp lol

• Like 1

Alright, there are two perspectives to consider here. 1. the documentary could reach more people and shed light on the misogynistic industry's treatment of women, which has been present for decades. 2. while Britney has expressed her dislike for documentaries in the past, perhaps Paris received Britney's approval this time around? If Britney truly hates it, I hope she openly voices her opinion on this. 

I bet they are going to use Toxic and other Britney’s songs to promote this so that’s why I’m saying that Britney should speak on this. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, stronger1992 said:

This title is misleading 🙄🙄 So it’s not about just Britney…nor is Britney a part of it. 

it's not misleading, it's a docuseries adaptation of a book about the toxic early 2000s and there'll prob be a whole episode dedicated to the Britney chapter (and one to the other women mentioned in the article) so it's no different than the New York Times doc that was part of a series too per example

and we don't know if she won't be a part of it (I mean duh of course she likely won't) but nothing in the title is inaccurate and the fact Paris (someone who the media still tries to make people believe is one of Britney's besties to this day) is producing it certainly adds a very interesting layer to the story (and should raise a lot of fans eyebrows imo)

8 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

Paris has talked about her positively and she didn't bring her name up it was reports, interviewers and people that asked Paris about Britney.

You can negotiate with the interviewers about which questions should be brought up and which ones should be avoided. Ofc she doesn’t need Britney to promote her business, but Paris definitely milked Britney’s “Free Movement” to her own benefit…

Edited by CHAOTIC STYLE.
4 minutes ago, CHAOTIC STYLE. said:

You can negotiate with the interviewers about which questions should be brought up and which ones should be avoided. Ofc she doesn’t need Britney to promote her business, but Paris definitely milked Britney’s “Free Movement” to her own benefit…

Paris didn't milk anything the entire time Britney was in a C ship Paris was re branding and building her brand, same since Britney's been free.

Britney had nothing to do with Paris's success, and talking about Britney now means nothing she's retired and lost a lot of respect in the industry unfortunately. 

The "Britney" name isn't as popular, nor does it generate money like it used too especially compared to Beyonce and Taylor. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

Paris didn't milk anything the entire time Britney was in a C ship Paris was re branding and building her brand, same since Britney's been free.

Britney had nothing to do with Paris's success, and talking about Britney now means nothing she's retired and lost a lot of respect in the industry unfortunately. 

The "Britney" name isn't as popular, nor does it generate money like it used too especially compared to Beyonce and Taylor. 

her new project that this thread is about and Paris is looking to get money from is literally about Britney & named after one of Britney's biggest hits? :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

11 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

I truly believe you're living under a rock because there's no way a person who's on a Britney dedicated fan site, pretending to love Britney, is here making claims that Britney's name doesn't generate traffic. Britney's name generated more Google clicks in the last three years than Beyoncé… with a whole world tour and album out. Lmao.

Yes, the traffic and clicks came from the Britney "Free Britney" movement and Britney's wedding, which were extensively covered on social media, tabloids, and TV. (#1 trending on Twitter also). This further proves my point that Paris milked Britney's brand to gain more followers for her “smarty girlz put on an stoopid girlz act” brand. Lmao, what a legacy! 

Edited by CHAOTIC STYLE.
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

I'm going to reserve my judgment until the documentary is out. We recently saw that pic of them together (I think the pic was black and white? i cant find it now) But, we don't know how deep the documentary will go in terms of Britney, we don't know if Britney will help corroborate information... And even if she doesn't like it, the media were extremely horrific towards Britney and it needs to be told. I'm not going to judge until I watch the documentary.

3 minutes ago, CHAOTIC STYLE. said:

I truly believe you're living under a rock because there's no way a person who's on a Britney dedicated fan site, pretending to love Britney, is here making claims that Britney's name doesn't generate traffic. Britney's name generated more Google clicks in the last three years than Beyoncé… with a whole world tour and album out. Lmao.

Yes, the traffic and clicks came from the Britney "Free Britney" movement and Britney's wedding, which were extensively covered on social media, tabloids, and TV. (#1 trending on Twitter also). This further proves my point that Paris milked Britney's brand to gain more followers for her “smarty girlz put on an stoopid girlz act” brand. Lmao, what a legacy! 

I didn't say Britney's name doesn't generate traffic I said her name isn't as popular as it used to be and doesn't generate the numbers Bey and Taylor can.

Paris milked nothing, Britney has yet to bash her, and we heard from Britney she was mad when X tina didn't talk on the red carpet so I'm sure Britney is fine that Paris talked about her when she was asked. 

hottie GIF by RealityTVGIFs

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Notorious I.G.G.Y. said:

her new project that this thread is about and Paris is looking to get money from is literally about Britney & named after one of Britney's biggest hits? :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

So, what popcorned planet is still making money off Britney as did many of the Free Britney leaders, this site makes money off of Britney too.

:elton:

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

I didn't say Britney's name doesn't generate traffic I said her name isn't as popular as it used to be and doesn't generate the numbers Bey and Taylor can.

Paris milked nothing, Britney has yet to bash her, and we heard from Britney she was mad when X tina didn't talk on the red carpet so I'm sure Britney is fine that Paris talked about her when she was asked. 

hottie GIF by RealityTVGIFs

I hope this is an act ‘cause gurl 

spacer.png

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block