Jive insider reveals Born To Make You Happy was one of Britney's favorites

What does that even mean radio stations didn’t like it so it was only released in the UK?

Do radio stations decide which singles are released?

also BTMYH is a much better song than You drive me crazy!

It’s the best song on the album after bomt. I remember discussing the video on an early Britney forum in 1999 and not being able to see it. Wild to think back on an internet with no videos. Thank god for the McDonalds VHS the following year 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mutya said:

Where is the source?

He worked for Jive and he travelled everywhere with Britney for the first 5/6 years of her career, he's seen a lot in her behind the scenes stuff from that time and the Stages documentary+extra Japan footage.

• Love 2
  • Like 3
30 minutes ago, j4j05 said:

What does that even mean radio stations didn’t like it so it was only released in the UK?

Kinda.

Record labels will often test songs at radio before deciding on a single, and if it's test scores aren't good or if radio programmers don't like the song, they will often go with something else. Especially back in those days when radio was even more important for a hit song and most of Britney's singles weren't released physically in the US so her chart positions depended solely on airplay.

BTMYH is an amazing song but it's sound was more europop influenced than what was popular in the US at the time, it's kind of more similar to Robyn's 90's music than the American pop music of the time which was much more R&B influenced. Even BOMT and Genie in a Bottle were more R&B influenced. I definitely think it could have been a hit in the US but I can see why they thought it was a risky choice, they should have just gone for it though.

52 minutes ago, j4j05 said:

It was released throughout Europe, not just the UK.

1 hour ago, Fab britney said:

I mean can u picture this song on the onyx tour? The only tour post 01 it could’ve been in was piece of me. As sad as it is with a britney style show she can’t always just do her favs they need to include the album they’re promoting heavily while seeing what songs from the past can fit the theme of the show and the biggest hits have to take priority (baby, oops, slave, toxic)

I mean, she performed DLMBTLTK on Femme Fatale Tour out of all things

6 hours ago, Fab britney said:

I mean can u picture this song on the onyx tour? The only tour post 01 it could’ve been in was piece of me. As sad as it is with a britney style show she can’t always just do her favs they need to include the album they’re promoting heavily while seeing what songs from the past can fit the theme of the show and the biggest hits have to take priority (baby, oops, slave, toxic)

I thought they were forcing their set list. So she was choosing the set list? So was Britney lying?

Literally one of my favourite tracks, if not my all-time favourite track by her - hence my profile image! I don't know why it stuck with me, but it always has done and I always enjoyed the instrumental (so glad once that leaked). Sad it didn't get the worldwide attention that it deserved, but I guess it went to the UK #1 for a reason. Think it could've been a worldwide smash if people paid attention to it.

Whilst I love FTBOMBH, I just thing BTMYH was a good step, could've led to a different outcome for the album and single and we could've had something else, but it's clearly they were already gearing up for OOPS by around that time. 

I love the remix. From a podcast I listened to, it was intended to release that as the single, to follow the same treatment as Crazy, but the label stuck with the original - I think it was the best decision imo. All in all, a fine song!

• Love 4
Posted (edited)

One of her best! Still bugs me that Jive didn't let her use her original concept for the video, implied that she was pregnant. We could had our own Papa Don't Preach but no Jive thought it will be too controversial.

Edited by J45x

wow... i always thought it was the other way around: BTMYH was released in the US and FTBOMBH in Europe (and the rest of the world).

FTBOMBH is VERY european. I mean, a very poppy ballad. And BTMYH is very north american... funky pop tune.

Here in Brazil, FTBOMBH was released. Saddly.

BTMYH is a smash. :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom:

• Love 1

Please don't come for me, but I didn't like it then and I don't necessarily like it now... :ahhhhh_britney_scream_scared_panic_shocked_surprised:

For me BOMT and CRAZY did the job for the entire first era... Maybe Sometimes because of the video with the strong moves. 

The video for BTMYH had the choreography all over the place... Not one single dancer felt in sync for me. Also the concept was a bit weird. I'll give you this: Britney's make-up in the silver outfit was flawless! 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.