Tinashe Drops Red Hot Pop Anthem "Flame": Listen

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Let it burn.

Tell me that you still got the flame.

Here we are. A year and some change has passed since Tinashe's forthcoming album Joyride was meant to premiere. That's not to say the 24-year-old hasn't kept her name out there. In the last year, the "SuperLove" singer teamed up with Far East Movement for "Freal Love," DaVido on "How Long," KDA on "Just Say", a remix of Britney Spears's "Slumber Party,", Tinie Tempah's "Text From Your Ex" and Lost King's "Quit You." To keep the creative juices flowing, Tinashe dropped a mixtape titled Nightride, a prequel to Joyride and deliriously underrated gem. But where's the album? That's the burning question, and we may have answers soon.

Tinashe just released her new song titled "Flame." She tapped Tricky Stewart (Britney Spears’ “Me Against The Music,” Rihanna’s “Umbrella,” Justin Bieber’s “One Time”) and The-Dream (Kanye West’s “Ultralight Beam,” Beyonce’s “Single Ladies”) for it. It's the most radio-friendly release she's ever put forth. While I usually find that strategy tireless and lazy, this is exactly the route Tinashe should go for now – attract a larger audience with the flamboyant hooks then tantalize them with bedroom indies later.

"Cold in the night when I hold you close," she sings over a colorful mid-tempo beat. "Searching your eyes but you're gone like a ghost / and I say baby you can put it on me / cause I know it don't make it easy / my body hurts with every heartbeat." Eventually, the songstress shows off her vocal chops with soaring oohs before dipping into the chorus. "Just say I'm not the only one / tell me that you still got the flame for me."

There's no telling when Joyride drops, but "Flame" is a great f--king start. Listen:

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of basic songs are becoming hits nowadays, so this song shouldn't have a problem performing well on the charts. Don't get me wrong, she needs a hit urgently to get her name out there! I love her, I'm not really here for this song, but she will have some sort of success with this. Good luck to her!

13 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Nobody was paying attention when she released the best R&B album of 2014 soo

Thank god the bars in NYC play "Company" all the time.

But this is even more disappointing than "Superlove." RCA doesn't know how to properly manage her skills and artistry into commercial success. On her own she's too abstract for radio, but they keep guiding her into these totally generic singles that aren't helping anyone out. 

19 minutes ago, Tetris said:

Thank god the bars in NYC play "Company" all the time.

But this is even more disappointing than "Superlove." RCA doesn't know how to properly manage her skills and artistry into commercial success. On her own she's too abstract for radio, but they keep guiding her into these totally generic singles that aren't helping anyone out. 

RCA is full of incompetence.

They had a perfect opportunity with Slumber Party.

They have two artists that are suffering on the charts and instead of using the single to their advantage, booking promo and getting it out there, nope! They choose to let it sit there and rot.

It would have been the song to put Britney and Glory back on the map and help Tinashe gain a bigger pop audience but nope! Too much work.

:meltdown:

30 minutes ago, BreatheOnMoi said:

I feel like she already was in the realm of fierce dancing songs tho, specially with her 2 On performance and the video for All Hands on Deck and etc etc, i feel like this is a step back for her. :(

She did get attention tho lol 2 On was everywhereeeee 

She can't make a step back, if she never made a step forward in the first place.

2 On wasn't as big as you're making it out to be, if that was the case why didn't AHOD take off?

We wouldn't even be having this conversation if she was just another run of the mill strict indie artist but she's signed to a major record label and has everything in her to be a STAR.

And yet, RCA chooses to pass her over time and time again. They literally stalled Joyride's lead single months back becuase they were "too busy" with ZAYN.

Which by the way, only pushed out one hit. :meltdown: Literally such a **** label.

Archived