Any songs you didn't know were actually covers but only found out years later? Like, 25 years later perhaps...

The Cheetah Girls - Cinderella. It was originally done by obscure girl group i5 and then later by Swedish girl group Play. As a kid I only knew The Cheetah Girls’ version and it’s the ‘definitive’ version of the song for me but i5 and Play’s versions are good too. I found out it was a cover cause years ago I found a lyric video for the song on YouTube and it said it was The Cheetah Girls’ version but it was actually the Play one playing… then I googled the song and realised they didn’t do it first either.

Stacie Orrico - (There’s Gotta Be) More To Life. It was originally sung by Lucy Woodward and included as a bonus track on the Japanese edition of her debut album While I Can. This was the same year Stacie’s version came out, but I think Lucy recorded the song first as she co-wrote it. I’ve come to like Lucy’s version and it’s more pop rock sounding than Stacie’s. 

Holly Valance - Kiss Kiss. The song was originally sung in Turkish by Tarkan (as Simarik), but the first English version was actually by Stella Soleil. 

Hannah Montana - One In a Million. Originally recorded by German singer Sandy Molling (of No Angels) for her debut solo album Unexpected. Some of the lyrics had to be changed for the Hannah version as they were too adult. 

5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Another song was I Promised Myself by A*Teens. 

We know their debut album was an ABBA tribute, and they also covered Elvis for the Lilo and Stitch movie, but I didn't know their last single was also a cover, until some years ago 

I love this song. I listen to the A Teens club mixes all the time. 

• Like 1

One cover it's to popular but people had no idea it was a Tina Turner song.. 

Don't turn around by Ace of Base. 

Their version is actually the only that charges worldwide except for Europe,  which a band named aswad actually made it successful as for Tina Turner unfortunately it wad a b side,  which is why her original 1986 take was overlooked as it wasn't widely available until the 2022 expanded reissue of Break every rule. 

The 1986 "forgotten B Side original " by Tina Turner. 

The 1989 European hit take by Reggae band Aswad..

Ironically remixes of the ace of base take are done by Aswad in 7" and 12 " takes..

The 1993 take by Ace of Base that is well the globally known version and the most popular version in the US as it peaked at #3 in 1994. As it was the follow up the biggest hit of 1994, The Sign by Ace of Base themselves.  

Recorded in 2009 by the trio, Linn left then,  but only original lyrics are the rap by Buddha, but Linn said it best,  you kinda need the Rap, but being how they're Swedish it can't be their whole identity has to be a little of everything.  

Which America needs, is someone in between not this or that but all music genres..

Edited by Spicechinodiva
  • Like 1

Can't believe I forgot the original version of The £u$$ycat Dolls' Don't Cha in my previous post... the original version was by Tori Alamaze and released the same year as PCD's but hers came first and it flopped spectacularly.... 

Edited by Isla

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.