Britney’s “Radiance” Commercial

To put it simply, I want to briefly discuss the effortlessly comical “Radiance” commercial. On second thought, I guess you can say it’s a short appreciation thread, of sorts.

Personally, I never tried the fragrance myself, as I’ve never truly owned Britney-branded perfumes. However, what stood out to me was how blasé she seemed throughout this entire ad. It was short & simple, yet pleasantly filmed, but there was a sense of Britney not taking herself too seriously, & the concept also felt rather plain, which made it that much more perplexing to me. Hence, why I think it ended up harmonizing with meme culture during its time. Clearly, the main event was seeing Britney deliberately walk in with a fortune teller, sit in sight of a crystal ball, only to heedlessly walk out on the poor lady who’s likely only working for a quick buck.

In fact, it was such an enjoyable moment for me at the time, because for some reason, it felt very “current Britney,” & it also felt emblematic, in its own amusing ways. Again, I actually never bought the fragrance, but every time I watch this ad, it makes me feel like I should have, just to think back at this unexpectedly witty moment.

Here’s the video:

R.I.P. “Radiance”

You may have been discontinued, but your legacy somewhat lives on, thanks to this unusually cheeky moment.

What were your thoughts on this commercial, & did you ever own the fragrance?

4 minutes ago, CJMCH said:

Choose your own destiny. This commercial seemed rushed in terms of how little she prob recorded for it, but very on brand with the soon to be launched FF era.

I still need to get both Radiance and Cosmic Radiance.

Indeed, the ad did seem rushed & all. Ironically though, I think it elevated the aesthetic for the fragrance itself. However, this does seem slightly more lively than the entire FF era, but I definitely agree with you.

Also, “Radiance” would be nice to own, so I hope you find it sooner than later. :)

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, GirlOnTheMoon said:

I like the idea of “no thanks, I choose my own destiny”… But it felt disjointed from the perfume itself. I think it’s obvious (now looking back) that she really didn’t want to do this. The ad feels rushed, AI and short.

I like the phrase as well, but you’re right. It didn’t feel relevant to the fragrance, & it was missing “story,” but I think that’s what makes it stand out. It’s just funny.

58 minutes ago, Dark Willow said:

I choose my own destiny.

Domination.

So bizarre the c-ship projects tried to create the independent woman persona for Britney... in reality she had the same rights of a 8 year old girl. 

No wonder everything looked so forced and lifeless for the most part.

Have you read her memoir, she was so resilient during the c-ship, it’s crazy. That said, I love stumbling upon this ad, even though it makes no sense to me —& that phrase at the end is emblematic, for sure.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.