This Day in Pop: Lady Gaga releases 'The Fame' (Aug 19, 2008)

A day like today, but 13 years ago, Lady Gaga released her debut studio album. The one that started her pop dominance. 

I personally love this record. I remember seeing some 'LaDy GaGa' featuring Akon in YouTube and thinking to myself: "so whoever she is thinks is gonna be successful with that name" :clown_meme__makeup_green:

Since it kept popping, I decided to give it a chance... the rest is history.

I want to run down the tracklist and give my opinion on each song. 

Just Dance (feat. Colby O'Donis & Akon): What a smash, I still get turnt up whenever I hear it. The bridge alone makes me quake.  What happened to Colby and Akon, btw?

LoveGame: probIably my favorite one in the record. I was desperate for it becoming a single. I think she could've done a better music video but I am not complaining.

Paparazzi: what a bop. Gaga referred to fame as if she were thirsty for it back in the day. It's really interesting to see how her perspective has changed. The music video is a masterpiece. 

Poker Face: and the real slayage began here. The beat, the vocals, the music video, the Great Danes in the music video, the looks, the mu-mu-mu-mah... everything was iconic. 

Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say): this song deserved a lot more, it's cute, catchy, and the music video is an aesthetic serve.

Beautiful, Dirty, Rich: I never could get into this one :teigen_chrissy_eek_awkward_um_cringe:

The Fame: another bop, guitars slap in this one... all we care about is ****ographic girls on filming body plastic :groovin_dance_clap_alien_monster_party_costume_Halloween_spooky_scary:

Money Honey: back in the day, I really enjoyed this song. I don't come back to it as much now.

Starstruck (feat. Space Cowboy & Flo Rida): a bit dated, I mean, it featured Flo Rida. The song is a bop, though. Any Space Cowboy enthusiasts here? He was pretty cool.

Boys, Boys, Boys: :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom::blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom: why in the world this wasn't a single?! It would have been a monster hit. Such a fun song... the line "let's go see The Killers and make out in the bleachers" makes me transcend :dead_falling_wig_dying:

Paper Gangsta: a bit of the odd one in the album in my opinion. It's a cool track, I liked how it had its little cameo in the Telephone music video.

Brown Eyes: I love this one. When I heard it I thought that it'd be great to see her in the future with this type of ballads. She delivered.

I Like it Rough: another of my early favorites. Just as with Money Honey, I don't go back to it as much.

Summerboy: just like Brown Eyes, she sounds more organic here, I loved the guitars and the melody. Pretty cool song.

Disco Heaven: 2020/2021 vibes anyone? :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

How about you? Do you like this album? Which songs do you still visit?

• Love 1

A great debut album. 

At the very beginning I used to think she was too full of herself as if she already was a very successful and established act - which is exactly why she became a phenomenon: she truly believed in her vision. 

The record is cohesive both sonically and visually.  Although it was not so much avant-garde as most people would think, it definitely marked a shift in the whole pop music scene. 

13 years after that Gaga is nowhere to be found.  

I’ll never get why musicians start embarking in other ventures after their big breakthrough and don’t ever stick to the music only. 
It’s quite sad for music lovers. 

• Super Mods

What an amazing debut! Its definitely one of the best debut albums of the 2000s!

I was 14-15 when it came out and I remember LOVING IT and playing it on my ipod OVER AND OVER again lol

I loved all of the songs but my fave was Boys Boys Boys.

That song should've been a single with a video!

Lady Gaga's debut album was probably the biggest debut album since Baby One More Time

cause I remember she blew up BIG with this album!

Oh the sweet memories of my teen years! :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block