Silent night, deadly night. A story of how marketing a movie can go wrong

It's still to this day viewed as the most controversial film, while it was issued the same day as A Nightmare on elm street, Freddy became a horror icon. 

The murderous Santa Claus however didn't even get a chance and it was due to marketing,  Tristar aired previews during family time (that is a thing of the past), most agree had they waited until past ten pm, it probably would be different. 

But somehow a commercial aired on a Sunday during the holiday episode of Little house on the prairie, as a whole slashers was the rage in the 80s as the dominant horror genre,  this led to Tristar basically selling the movie off, and wiping their hands cleaned. 

Banned in the uk during the infamous video nasty era, wasn't until 2009 when arrow video got the bbfc to give it the hard 18 (unlike rated r, in the states. You have to be 18 to see the movie and not even a parent can accompany a minor. Literally nc-17 uk version)

Happy birthday to the most controversial Christmas slasher of all time..also uses catholic imagery as well..

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never seen this film but I don’t see what’s so bad about doing a horror themed Christmas time, or was this unusual for the 80s? Seems it was the conservative religious people who got upset.

I do agree it was wrong to advertise the film in the afternoon though when children would be watching.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block