Why the hell is "My Prerogative" so underrated?

21 hours ago, Flavor Of Love said:

Bobby Brown disliked her version/copyrights :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

But didn’t she need his permission to record the song in the first place? Why then stop her from performing it? He’s entitled to his opinion but he fumbled his own bag if so.

If she was allowed to perform it, the song would have been bigger and bought in more royalties for him as well as awareness to the original song.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, bitbitboi said:

Because this is the most assertive she has ever been with her music and videos, and the GP cannot stand a woman claiming her truth.

Well she did exactly what the message of the song describes and as a result people backed off for a few years and let her do her own thing which ultimately led her to marry an absolute deadbeat with no emotional intelligence and have two children within just two years leading her into postpartum depression. Meanwhile paparazzi and scum leaches such as Lutfi took advantage of her during a time when she needed proper guidance and help instead. People seem to forget that for many years, Britney was free to do what she wanted to do until it led to destruction and unless you don’t remember, the 2004-08 years were also hard to witness. Britney herself even stated that she married for the wrong reasons and let a lot of bad people into her life which led to emergency intervention. Marrying Kevin in the midst of the media circus surrounding her name and having kids with someone with no money or career to his name was the true beginning of all this mess that led to what would become.

Edited by Joshyworld
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, Emil87 said:

But didn’t she need his permission to record the song in the first place? Why then stop her from performing it? He’s entitled to his opinion but he fumbled his own bag if so.

If she was allowed to perform it, the song would have been bigger and bought in more royalties for him as well as awareness to the original song.

spacer.png

One thing is record permissions and releasing, but another thing is performing permissions :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joshyworld said:

Well she did exactly what the message of the song describes and as a result people backed off for a few years and let her do her own thing which ultimately led her to marry an absolute deadbeat with no emotional intelligence and have two children within just two years leading her into postpartum depression. Meanwhile paparazzi and scum leaches such as Lutfi took advantage of her during a time when she needed proper guidance and help instead. People seem to forget that for many years, Britney was free to do what she wanted to do until it led to destruction and unless you don’t remember, the 2004-08 years were also hard to witness. Britney herself even stated that she married for the wrong reasons and let a lot of bad people into her life which led to emergency intervention. Marrying Kevin in the midst of the media circus surrounding her name and having kids with someone with no money or career to his name was the true beginning of all this mess that led to what would become.

They NEVER backed off her though. Since the beginning, she was torn apart for everything she said or did. Like she said in “Mona Lisa”, they wanted her to break down and be a legend of her fall.

Unfortunately, her good heart and belief of the good in people ultimately worked against her. At one point, she was done with being controlled and told how to live and act, which led her down a very dark path. I completely agree with you that allowing certain people (esp KFed) into her life was the beginning of her downfall. But like she said, she was lonely and eventually let these questionable people in and it backfired on her big time.

26 minutes ago, Emil87 said:

They NEVER backed off her though. Since the beginning, she was torn apart for everything she said or did. Like she said in “Mona Lisa”, they wanted her to break down and be a legend of her fall.

Unfortunately, her good heart and belief of the good in people ultimately worked against her. At one point, she was done with being controlled and told how to live and act, which led her down a very dark path. I completely agree with you that allowing certain people (esp KFed) into her life was the beginning of her downfall. But like she said, she was lonely and eventually let these questionable people in and it backfired on her big time.

Sure, they may not have backed off her completely and treat her as an indie artist or such but in terms of letting her make personal decisions, she was allowed. There was no control from her father, mother, manager or family member as to who she should marry, how she should settle down, what she should wear, who to work with, etc. She was Britney Spears, she called the shots and was finally able to break free in many ways. When it came to her personal life, the only time they seemed to have majorly intervened prior to the conservatorship was annulling the 55-hour marriage to Jason which I’m sure Britney consented to and agreed that it was for the best, but other than that there wasn’t any control or much guidance from 2004-08. And as humans, a little bit of that is okay and should be normalized to help us stay grounded. Honestly, I was shocked at how loosely her own family allowed for her to marry Kevin. The red flags were all there and no one seemed to intervene. Instead of taking some time off to reflect on her past and present amidst this media frenzy and during a societal/personal transition, she married this deadbeat who took advantage of her during such a vulnerable state of mind. While things could have obviously been handled differently, I can also understand why her family decided to eventually intervene. That marriage and what came out of it led to most of her problems.

Edited by Joshyworld
6 minutes ago, Joshyworld said:

Sure, they may not have backed off her completely and treat her as an indie artist or such but in terms of letting her make personal decisions, she was allowed. There was no control from her father, mother, manager or family member as to who she should marry, how she should settle down, what she should wear, who to work with, etc. She was Britney Spears, she called the shots and was finally able to break free in many ways. When it came to her personal life, the only time they seemed to have majorly intervened prior to the conservatorship was annulling the 55-hour marriage to Jason which I’m sure Britney consented to and agreed that it was for the best, but other than that there wasn’t any control or much guidance from 2004-08. And as humans, a little bit of that is okay and should be normalized to help us stay grounded. Honestly, I was shocked at how loosely her own family allowed for her to marry Kevin. The red flags were all there and no one seemed to intervene. Instead of taking some time off to reflect on her past and present amidst this media frenzy and during a societal/personal transition, she married this deadbeat who took advantage of her during such a vulnerable state of mind. While things could have obviously been handled differently, I can also understand why her family decided to intervene. That marriage and what came out of it is what led to what would soon become. 

Ok, I thought you were referring to the media in terms of backing off. And yea, at that point, there was no telling her what to do. She was an adult and one of the most famous people on the planet. She no doubt was also supporting her entire family at the time, so I’m sure they were scared of being cut off. Britney was defiant in every way. I think the problem was that because she was so controlled before her brief period of freedom, she didn’t really have any basic life skills or insight into how the real world works. I remember her being so excited to just hail her own taxi for the first time at like 22. Whether they intended to or not, everyone around her really failed her. 

• Like 1

I’ve always loved this song.  I still remember the LQ leak of the “breakdown” and everyone thinking it was fake because of how short the clip was.

I always wonder what it would sound like live, with a band.  I know it was supposed to be performed in Domination, I’d be interested to hear that mix.

I will always vouch for a “Do Somethin/I’ve Just Begun/My Prerogative” live mashup performance.

Because of the tour being canceled when Clear Channel was a sponsor so radio didn't play it. That's why it didn't chart on Billboard even though the video was popular.

Also because of the autotune that gave the chorus a teen pop vibe that didn’t fit with the dark vibe of the song. The production was great but the chorus effects sounded like the Backstreet Boys’ “Everybody” when that style was outdated. I think a different version that was more urban and like the original would’ve done better with the GP

Also it isn't true that Bobby didn’t let her perform it. Other artists covered and performed his songs the same year. She just didn’t want to promote anything and wanted a break, and also because of her knee. She canceled the appearances she had to promote the GH album

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block