Do you think Billboard should change the way charts and number ones are recorded?

AII

I was thinking about the way Billboard records chart positions and find it to be very unfair. 

For example, you could release your album during a week where no major artists release it with you, and you could get a #1 for selling only 30,000 units

And the following week, 30,000 units might get you to number 15.

I find it to be very unfair but also not a correct way of measuring.

I dont have the answer but I think something like an end of year #1's list or something is better. Something like, theres only 20 #1s up for grabs, and its decided at the end of each year, with 6 monthly updates. I dont know exactly how it would work but it just seems to me that its not being done in a fair way. Getting a number one album these days seems like a game to me. Back in the day it didnt "feel" like a game. Maybe it always was but right now it feels very in your face and it seems unfair to get a #1 album just because the timing worked out, rather than it being deserved.

I think also the way singles charting should be reviewed. It seems odd that every single song from an album could be charting. I dont know the answer to this because of streaming/downloads but maybe it should be limited to 2 singles from each album or something. Or songs NOT released as official singles cannot be counted towards album position. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I don't think it's fair either way because most people stream or download music illegally. So, it isn't a true depiction either way.  

I think, at best, Apple Music or whichever music platform should implement a toggle where if you want to listen to an album, you need to enable it, and that would count towards a digital album sale even if you are on a subscription model system. 

Then, if you just want to listen to a single or non-single track, there should be a separate Billboard chart for that. Really revamp it. That way the whole album could be promoted rather than just the single. 

• Love 2

I think Billboard lost their appeal when they were and seems like still are, trying to catch up with streaming. I couldn’t tell you who’s in the top 10 of either chart atm. I think streaming killed Billboard and it’s just been a sinking ship since, like how do you count a stream? Is it when the full song and album is played or is it when some of the song or album is played? 

I just think it’s time Billboard closed down their charts.

Also I agree with bitbitboi, I’m still irked over that last minute rule change right when Blackout came out. That was criminal, Blackout deserved to be #1 and Britney to have 7 albums debut at #1 in a row. Someone is always trying to **** over Britney.

Edited by The Femme Fatale
  • Like 1

I mean I feel the same. It’s kinda stupid that every song off a new album can chart on the Hot 100 and take up the whole space whereas other songs might end up falling off the charts and have to start all over again. That’s not always the case but sometimes it does seem to be that way. Billboard should seriously stick with just singles.

• Love 2

There is a problem with streaming is that people don’t actively look for the song they like anymore. We are fed by algorithm. A popular song will be playing over and over again and to me it really influences what people listening to and hence the chart. I guess that’s how Taylor becomes so popular now. Once you listen to her song’s once you will see similar suggestions over and over again.
if it is organic people should have known it but who can tell which songs in top 10 or even top 20 nowadays. I hate the current music situation. 

9 minutes ago, AkiraLe said:

There is a problem with streaming is that people don’t actively look for the song they like anymore. We are fed by algorithm. A popular song will be playing over and over again and to me it really influences what people listening to and hence the chart. I guess that’s how Taylor becomes so popular now. Once you listen to her song’s once you will see similar suggestions over and over again.
if it is organic people should have known it but who can tell which songs in top 10 or even top 20 nowadays. I hate the current music situation. 

THATS A VERY GOOD POINT TOO! i didnt consider that but its very true. I guess the olden days it would happen like that too in a way.. the label would push it to TV ads/radio etc.. so it was always done like that to some extent... but now it seems to be more in your face

On 9/24/2023 at 10:47 PM, AII said:

I was thinking about the way Billboard records chart positions and find it to be very unfair. 

For example, you could release your album during a week where no major artists release it with you, and you could get a #1 for selling only 30,000 units

And the following week, 30,000 units might get you to number 15.

I find it to be very unfair but also not a correct way of measuring.

I dont have the answer but I think something like an end of year #1's list or something is better. Something like, theres only 20 #1s up for grabs, and its decided at the end of each year, with 6 monthly updates. I dont know exactly how it would work but it just seems to me that its not being done in a fair way. Getting a number one album these days seems like a game to me. Back in the day it didnt "feel" like a game. Maybe it always was but right now it feels very in your face and it seems unfair to get a #1 album just because the timing worked out, rather than it being deserved.

I think also the way singles charting should be reviewed. It seems odd that every single song from an album could be charting. I dont know the answer to this because of streaming/downloads but maybe it should be limited to 2 singles from each album or something. Or songs NOT released as official singles cannot be counted towards album position. 

Thoughts?

I absolutely agree with the charting timing issue.

Like, you could sell 200k copies and be number 2 that release week or 2 copies and be number 1 a different week as everyone else sold just 1. This is not remotely fair, as the artist can’t control others’ release dates. 

I like your idea suggesting some end-of-year reconciliation to ignore these, essentially, lucky release weeks.

I also agree with others here in that the Billboard charting system is so flawed.

So, I say it should be blown the heck up and revamped for a multitude of revisions. Or just die.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block