Azealia Banks names herself the ‘Queen of Rap’ 🚨

The truth is she could have actually been. She debut around the same time Nicki was really hitting it big. While house and disco music has always been something incorporated in raves, particularly in the underground rave scene in the 90s, the genre had relatively disappeared from public consciousness after reaching mainstream status in the pop genre internationally around 2000 through remix CDs, etc. It was not common for rappers to mix hip hop with house really…. Especially in the 2010s. That’s why azealia really was hitting it big being on Chance features (when he was actually good)… also having 212 and her first mixtapes really being everywhere for a second. Tumblr also had this thing for her. 

But her erratic behaviour, which at times I feel really is her own fault, have really destroyed her chances of ever becoming the next thing. Just like Foxxy, she may fade into obscurity beyond some of her fans. I do enjoy much of her music. It’s sad. 

• Love 4
  • Like 3

The truth is she actually is a better lyricist and producer than nicki. But she’s inconsistent in addition to her social media presence taking precedent over the music. Who knows how she could’ve progressed and what success she could’ve had. 

and to think rihanna had her off the list of the anti party when she talked **** about their record on Twitter. It’s just very sad. One thing I will say is that the russel Crowe thing she isn’t lying about. RZA obviously knew and considered  there was  great potential in bringing such a controversial rapper on as the lead actress in their film. It’s a good concept film about poetry and hip hop…. She actually isn’t a bad actor. The script is whatever. Anyway? At this event russel Crowe allegedly held her and spat on her and there was this whole altercation and RZA did nothing. I believe her but at that point her problems overlook that. Even the acting bridge is broken. 

it’s just sad all around tbh. She is talented as hell …. and then I think about how she’s transphobic too. Disgustingly prejudice and questionable 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, etherealcat said:

yes omg! 1991, anna wintour, count contessa, miss camaraderie, van vogue, wallace, yung rapunxel and the list goes on! everything is incredibly fresh and catchy. :melt_weird_drift_wow:

so good. I just wish she wasn’t so transphobic although I’ve heard she really is trying to learn now? Idk if that’s true 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

No. Just no, bb. Nicki reigns supreme. Maybe Azealia could've landed the title had she not burnt every bridge she ever made for herself, attack colleagues and fans alike, and just do general foolishness online to destroy her reputation.

No ur so right it’s true. Even if you don’t like Nicki as even she is problematic, the truth is she has surpassed Kim even (I ******* love Kim btw and she is the blueprint and I feel so bad about how Nicki really played into Diddy and Badboys tricks to step over Kim and take her image- even though I know prior to this and even now she respects Kim after probably realizing this?) . Nicki is a success and the blueprint of this generation in a lot of ways.

and while the clubs don’t play nicki much anymore and even skip her verses (it’s likely a boycott understandably in some ways tbh… given her rap*** apologist tendencies… but then I think abt it and it’s like, these are very real things in culture everywhere, supporting men through and through even when they’re so wrong… and I also think about how many men in the industry are literally like this too but it’s easy to apply criticism on her than it is them when they’re all problematic as hell) she is still a big force and her impact is there 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, britney fkn spears said:

The truth is she actually is a better lyricist

This is a reach, but it’s your personal opinion. I can see your point of view because she’s mad skilled, but I believe in my opinion more. First things first we didn’t get the chance to see her evolve into something else, experiment with different sounds or shows us different facets of her pen game ‘cause she blew it before hitting it mainstream.:queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

2 minutes ago, Style. said:

This is a reach, but it’s your personal opinion. I can see your point of view because she’s mad skilled, but I believe in my opinion more. First things first we didn’t get the chance to see her evolve into something else, experiment with different sounds or shows us different facets of her pen game ‘cause she blew it before hitting it mainstream.:queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

I will never forget Nicki's verse in "Only" where she goes off about duct tape, and it's still entertaining and engaging. :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses: That's some mastermind ****, for real.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Style. said:

U know what I was thinking about this too. It’s definitely an opinion but this is what I think: she hasn’t progressed much in terms of sound. It is always great which is why she has a loyal smaller fanbase (the music has aged amazingly so whenever she releases something it’s great). But she never got a chance to due to so many factors (mostly her own fault though) nicki is obviously a stronger lyricist now but I find azealia is more art hour 

18 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

I will never forget Nicki's verse in "Only" where she goes off about duct tape, and it's still entertaining and engaging. :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses: That's some mastermind ****, for real.

Nicki is a walking genius. Literally we know and adore Nicki for her witty lyrics and musical cross over. I strongly believe she should’ve been awarded first with a Grammy award rather than a VMA. 

16 minutes ago, britney fkn spears said:

U know what I was thinking about this too. It’s definitely an opinion but this is what I think: she hasn’t progressed much in terms of sound. It is always great which is why she has a loyal smaller fanbase (the music has aged amazingly so whenever she releases something it’s great). But she never got a chance to due to so many factors (mostly her own fault though) nicki is obviously a stronger lyricist now but I find azealia is more art hour 

I agree with you to an extent, of course. The problem people are having with Nicki is she became too poppy and couldn’t deliver a proper hip-hop album during her peak, but people are quick to forget Nicki Minaj debuted when pop and edm were trending the charts, every chart. At that time, I even was exhausted about her hopping on pop records. I became a full fan during the Queen era - a highly underrated album. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Style. said:

Nicki is a walking genius. Literally we know and adore Nicki for her witty lyrics and musical cross over. I strongly believe she should’ve been awarded first with a Grammy award rather than a VMA. 

I agree with you to an extent, of course. The problem people are having with Nicki is she became too poppy and couldn’t deliver a proper hip-hop album during her peak, but people are quick to forget Nicki Minaj debuted when pop and edm were trending the charts, every chart. At that time, I even was exhausted about her hopping on pop records. I became a full fan during the Queen era - a highly underrated album. 

I totally agree. Nicki coming up in the EDM pop era was honestly at an advantage and disadvantage to her in some ways. From what I’ve heard from queen, it’s a true hip hop record but it just came out at a very negative time for her 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, britney fkn spears said:

I totally agree. Nicki coming up in the EDM pop era was honestly at an advantage and disadvantage to her in some ways. From what I’ve heard from queen, it’s a true hip hop record but it just came out at a very negative time for her 

When I first heard 212 I remember my first thoughts were ‘finally someone who raps’ because Nicki served me pop record after pop record after edm record. I wasn’t too grown to understand a rapper can dive into more genres… and let’s be honest, Nicki kind of made it possible and cool for others to blend pop and rap. 

If you look closely at Nicki’s career you will see so many mistakes compared to others who signed a 360 deal. Yes, she has a label but her eras are always rushed or lack something - for example, my biggest issue with her albums is that they are too long. Queen is a great great album but it should’ve been more compact. She kept so many filler songs in there… :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

Also, Queen came too late honestly. She should’ve released it in late 2017. It was mistake after mistake. All in all I’m happy for it. Chun Li is her best lead single a great song who deserved much more, both as a song and an aesthetic! 

10 minutes ago, Style. said:

Roman Reloaded

1 minute ago, Style. said:

because Nicki served me pop record after pop record after edm

I guess I went commercial just shot a commercial when I flew to the set tho I ain’t fly commercial and this ad is local ya *** is global when they shot it was a lot of different agricultures so I laugh at hopeful nicki pop?  The only thing that pops is my endorsements pop hopper around and I had to reinforce the block 

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block