Britney and Billboard + music industry

radar89

Is it just me to think that since day one Britney has always been thrown under the bus by Billboard in term of how high her songs charting? :queenriri: Let me break it down to you hos: 

1. A song as iconic as BOMT ONLY stayed at number 1 for only 1 or 2 weeks (sorry can't remember it at the top of my head) :rihit:

2. Her EXTREMELY popular songs like Oops and Toxic "only" peaked at number 9 :foh:

3. Even the well known I'm a Slave 4 U, Drive Me Crazy, Sometimes, Lucky, Me Against the Music Everytime could only chart somewhere in top 20 and some even 40. Compare to all those forgettable Rihanna/Katy songs that could chart higher

4. Her "lesser" known songs but still quite popular like I'm Not a Girl, Overprotected, Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know has a hard time to chart inside the top 100 

There were times where it did seem the music industry (Billboard being a huge part of it) was on her side, specifically in Circus and Femme Fatale where she could easily topped the chart

HOWEVER, to put things into perspective:

5. Why 3 and HIAM could shot up to no 1 while her considerably more popular songs like Gimme More, Everytime, Oops, Slave, Drive Me Crazy failed to do so :crying4:

For Glory, it becomes quite obvious when songs as good as Make Me and Slumber Party are again thrown under the bus by Billboard/music industry in general with low radio plays and general lack of iTunes/Spotify support

Of course at times we can blame Britney's team but I also believe music industry in general do not seem to want Britney to succeed. Discuss please :brit:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think it's the chart positions of BOMT and Toxic that made it what it was. The videos and performances helped a lot. BOMT was the most requested video on TRL. If she doesnt chart well anymore then who cares. She can find other ways to get her music to the masses as she did before. Also she's a touring power she just needs to get back on top of it.

1 hour ago, BritintheZone said:

I am shock that Ima Slave 4 U never got to even top 10 especially after the vma performance  :foh:

Exactly, Slave was the original Make Me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Make Me charted higher...

The music industry is a big game, sometimes Britney's team plays it, other times they don't. They have good intentions and want the music to "speak for itself".

**** that ****. It's time to start getting their hands dirty or they'll find themselves completely shut out of the industry.

3 hours ago, nels64 said:

I think the entire Britney era is proof that charts dont ******* matter as long as SHE supports the music. 

Hell ALL the Femme Fatale songs are super forgettable by the GP. No one remembers them. But they remember Work ***** because it had a catchy catch phrase and because that became a huge promo point. 

Y'all need to relax. Glory is her best critically acclaimed album since Oops! if she isnt have chart success I don't care. As long as she continues to support her music and perform and make videos. Which she is doing. So again the charts don't really matter. 

Even Do Somethin' and her version of My Prerogative are more recognizable and memorable than some of her high charting songs. 

Ia. For more that i like FF songs, I think the only one that is memorable is TTWE. And wb had more impact than HIAM of course. 

I mean, there are People that think MP was her song and not a cover. I think it has to do with the image too. On her prime, she had a bigger, stronger and powerful image. 

Of course there are People that dont know overprotected but know HIAM and so on, but yeah, HIAM became kinda forgettable :kidcries:

From circus, I think gp also dont know IUSA so well.

Correct but also let's remind ourselves that now the industry is crowded with new and trending acts; Drake, Weeknd, RiRi, Grande, Trainor, Alessia Cara, Mendez, Fifth Harmony, Beiber, Swift, ... I can go on and on and on.....

Back in the days, it was only Britney and other two Britney wannabes (Xtina Aguilera and Jessica Simpson) plus two very famous boy-bands. Britney was lucky enough to have enough spotlight on her and gain some real undivided public attention even without the radio support. 

Now it's quite the challenge for her to gain/regain that cuz there are just too too many acts so let's not blame the radio or Britney or her team because that's just the way it is.

:foh:

9 minutes ago, I just want more!! said:

Correct but also let's remind ourselves that now the industry is crowded with new and trending acts; Drake, Weeknd, RiRi, Grande, Trainor, Alessia Cara, Mendez, Fifth Harmony, Beiber, Swift, ... I can go on and on and on.....

Back in the days, it was only Britney and other two Britney wannabes (Xtina Aguilera and Jessica Simpson) plus two very famous boy-bands. Britney was lucky enough to have enough spotlight on her and gain some real undivided public attention even without the radio support. 

Now it's quite the challenge for her to gain/regain that cuz there are just too too many acts so let's not blame the radio or Britney or her team because that's just the way it is.

