Is the "Funeral Version" of Gimme More just Urban Legend?

Circuit

I think so.

There was never any real evidence to indicate the existence of the "scrapped" funeral scenes.

• According to old articles from 2007 on breatheheavy.com, Britney was filming a music video for her new song "Get Back," (which was rumored to be the lead single off of the then-untitled Blackout at the time) not Gimme More. The article includes tagged "behind the scenes" photos that could have been of anything, and Britney is nowhere to be seen in any of these pictures. raising suspicion.
  • The behind-the-scenes photographer for the Gimme More video had no knowledge of any funeral scenes being filmed.
  • There are also no known photos of Britney during these funeral scenes. There are behind the scenes pictures of her in the ******** pole scenes, street scenes, and apartment/bed scenes, but no funeral scenes. Britney was one of the most photographed celebrities in 2007, with anyone using any chance they could get to take and sell her picture to media outlets. And still, no photos of this "funeral scene" have leaked.

If I missed anything, let me know!

What do you think? Are the Funeral Scenes solely urban legend?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rather believe so. I think it was probably just derived from speculation based on her all black costume with the veiled hat. That costume made someone think of funeral attire, the idea entered the fandom, and then came full circle by people using that costume to support the rumour. 

And it's held up over the years because people love conspiracies and want things to be more complex than they really are - believing she was intending to make some sort of commentary about her media harassment, breaking away from the manufactured "Britney Spears"  image, and her breakdown itself. 

I mean, we have footage of her in a funeral hat. But those pictures you posted weren't of the funeral. They were of the Elvis-inspired club, which is confirmed. Britney put a lot of Elvis references into the GM video, which is why the VMAs performance started out with an Elvis cover. There was even an Elvis impersonator in the video who confirmed he worked on it but his scenes were scrapped.

4 hours ago, Circuit said:

I think so.

There was never any real evidence to indicate the existence of the "scrapped" funeral scenes.

• According to old articles from 2007 on breatheheavy.com, Britney was filming a music video for her new song "Get Back," (which was rumored to be the lead single off of the then-untitled Blackout at the time) not Gimme More. The article includes tagged "behind the scenes" photos that could have been of anything, and Britney is nowhere to be seen in any of these pictures. raising suspicion.
  • The behind-the-scenes photographer for the Gimme More video had no knowledge of any funeral scenes being filmed.
  • There are also no known photos of Britney during these funeral scenes. There are behind the scenes pictures of her in the ******** pole scenes, street scenes, and apartment/bed scenes, but no funeral scenes. Britney was one of the most photographed celebrities in 2007, with anyone using any chance they could get to take and sell her picture to media outlets. And still, no photos of this "funeral scene" have leaked.

If I missed anything, let me know!

What do you think? Are the Funeral Scenes solely urban legend?

Yes, it is a urban legend. She was just walking into the club dressed like a "black widow" or **** like that.

2 hours ago, Tetris said:

I rather believe so. I think it was probably just derived from speculation based on her all black costume with the veiled hat. That costume made someone think of funeral attire, the idea entered the fandom, and then came full circle by people using that costume to support the rumour. 

And it's held up over the years because people love conspiracies and want things to be more complex than they really are - believing she was intending to make some sort of commentary about her media harassment, breaking away from the manufactured "Britney Spears"  image, and her breakdown itself. 

Exactly.
It's worth mentioning that the whole "funeral scene" theme was 100% recycled from an OLD rumors about a Mona Lisa video.

From what I've heard, what was planned as the «funeral version» was never filmed. I believe I read that Britney refused to film some of the scenes that were planned to be on the video (the funeral scenes), and that's probably why we got a video that didn't made much sense (and the reason's why the Director's Cut didn't had any of this footage: it just doesn't exist).

2 hours ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

I mean, we have footage of her in a funeral hat. But those pictures you posted weren't of the funeral. They were of the Elvis-inspired club, which is confirmed. Britney put a lot of Elvis references into the GM video, which is why the VMAs performance started out with an Elvis cover. There was even an Elvis impersonator in the video who confirmed he worked on it but his scenes were scrapped.

This could be a thread unto itself however what is the reason for all the "Elvis References" I'm so confused... I knew the VMA opening "if you're looking for trouble" was an Elvis reference but what about everything else? Does she just like Elvis? Queen of mystery :calculating:

41 minutes ago, LoanSPW said:

From what I've heard, what was planned as the «funeral version» was never filmed. I believe I read that Britney refused to film some of the scenes that were planned to be on the video (the funeral scenes), and that's probably why we got a video that didn't made much sense (and the reason's why the Director's Cut didn't had any of this footage: it just doesn't exist).

That's what I've heard from one of the "dancers" that appeared on the video. 

but then there was another day where she was papped going to another day of shooting with shorter brown hair and green contacts i believe wearing a white/cream puffy blouse and black short shorts... but nothing from that day of shooting saw the light of day either.

13 hours ago, Tetris said:

This is exactly what it was though... Blackout was supposed to be the statement she wanted to make with Original Doll, but full circle. Her hair dyed black was supposed to represent the death of poppy, bottle blonde Britney and the birth of new, dark Britney. She hinted at a change from 2004-2006, especially everything she wrote and put up on her website. It's not a conspiracy theory anymore when we have multiple pieces of a puzzle that fit perfectly together. Not to mention Mona Lisa, Original Doll, Rebellion, Crucify Me, Who Can She Trust, etc.

To conclude she wasn't trying to say anything is delusional. It just never came to fruition because 2007 got the best of her and she couldn't handle a proper era.

Archived