Happy 40th Birthday, here is Madonna's first interview in 1984.

August 1st, 1981, MTV launched, many people called it a joke, but it's a huge part of 1980s pop culture, and shifted the Music industry big time, certain stars are the pioneers of this Network, Prince, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Madonna are considered the 4 biggest acts that understood MTV, the best. 

Here's the first interview Madonna had with MTV, just months before the first VMAS ever happened which Madonna would cement her status as the empress of MTV.  The ultimate video star for females in MTV peak prime..

Viceland is devoting a special to each pioneer of MTV from the days of its huge popularity. 

They plan on 2023 doing a trl era doc when that hits 25 years, Britney would be covered there on a special that's called TRL, the last decade that MTV had relevancy. 

What killed trl, was the rise of the mp3, as many would go to the Virgin megastore to buy the latest cd for whoever was promoting when iTunes happened the crowds outside kept getting less and less and Trl was struggling sadly even with the rise of MySpace.  

Here's a clip from viceland MTV special devoted to Madonna. 

Seymour Stein said I heard one song, I had to sign her, I knew she was gonna be the biggest female out there, I was right she's the best selling female artist of all time, nobody can snatch that title away from her, Mimi can have the US, but Madonna has the title for the entire world, she can't be replaced, neither can her crown. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

I wouldn’t put Prince or Whitney in that list of greatest artists.

Prince was before Michael Jackson the first black artist to be played by MTV, but that was because little red Corvette was rock and roll and 1999, was synth pop mixed with funk..

MTV supported prince, the problem like Quincy Jones said was Michael Jackson was considered jazz artists, and they weren't supposed to be playing jazz or soul music it wasn't there thing, but Walter yankoff, head of CBS (Michael label) told MTV play his videos, or I will take all of my roster away, they were forced to play Michael Jackson by that threat, even David Bowie who did just dance with Nile rodgers, even said why aren't you playing black artists, they said unless they're rock and roll, they won't play them).

Whitney was the first woman of color that MTV embraced, but her overall sound was pop and not really urban til 1990's I'm your baby tonight, but still whitney Houston is an important subject to cover on the early days of MTV, Janet Jackson and other women of color wouldn't have happened on MTV without whitney Houston..

Off topic, I don't know if it's to coincide with the anniversary,  but starting this week, VH1 has stopped existing and became MTV 00's, focused just in music of that era, at least in Latin America, idk other places.

Don't get me wrong, I love that era, but now they won't show videos from other decades since apparently now they have MTV 80's and 90's in different channels (that are not in my cable package lol), and apparently no new videos either. VH1 was cool because they showed music from all eras and almost no commercials.

The Latin American signal had died a few years ago anyways, so they were only showing music in English since then instead of Spanish and English. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block