:foh:

Britney's peak during 1999 to 2004 was the time where RnB was huge and anti-Britney female act also made an impact (Avril, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys etc). So Britney being super popular definitely not because there were less competition :queenflopga2: Britney at her peak was a flawless dancer releasing flawless song with great charisma and personality :brit: She was definition of the whole package :brit:

Just now, radar89 said:

Britney's peak during 1999 to 2004 was the time where RnB was huge and anti-Britney female act also made an impact (Avril, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys etc). So Britney being super popular definitely not because there were less competition :queenflopga2: Britney at her peak was a flawless dancer releasing flawless song with great charisma and personality :brit: She was definition of the whole package :brit:

I meant in the pop scene! back in the days, Rnb and Hip Hop had its own world that wouldn't mix up with the pop world, in which Britney was the Madonna of it and killed it.

I agree that she was a flawless dancer and entertainer but she was also very lucky to have emerged at a time like that. Timing really played in her favor :saycheese:

I must say.. I worked for a consultancy firm from the IT Industry, and we used to make semestral charts based on the different competitors performance...(1.- IBM, 2.- T-MOBILE, ETC)

I KNOW IS NOT THE SAME BUT IT IS ALWAYS ABOUT THE CONVINIENCE OF THE CLIENT... IN THIS CASE THE ARTIST OR MUSIC LABELS THAT HAS MORE PARTNERSHIPS WITH BILLBOARD. 

Don´t missundertand me, there will always have to be some true in the charts, those are not invented from scratch, but some adjustments can be made in order to see the true with other perspective, to the convinience of the client; LIKE WHEN BILLBOARD CHANGE RULES FOR BLACKOUT OR THE DIFFERENT CHANGES IN THE METRICCS OF THE HOT 100; HAVING THE METRICS OF 2009 TOXIC EASILY WOULD BEEN A TOP 5...

So.. is about the money guys and Britney and her label are not investing in Glory, because no matter what happen, they still are having at least 75% of sales in every show of Piece of Me, ALBUMS ARE NOT A MONEY SOURCE ANYLONGER... 

enjoy the music, cheers!:forkit:

1 hour ago, nels64 said:

I think people remember IUSA because of the whole **** Me but don't necessarily remember the song as a whole or the video at all. 

But yeah people remember TTWE to an extent but it is defintely more forgettable than WB and Circus imo. So really I'd rather her build a memorable catalogue than have hits like HIAM, IWG, 3, S&S that become forgettable even though they smashed. 

Yeah, it had a big controversy back then but that was hit.

I love Circus, but i feel that ttwe is more remembered. And I love Circus, is one of my fav songs. 3 is more forgettable than HIAM and iwg and I dont think s&s is forgettable at all. I still hear it on parties once in awhile.

2 minutes ago, nels64 said:

Nah people I know completely forgot about S&S. I think 3 and Circus are kind of equally memorable. And a lot of times more than TTWE and HIAM. Point is though songs like Work ***** and Slave and Toxic which charted lower had more impact and are remembered more than any of the other songs we just mentioned. 

I think its like that imo

S&S > TTWE > Circus > HIAM > 3 

S&s still gets a lot of views per day for a song it was released 4 years ago.

But ia that wb's impact was way bigger

19 minutes ago, nels64 said:

Nah people I know completely forgot about S&S. I think 3 and Circus are kind of equally memorable. And a lot of times more than TTWE and HIAM. Point is though songs like Work ***** and Slave and Toxic which charted lower had more impact and are remembered more than any of the other songs we just mentioned. 

I agree. My boyfriend who doesn't really know any songs from Brit besides BOMT and OOPS sang the entire first chorus of Circus when I played it in my car with him...

He knows IUSA because of the f.u.c.k. me part.

Oops didn't have a physical CD single release in the US, it only had a limited release in order to make it eligible for the Hot 100. It peaked at #9 on the Hot 100 based on airplay alone, a proper physical release would've taken it without a doubt to #1 in the US, but Jive preferred to use this strategy in order to boost and focus on album sales.

In fact, the same happened to Slave and every other Britney single between 1999-2003 with the exception of BOMT, FTBOMBH and Stronger.

FTBOMBH had a proper release and it managed to sell 800 000+ copies and was the 8th best selling physical single of the 2000s in the US (not to mention that it was the final single from BOMT and was released almost a year after the album's debut)

1 minute ago, nels64 said:

I think Circus and 3 are at the top of that list. As far as being memorable Britney songs...but maybe it varies from location to location tbh. 

I think here in Brazil nobody remembers that song lol 

I understand your point but that's not the case...

Britney didnt released physical cd singles on the US, so that's the reason why some songs like Oops and Toxic didn't reached a better spot on the Hot 100.

During the Britney era the radios boycotted her songs for some contract reason that I don't remember exactly.

The reason why Womanizer, HIAM or 3 got a #1 position was because of the sales + the airplays. That was the first time she got sales support in the US besides BOMT, From the Bottom and Stronger.

But I do agree that she can make a song become a hit without the radio help like Work *****. Maybe even Make Me will turn out to be a memorable song, those tracks are like trademarks for me (unlike Slumber Party for example).

Archived