Britney Spears - Dr. Psiquiatra

So I'm a HUGE Gloria Trevi fan (since I was little kid) and up until recently, I never realized how much her song Dr. Psiquiatra relates to Britney. The song is literally about feeling trapped under everyone's pressure and how they make you feel insane, but you're just trapped. One of the standout lyrics in the song is "I'm not crazy, I'm just desperate." Essentially, she's saying that people are driving her into insanity which they then use against her to punish her. Like WTF! Gloria spoke about mental abuse and manipulation ahead of her time. Anyway, if you want a good listen, check this song out. It's from the late 80s and clearly dated but still a bop and iconic. I even put some english translations with the lyrics.

Verse 1

"I think it's time to see the psychiatrist"

Is what they told me at home and then they practically dragged me there

When I come home late at night

And they try to reprimand me

I don't hear them, I don't hear them and I run to the window

But whoever jumps from the 5th floor will kill themselves

I get violent and start to throw things around

I'm not crazy, I'm not crazy, I'm not crazy, I'm just....desperate

Chorus

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

Stop telling me foolishness

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

I wanna live my own life

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

I'm not gonna pay my bill anymore

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

Stop looking at my...stop looking at my....stop looking at my legs, no! No!

No! No! No! No! No!

I'm not crazy!

Verse 2

"I think it's time to see the psychiatrist"

That's what the teacher said

Then he kicked me out of the classroom

And when I don't show up to class

He sends people to look for me all over the place

I just hide, I just hide, I don't understand what his problem is

First he says to leave, but then he tells me not to go outside

Four sad walls, in a prison of love

Chorus

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

I wanna live my own life

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

No! No! No! No! No!

I'm not crazy!

Bridge

I'm Juliet...

And in a full moon...

I turn into a werewolf...

And I look for Romeo...

Chorus

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

I wanna live my own life

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

"Dr. Psychiatrist"

No! No! No! No! No!

I'm not crazy!

And if you're interested in a live performance here you go:

• Love 3
16 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

there are many Gloria Trevi songs that even though they're written in a romantic way, could be used for giving support and hope or that talk about these times of desperation and hopelessness

But now that she's free, she can be like

Obviously Britney and Gloria went through completely different situations but where they are alike is they were both ostracized by the public and media for reasons that at the time everyone justified. They were labeled as crazy, unstable, bad people but now people are realizing they were both in fact victims. 

Gloria luckily was able to turn it around and use it as a way to revive her career and I can only hope Britney can do something similar. 

But yes you are right that Gloria has some amazing songs that to me, are just ahead of their time.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Sia said:

Obviously Britney and Gloria went through completely different situations but where they are alike is they were both ostracized by the public and media for reasons that at the time everyone justified. They were labeled as crazy, unstable, bad people but now people are realizing they were both in fact victims. 

Gloria luckily was able to turn it around and use it as a way to revive her career and I can only hope Britney can do something similar. 

But yes you are right that Gloria has some amazing songs that to me, are just ahead of their time.

that's right :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

what's incredible is that Gloria's career has been much more successful after she got out of prison than it was before, and that's to say a lot since it was insane already back in the 90's

She really is like a phoenix. But obviously there will always be comments by her haters that will follow her forever, there's still some stigma attached to her, but her fans are enough to keep her going.

I just saw her last month btw

I like that she always includes obscure songs from her discography in every tour and she's not afraid of ditching some of her biggest hits in order to make room for these album tracks 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

that's right :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

what's incredible is that Gloria's career has been much more successful after she got out of prison than it was before, and that's to say a lot since it was insane already back in the 90's

She really is like a phoenix. But obviously there will always be comments by her haters that will follow her forever, there's still some stigma attached to her, but her fans are enough to keep her going.

I just saw her last month btw

I like that she always includes obscure songs from her discography in every tour and she's not afraid of ditching some of her biggest hits in order to make room for these album tracks 

I saw her once a few years ago and she puts on such a great show! You’re so lucky to have seen her recently.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block