Reminiscing On “The Joy Of Pepsi”

I wanted to briefly discuss this commercial, as it carries massive nostalgia for me. I’m sure many of us owned the film, Britney: The Videos, which included this specific promo, & I can’t express how many times I rewatched, never to become bored. In fact, I always felt inspired by Britney, for everything she presented herself to be. She was so simple, yet so extravagant —which I believe is what made her so intriguing, & this Pepsi commercial is a clear representation of that. I recall showing this ad to my friends years after it aired, just in case they’d never seen it, & they loved it. Sure, there are more Pepsi ads featuring Britney, but this one’s by far my most cherished.

Here’s the commercial:

Do you recall your initial thoughts on this iconic commercial?

• Love 8

For me, that's not the image I keep of her as iconic. To be honest, I don't really like, not at all actually, the aesthetic she had in the late 90s, with a certain heaviness of the boy bands of that era, in the mechanical dance, not much subtlety, not really sensual, even quite tacky. I much prefer the other Pepsi commercials she did, the one in the arena, and the other with vintage images from different eras. Fortunately, in 2001, she broke away from the 90s with something urban, modern, sensual, more in line with what she wanted. :smokney2_smoke_britney_blackout_2007_sunglasses_red_cigarette_smoking:

• Love 1

spacer.png

A cultural reset, and quite simply, the best ad I’d ever seen in my life. Nothing has really topped it for me. The commercial was like an epic music video and the song itself sounded like a mega-hit single. “Just enjoy the ride”..we sure did, Britney!

spacer.png

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, Agyness said:

For me, that's not the image I keep of her as iconic. To be honest, I don't really like, not at all actually, the aesthetic she had in the late 90s, with a certain heaviness of the boy bands of that era, in the mechanical dance, not much subtlety, not really sensual, even quite tacky. I much prefer the other Pepsi commercials she did, the one in the arena, and the other with vintage images from different eras. Fortunately, in 2001, she broke away from the 90s with something urban, modern, sensual, more in line with what she wanted. :smokney2_smoke_britney_blackout_2007_sunglasses_red_cigarette_smoking:

I understand your pov, although I never perceived Britney as “tacky,” neither did I find her comparable to anyone else. In fact, I found her to be very authentic, & always ahead of the curve. Hence, why this ad was everything to me. That said, I respect your opinion —& I agree, her other Pepsi ads are excellent, but this one is my most valued. :)

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Emil87 said:

spacer.png

A cultural reset, and quite simply, the best ad I’d ever seen in my life. Nothing has really topped it for me. The commercial was like an epic music video and the song itself sounded like a mega-hit single. “Just enjoy the ride”..we sure did, Britney!

spacer.png

I love the enthusiasm, haha & I too felt the same way about this commercial. Seriously, what other female was doing it like her?:queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye: 

I appreciate your comment, & I’m glad you resonate with my point of view.

• Love 2

It was a damn COMMERCIAL and people were actively looking to find it and singing along. Truly shows that Britney has IT — that undefinable star quality — more than any of the other pop stars. I loved it at the time and still do.

I think I even attempted to like Pepsi after this lol but I’m just more of a water person or maybe sometimes Dr Pepper

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, KatieKat said:

It was a damn COMMERCIAL and people were actively looking to find it and singing along. Truly shows that Britney has IT — that undefinable star quality — more than any of the other pop stars. I loved it at the time and still do.

I think I even attempted to like Pepsi after this lol but I’m just more of a water person or maybe sometimes Dr Pepper

I absolutely agree with you, there’s truly something special about her. No other female artist of her gen ever seemed as exciting to watch, in my honest opinion. She’s forever the queen of Pepsi ads.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Agyness said:

Flop fan

:meryell_meryl_streep_meme_yell:

• Like 1
On 9/4/2024 at 8:58 PM, Emil87 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I agree! I wish I owned a tv when it aired 

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.