Mexican pop band OV7 releases new video from home for Al Ritmo de la Vida

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.1283a66f53fccd32d71bda1b2dedd171.jpg

Most of you might be unfamiliar with this group, but believe it or not they were once one of the most successful groups in the music scene in Mexico. They started since they were kids at the end of the 80's as "La Onda Vaselina" then changed it to simply "Onda Vaselina" in the mid 90's until in 2000 they had a complete change, renaming the band as OV7. This last change came after they decided to drop her former manager and creator of the group, Mexican actress Julissa, in one of the most controversial events of Mexican pop history, since many people saw it as a betrayal. Thing is they were seeking for independence and control over the group's direction, but Julissa wouldn't allow it, so they all told her they were quitting, while in complicity with the record label reformed as a new group, OV7.

They then went on to release CD 00 in 2000, their most successful album and one of the best selling records in Mexico according to AMPROFON. The group disbanded in 2003, right when they were about to record their first album in English. They came back in 2010 with just 6 members, then they were 5, sometimes 7 again lol 

R-8706609-1467024813-4331.jpeg.jpg

Last year, it was the 30th anniversary of the formation of the group, but they didn't celebrate it properly because they were still part of the joint tour 90's Pop Tour, which was very successful and lasted almost 3 years, and also because one of the members had a baby, so they decided to celebrate it with a tour this year. However, coronavirus happened, so it had to be postponed. 

The tour is now supposed to start in late August, but we'll have to wait and see how is the situation going by then. Meanwhile, they released a music video made from home for Al Ritmo de la Vida, a 20 year old track that came out in that album I mentioned, which is really cool and unexpected considering it wasn't released as a single back then.

They had already released another video during this quarantine

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, OnlyFacts said:

Who? :omg:

:gloria:

OV7 

they used to be so popular in Mexico and Spain before reggaeton came to infest everything and pop still ruled the music scene  :fakecry:

to be fair, it's their fault for disbanding in 2003, right when they were at the peak of their success, and literally seconds before jumping into the American market, only because some of them wanted to pursue a solo career.

Only one of them had success though :nochillbrit: 

They still have a lot of fans, but it's mostly people in their 30's and 40's. So, they don't have any streaming power, but they're still selling stadiums

On 6/30/2020 at 2:36 PM, PokemonSpears said:

:gloria:

OV7 

they used to be so popular in Mexico and Spain before reggaeton came to infest everything and pop still ruled the music scene  :fakecry:

to be fair, it's their fault for disbanding in 2003, right when they were at the peak of their success, and literally seconds before jumping into the American market, only because some of them wanted to pursue a solo career.

Only one of them had success though :nochillbrit: 

They still have a lot of fans, but it's mostly people in their 30's and 40's. So, they don't have any streaming power, but they're still selling stadiums

Wow I totally remember having this album when I was a child, when it was the theme song for a telenovela. I remember seeing one of their shows when I was in Mexico for a summer and it was so packed and overwhelming. I didn't follow much of the their career after their first album, but this performance shows they still have it, all these years later. What a great pop group!

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block