Exhale Book Club

nwonder

• Super Mods

I just finished reading "Lost Connections" by Johann Harri. Its a book about how modern society is very depressed and anxious and tries to find a way out by using antidepressants. However, he concludes we are depressed because we are lonely, lost, and out of touch with our nature and our basic needs. The whole capitalistic world is working against us and its making us feel very lost. I would recommend it to everyone, its a quality read :verycool_britney_nod_glory_yes_yas_mhmm:

• Love 5
  • Like 1

I have two books in front of me, but I’m undecided which I’ll read next; both are critically acclaimed queer science fictiony types (I’m exploring queer fiction through different genres; I’ve never read sci-fi before).

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin 

Originally published in 1969, TLHOD is famous for exploring themes of gender and androgyny, as well as introducing the idea of ambise.xuality (having no fixed se.x due to the ability to switch when required) to science fiction literature. It won every literary award going back in the day.

left_hand_cover054.jpg

Or 

Ammonite by Nicola Griffith 

Published more recently in 1992, Ammonite (not to be confused with the Kate Winslet/Saoirse Ronan lesbian period drama released this year) is meditation on queer ideologies, exploring themes of se.xuality, illusion and gender. More specifically, it examines whether a world inhabited entirely by women would be a gentler or better one. The answer is apparently surprising.

517GqTJBUlL.jpg

Any ideas which one to start with?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Thelegendarybritney said:

her childhood was rough and her family is really messed up :umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide:

:sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:

13 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

I just finished reading "Lost Connections" by Johann Harri. Its a book about how modern society is very depressed and anxious and tries to find a way out by using antidepressants. However, he concludes we are depressed because we are lonely, lost, and out of touch with our nature and our basic needs. The whole capitalistic world is working against us and its making us feel very lost. I would recommend it to everyone, its a quality read :verycool_britney_nod_glory_yes_yas_mhmm:

ooh this sounds amazing and insightful. Will look it up!! I remember reading a book called lagom which is a Swedish book about living a balanced life through minimalism

laogm_book_cover_800_2048x.jpg?v=1598023

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Justin Woodpond said:

I have two books in front of me, but I’m undecided which I’ll read next; both are critically acclaimed queer science fictiony types (I’m exploring queer fiction through different genres; I’ve never read sci-fi before).

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin 

Originally published in 1969, TLHOD is famous for exploring themes of gender and androgyny, as well as introducing the idea of ambise.xuality (having no fixed se.x due to the ability to switch when required) to science fiction literature. It won every literary award going back in the day.

Or 

Ammonite by Nicola Griffith 

Published more recently in 1992, Ammonite (not to be confused with the Kate Winslet/Saoirse Ronan lesbian period drama released this year) is meditation on queer ideologies, exploring themes of se.xuality, illusion and gender. More specifically, it examines whether a world inhabited entirely by women would be a gentler or better one. The answer is apparently surprising.

Any ideas which one to start with?

Oh I haven’t read either but they both sound really interesting. Ammonite would probably be my choice I think 

:brityes_britney_yes_nodding:

• Like 1

I recently finished The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet and it was amazing. Couldn’t put the book down.

I started reading All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr but its been hard to get into. It’s depressing at the moment and this year has that covered lol

I think my next read will be Pretty Things by Janelle Brown

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
2 hours ago, nwonder said:

:sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:

ooh this sounds amazing and insightful. Will look it up!! I remember reading a book called lagom which is a Swedish book about living a balanced life through minimalism

laogm_book_cover_800_2048x.jpg?v=1598023

Ohhh i might just order this one. I would recommend the website called bookdepository.com They literally have all the books that might cross your mind :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: and its free shipping :yay_britney_excited_ftr_for_the_record_2008_cheering_clapping: check it out.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I recently finished The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet and it was amazing. Couldn’t put the book down.

I started reading All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr but its been hard to get into. It’s depressing at the moment and this year has that covered lol

I think my next read will be Pretty Things by Janelle Brown

I was pondering reading ATLWCS but I decided not to end. I’m glad I stuck by my decision lol

The vanishing half sounds right up my street. Adding to my list 

:howiroll_beyonce_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_white_shirt_hands:

1 hour ago, Justin Woodpond said:

This one does sounds very good

Have you read Woman In the Window?

I think I remember hearing about it but never read. Is it good? Love anything thriller-ish 

2 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

Ohhh i might just order this one. I would recommend the website called bookdepository.com They literally have all the books that might cross your mind :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: and its free shipping :yay_britney_excited_ftr_for_the_record_2008_cheering_clapping: check it out.

Ha ha don’t judge me but I tend to buy digital downloads of books so I can easily read them on the train. I do prefer having physical copies of books but digital books are so much more convenient 

:idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

Yess. Let me know what you think of Lagom if you read it.

I also recommend IQ84 by Murakami if anyone hasn’t read it. It’s quite possibly one of the most amazing books I’ve ever read

519r4TImKdL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, nwonder said:

I was pondering reading ATLWCS but I decided not to end. I’m glad I stuck by my decision lol

The vanishing half sounds right up my street. Adding to my list 

:howiroll_beyonce_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_white_shirt_hands:

I think I remember hearing about it but never read. Is it good? Love anything thriller-ish 

Ha ha don’t judge me but I tend to buy digital downloads of books so I can easily read them on the train. I do prefer having physical copies of books but digital books are so much more convenient 

Yess. Let me know what you think of Lagom if you read it.

I also recommend IQ84 by Murakami if anyone hasn’t read it. It’s quite possibly one of the most amazing books I’ve ever read

519r4TImKdL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You might like Woman In The Window so. It’s a 2018 runway bestseller and another of those very twisty thrillers with an unreliable narrator (along the lines of Girl on The Train and Gone Girl). The ending is a surprise. The film is coming out soon with Amy Adams so read (or listen) to it before it does. The trailer kind of gives away some elements I’d rather discover in the book 😉 

I love Muakami, I have read a number of his book. His writing is so tender. And his stories often have weird fantastical elements mixed with dull realism. I haven’t read IQ84, but plan to. 

I recommend his novel Dance, Dance, Dance if you like a bit of mystery. One of my favourite quotes for it is:

“Life is a lot more fragile than we think. So you should treat others in a way that leaves no regrets. Fairly, and if possible, sincerely.”

So true. Though I often forget 😢

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Justin Woodpond said:

You might like Woman In The Window so. It’s a 2018 runway bestseller and another of those very twisty thrillers with an unreliable narrator (along the lines of Girl on The Train and Gone Girl). The ending is a surprise. The film is coming out soon with Amy Adams so read (or listen) to it before it does. The trailer kind of gives away some elements I’d rather discover in the book 😉 

I love Muakami, I have read a number of his book. His writing is so tender. And his stories often have weird fantastical elements mixed with dull realism. I haven’t read IQ84, but plan to. 

I recommend his novel Dance, Dance, Dance if you like a bit of mystery. One of my favourite quotes for it is:

“Life is a lot more fragile than we think. So you should treat others in a way that leaves no regrets. Fairly, and if possible, sincerely.”

So true. Though I often forget 😢

Oooh can’t believe I missed out on Woman in the window. Deff gonna check that out next!! I live for that ish.

Yess, you’ll love IQ84. It’s long tho and there are two books.

I think I might re-read again soon

Life is a lot more fragile than we think. So you should treat others in a way that leaves no regrets. Fairly, and if possible, sincerely.”

:)

love this 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block