September 11, 2001: Where were you?

vesp

9/11 is one of my first vivid memories.

I was in year 5 at the beginning of a school day and my teacher told us, and then turned on the TV. Classes started migrating to our room and I remember the images of the second plane so well. At first I was just pissed off that drama class was cancelled, then when I sobered up to the gravity of the situation I became concerned that my mum's grooming shop would be next (a one-story boutique in Toronto LOL). I remember her picking me up for school and it was the first time I ever saw her worried/anxious about anything.

It was a very surreal time.

I was in the first grade. My family and I had just moved into a new apartment in Calabasas/Agoura - a suburb west of LA (don’t live there anymore) literally that same week. I remember walking downstairs and seeing my mom and older brother just stare at the TV. I was too young to understand what was going on or the magnitude of it all. When I asked why, they basically told me to not worry about it. Then again, kids don’t like to hear about attacks or violence so I understand the need for sheltering that kind of information.

Went to school that day and didn’t think anything of it. All I can remember afterwards on that day was that there was a moment of silence held in the classroom.

I don’t think it was until a year or two after that I began to understand what this meant. Patriotism was huge. I remember our yearbooks having American flags everywhere. Wearing ‘American’ or ‘patriotic’ apparel was a huge trend then.  

It was a jarring time for many but we also felt united as nation — especially in contrast to today. To this day, the subject of 9/11 is a very sensitive yet intriguing topic for me when it comes to wanting to learn more. This past year, I actually attended a 20-year anniversary event at the Richard Nixon library and it was incredibly moving. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block