Why isn’t Charli XCX’s Used To Know Me a bop?

15 hours ago, RebellionSparkles said:

I got Britney BOMT vibes from Charli XCX’s Used To Know Me bc the iconic music video is what made me pay attention to the song…why is Used To Know Me not a bop? Did Charli get cancelled? 🙊

The backup dancers in the video are the most iconic part of the video.

Charli wasn't cancelled, it's just her and Atlantic had a fall out..

They wanted her to do Mainstream Music, research vroom vroom ep, and why she treated Sucker like the ugly stepchild and her 3 most recognizable songs as her personally hated songs. 

When she did the entire Taylor swift tour as the opening act. 

Even some fans still say this should have been her biggest career move but Her love of hyperpop and her label pretty much if it wasn't for a contract, Atlantic wouldn't release her Music  

Even Marina celebrated that her days as a major label artist are over. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Charli wasn't cancelled, it's just her and Atlantic had a fall out..

They wanted her to do Mainstream Music, research vroom vroom ep, and why she treated Sucker like the ugly stepchild and her 3 most recognizable songs as her personally hated songs. 

When she did the entire Taylor swift tour as the opening act. 

Even some fans still say this should have been her biggest career move but Her love of hyperpop and her label pretty much if it wasn't for a contract, Atlantic wouldn't release her Music  

Even Marina celebrated that her days as a major label artist are over. 

Which category does Used to Know fall into? I hope this is one that Charli likes because I love the song and I hate all the major labels…labels shouldn’t be a thing anymore; they are a relic from the physical music age.

8 minutes ago, RebellionSparkles said:

Which category does Used to Know fall into? I hope this is one that Charli likes because I love the song and I hate all the major labels…labels shouldn’t be a thing anymore; they are a relic from the physical music age.

My basic-ness knows no bounds so I’m guessing Used To Know falls into mainstream…but those backup dancers in the music video are A FORCE…it’s worth a watch just to see them. They are the show stoppers 😍😆

13 minutes ago, RebellionSparkles said:

Well the video is pretty shady.

From the underwear saying sell out, to flashing Atlantic records, she covers all her eras, but it's definitely throwing shade at Atlantic for refusing Charli XCX to be an artist and experiment musucally.

It definitely used to be this 20 years ago but since the streaming era, the fans might have won.

But the labels are punishing the artists cos their pissed, at one point they controlled what you liked via MTV, and such. 

But that isn't the case anymore and theit pissed that their losing their control on the public. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lane said:

Is it even an official single or just a promotional single? Regardless, I love the song and it's one of the highlights on Crash.

Promo all the 4 tracks have been released

Good ones (fav idea for a hedonistic very dark **** funeral)

New shapes with Christine and the queens and Charlotte palmonik (video explains the whole stupid small talk on late nite tv, with the host referencing I hope nothing controversial happens here)

Baby (the most influenced Janet Jackson track on what is called her Janet album)

Beg for you (Rina and Charli plus the sample of September's Cry for you is a call on the dance floor)

The lone ballad Every Rule (wanting to hook up. But she's breaking all the rules by catching feelings, that seems to be in films and music, like hooking up but hate the idea of falling in love, cos the heart has never been broken) is a promo single 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ElToxico said:

Because she isn't on the Payola payroll list.

It's a real shame but this goes to tell you how awful the music industry is. Even if you have a killer record, if your label isn't throwing money at it and harassing radio stations you have zero chances of success.

Is payola still a thing?—a sincere question, not sassy.

I kinda think yes. But then who gets the payola on YouTube? 

4 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Promo all the 4 tracks have been released

Good ones (fav idea for a hedonistic very dark **** funeral)

New shapes with Christine and the queens and Charlotte palmonik (video explains the whole stupid small talk on late nite tv, with the host referencing I hope nothing controversial happens here)

Baby (the most influenced Janet Jackson track on what is called her Janet album)

Beg for you (Rina and Charli plus the sample of September's Cry for you is a call on the dance floor)

The lone ballad Every Rule (wanting to hook up. But she's breaking all the rules by catching feelings, that seems to be in films and music, like hooking up but hate the idea of falling in love, cos the heart has never been broken) is a promo single 

A major question I have is: when I play this song, why don’t My friends already know it?

im very uncomfortable as a music innovator 😂…but I feel like this song is a universal bop (especially with the music video with the two gods of backup dancing)…why dont people

know it?

9 minutes ago, RebellionSparkles said:

Is payola still a thing?—a sincere question, not sassy.

I kinda think yes. But then who gets the payola on YouTube? 

It's clearly a reality, I don't think there's a point in talking about it anymore as nothing will ever change and thats why it isn't a trending topic.

With Youtube, you also need money to direct traffic onto a new video (paid media, content syndication, activation, etc), specially without organic aid from offline channels

1 hour ago, ElToxico said:

I don't think there's a point in talking about it anymore as nothing will ever change and thats why it isn't a trending topic.

With Youtube, you also need money to direct traffic onto a new video (paid media, content syndication, activation, etc),

Ohhhh this is an interesting take that I haven’t thought of…maybe current payola is more indirect, labels paying for ads to channel traffic to an influencer??

I agree with you that payola seems alive and well…but how it works is a mystery to me. And I don’t think one of the payola influencers would ever convince me to listen to a song/watch the video. I learned about the song & video here on BH.

@JayTawndre how did you hear about the video debut Used To Know Me? You are the reason I first watched it…and now I’m obsessed (especially with the backup dancers).

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block