Remember when Billboard sl**-shamed Brit and Xtina

I know this article is from *another time* (early January 2004) when sl**-shaming and the patriarchy were not widely discussed concepts, but oof...it reads as so bonkers today. Basically the article suggests that ***ual explicitness by female artists is one of the reasons for declining sales. Here's a screenshot of the article when it was in print. 

Sdrskie.jpg

A condensed version can be read here. 

I just had to round up the most hilarious quotes: 

Jewel for example, has gone from folk songstress to cover girl, and 40-something Sheryl Crow struts onstage in hot pants even as she bemoans that other artists are being marketed like '**** stars.'

While some considered Madonna's kiss with Spears at the MTV Awards a symbolic anointing or passing of the vamp torch, it was more like she was casting off a worn pair of shoes. Today, the pop diva's well-cultivated image as a mother and children's book author is much more reflective of the times.

That mood plays into the resurgence of the singer/songwriter, where audiences are eager to hear what the individual has to say...Alicia Keys is representative of the trend. Her songs are introspective and soulful. Her image, while also ***ual, also exudes strength and character. Not surprisingly, her latest album is doing well on the charts.

Why would Alicia Keys and Norah Jones be "vamping it up" when they were in different genres? Never mind that Britney and Xtina co-wrote/produced multiple tracks on ITZ and Stripped. 

The fear is that such rising stars as Beyonce Knowles could fall into the trap [of playing the ***ual card to juice sales]. Although her vamp quotient is low, some of the songs on her latest album, "Dangerously In Love," flirt with vampiness. 

Spears, of course, has played the s** card most often and most blatantly in the face of declining sales. Her biggest single BOMT, cut when her image was most wholesome, spent 39 weeks on the singles charts in 1998, including seven weeks in the top spot. Her last single to hit No. 1 on the chart was "I'm A Slave 4 U" in 2001. It spent one week at the top.

Wasn't Slave 4 U during the time Clear Channel wasn't playing her songs? And yeah she would be more "wholesome" during BOMT because she was just 16 then. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: 

Edited by spectral_lights
link correction
  • Haha 1
  • Super Mods

The way our society changed in only 15 years from that hot mess to what we have today is insane! Only 10 -15 years ago slu*t-shaming women was even encouraged. I think that all the generations wanted women to obey to the rules of the str8 white male up until millennials grew up. We really changed the record and thats when most of the str8 men were put into their place, meaning to mind their own fu*king business and let women do whatever they wanna do.

Gen Z is following in our footsteps for sure :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: The moment millennials grew up enough to make financial decisions, all of these magazines and neswpapers changed the way they speak about women. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ohoney said:

How dramatic people were back then,they look fully covered compared to nowadays, I wonder how would they feel if a video like WAP wa released at that time:tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

How Many Licks and My Neck My Back say “hello.”

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block