Surprise! Beyonce Is Featured On Eminem’s New Single “Walk On Water”

Jordan Miller

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cheri said:

feminem sounding like some whack **** from fort minor with that line lmao neixxu.jpg

i was waiting for the boring "omg gotcha!!!" shyamalan twist at the end of this **** song. glad to know he's just as predictable as he has been for the past 15 years neixxu.jpg

the comments  rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

"Napst on 9 minutes ago

ok so Im drunk now and Im back and I lsitened tho this **** again and it´s stil ******* garbage lamo"

rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

"Eminem needs to start doing ***** again"

rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

14 minutes ago, cheri said:

rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

"When hes trying to be emotional why tf does he think its a good time to compare anything to khakis"
rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

rain man is better than this **** and a large portion of that was a drugged up freestyle. rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

make **** great againrsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

u gotta see this one:

"I haven't heard this yet, i'll play it while eating, hope it's good"

"You're going to throw up"

rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

So, initial thoughts: it's actually pretty beautiful, albeit in a depressing way (for numerous reasons). It reminds me of his track, ironically called "Beautiful," where he speaks about how, over the past two decades, he's essentially conquered all us demons lyrically, and now he has nothing left to give--but knows he'll be "one tough act to follow." 

In the same vein, "Walk on Water" is painfully self-aware, and self-deprecating. It's an internal argument he's audibly voicing. He knows he can't live up to his iconic status anymore, and he hates to let his millions of fans down. But at the same time, he's a fighter and doesn't want to give up; he wants to believe he can still be inspirational, and talented, without being on ***** and viscerally tortured by his past.

Is it his best song ever? Absolutely not. But it's honest and raw, which is something that's incredibly rare in this industry. 

And I'm not a fan of Beyonce, but her vocals are stunning here--they sound haunting, which captures the emotion of the track. 

15 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

Also, really Eminem? Saying “this is ********” in 2017? Keep it classy :tiffcackle:

Yeah I've never been a fan of that; however, if Eminem were suddenly to become PC, he'd piss even more people off. It's not verbiage I'd personally defend, but also realize this is a lose-lose situation for him.

41 minutes ago, cheri said:

"this **** is garbage" glad u said it for me marshall neixxu.jpg

That's what I like about it though. He KNOWS it's not anywhere on par with what he can do/has done. He's literally in angst, calling his new material "garbage," trying to remind himself that he was the same genius responsible for "Stan." It makes him, once again, painfully relatable but in a whole new way. 

Like, imagine if Britney, rather than saying "I have nothing to prove," and doing watered down versions of her old routine, embraced that she was now an entirely new woman and could never live up to her former glory again. I think it would give people a whole new respect for her, because rather than living off her prime to grasp to relevancy, she'd have to become a whole new artist entirely (whilst honestly acknowledging her previous self was superior). It's not an admission many icons would be willing to make.

The quality of the new track isn't what I love, but the raw vulnerability is pretty damn inspiring to me.

22 minutes ago, cheri said:

see that's the thing, this whole self-reflection tongue in cheek **** isn't doing it for me  rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

feminem has made fun of himself throughout his entire career (being a white rapper in a sea of black rappers, his issues with debbie, kim, even the way he handled the ja situation sometimes, etc) but this is just not authentic to me. maybe if this came out right after proof's death (and guaranteed it would have better lines too bc he was a better writer back then) i'd buy into it more. but now he's just fishing for **** to write about, last resort ****. his nonfiction and fiction narratives circuits are short now and he's aware of it, so he's trying to act all self aware on another level and go along with the classic "ill say what u think of me b4 u guyz say it!" eminem rhetoric but the thing is, it's too late. the ship has sailed. he hasnt addressed it in 15 years and only chose now bc he's suffering writers block. im not down with that rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

I respect your opinion, and I'm sure a lot of long-term Em fans feel the same. But as I noted previously, he has alluded to this exact same thing many previously, most notably in "Beautiful." He talks about how he's lost the interest of the masses, and he's terrified to let people see that it's all been a facade. I don't know, I honestly think it's brave (and also sounds like he believes this will be his last record).

ETA: All I hope for is one final world tour; seeing him live is an absolute bucket list item for me, and he still kills it live. I watched his record-breaking sold-out concert in London from just a few years ago on YouTube, and even on there (with the horrible quality) it was beyond amazing. He did all of his hits, deep cuts and new material without ever stopping to take a break; he just killed it for over two hours straight. So, I'm sincerely hoping he does a world tour before he bows out for good.

12 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

That's what I like about it though. He KNOWS it's not anywhere on par with what he can do/has done. He's literally in angst, calling his new material "garbage," trying to remind himself that he was the same genius responsible for "Stan." It makes him, once again, painfully relatable but in a whole new way. 

Like, imagine if Britney, rather than saying "I have nothing to prove," and doing watered down versions of her old routine, embraced that she was now an entirely new woman and could never live up to her former glory again. I think it would give people a whole new respect for her, because rather than living off her prime to grasp to relevancy, she'd have to become a whole new artist entirely (whilst honestly acknowledging her previous self was superior). It's not an admission many icons would be willing to make.

The quality of the new track isn't what I love, but the raw vulnerability is pretty damn inspiring to me.

but at the end of the day, what we do is listening to music. if it's not sonically/lyrically good then there's no point praising it. i'm not (and you're not) going to listen to Walk on Water regularly because of the vulnerability and self-depreciation it contains (which he has always done and on actually good songs btw).

Archived