Why do we not have music superstars anymore?

• Super Mods

Hey you guys,

I have noticed in the past few years or so how there aren't really big superstars in music anymore.

I think probably the last one I can think of was either Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber

but that was a decade ago and even then their prime wasn't as huge as Britney, MJ and Madonna's.

Back in the 80s and 90s,

You had superstars everywhere in every genre of music.

Now its been reduced to several singers that are huge but not like back then.

I think the obvious answer is that it has to do with social media and the internet.

It has really changed the music industry and how we perceive music now.

Now anyone can be a star overnight by getting viral, it isn't earned like it was back then.

Also since we can just see music videos uploaded on youtube, 

its no longer a big event when singers release videos like back in the day.

I think probably the only singer in music right now that is close to resembling the superstar status from back then is Taylor Swift.

Whether we like it or not, she's dominating the music industry.

But yeah what do you guys think is the reason why we dont see music superstars anymore?

Do you agree with me?

Let me know.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I feel like today we live in an age where people are just famous for being famous thanks a lot to social media. There is such an over saturation of regular people who can reach “celebrity” status for having absolutely no talent, that the word has lost its meaning. 

Social media has also made celebrities look more human to us. Remember back in the day when Michael Jackson was seeing at this out of this world, almost like a god, not just because of his talent, but also because the only time we saw him was on stage, in an award show or in an interview. And the same goes for Britney. When I first saw her in concert in 2001, to me she didn’t even look real. It felt like an out of body experience. 

I also feel like today this gen is so easily pleased by basic trash. Everything is iconic. To us iconic was when Britney danced with a snake, or MJ moonwalked on stage for the first time. To this gen, iconic is when the most basic teenage does the most basic dance on Tik Tok. 

• Love 7
  • Like 1

You can't gatekeep what people listen to.  

Today's artist's aren't getting dropped..

Bebe Rexha, Carly Rae Jepsen.

Articles prove it that music industry is different..

Bebe and others are making it cool to have a devoted fan base. Their tours sell out..

Kylie Minogue sold out Vegas with her intimate 21+ older show, with a strict dress code of formal wear cos it's designed like a supper club not an arena. 

So it's different now. Labels are still trying to find out how Bebe and others can sell out shows despite not going to arenas, which was where the past industry wanted all acts to go to. 

Superstar status, not cult star with a small but loyal fan base. 

2 hours ago, britney_rocks said:

I feel like today we live in an age where people are just famous for being famous thanks a lot to social media. There is such an over saturation of regular people who can reach “celebrity” status for having absolutely no talent, that the word has lost its meaning. 

Social media has also made celebrities look more human to us. Remember back in the day when Michael Jackson was seeing at this out of this world, almost like a god, not just because of his talent, but also because the only time we saw him was on stage, in an award show or in an interview. And the same goes for Britney. When I first saw her in concert in 2001, to me she didn’t even look real. It felt like an out of body experience. 

I also feel like today this gen is so easily pleased by basic trash. Everything is iconic. To us iconic was when Britney danced with a snake, or MJ moonwalked on stage for the first time. To this gen, iconic is when the most basic teenage does the most basic dance on Tik Tok. 

If you don’t PREACH!!! Happy Hands Up GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Like 1

Lady Gaga Friend GIF by The Academy Awards

Superstars are just on another level

They still are out there but like, with the internet and social media it's just kind of harder I feel like for anyone new to stand out and not just fade away with the next viral sensation. It's so quick, everything needs to be constantly evolving and it's just... Idk a different world, man. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.