Minimalism is a bs & dangerous trend (my story)

Neydelinska Spearsi

Few years ago the trend of minimalism started- the less you own, it's better for the environment and you, you'll feel better etc

And somehow it's focused on the idea things make you feel depressed and uninspired and if you get rid of everything you dont need, use or have any attachments to- you will feel great, healthy blah blah blah

I tried it to see would it help me as people claim it helps them

NO

Now, not only I dont have 90% of my things but I'm more miserable and depressed than before. I ******* hate it. Everything feels empty and like a damn black mirror episode... I cant believe I was convinced to get rid of even my memorabilia and stuff, everything.

And I still feel like a waste, like I'm damaging to environment and even though I got rid of everything- I still own too much according to minimalists

Having less things, esp.if they are older makes depression and your issues worse. This trend is such a bs and so dangerous. Instead of focusing on improving your life by fixing issues they give you one more issue- a damn empty space around you

Never try it.

It doesnt fix issues as people claim. And also, the minimalism groups are kind of cultish... they are pro giving away things even if you dont want to give them away, they get angry if you have ''unnecessary things'' etc

Super cultish thing, doesnt help at all, only makes things worse!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that is an interesting story thanks for sharing. Was it Marie Kondo’s show that convinced you? Did you throw ALL your stuff away? Why the memorabilia? I thought you’re supposed to keep inspiring stuff around. How did you decide what to keep? What do you miss  :idgi_dont_get_it_how_confused_what_hmm_umm_thinking: 
I did 23 and Me and they said genetically I’m a hoarder :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde: 

3 hours ago, thebritmaster said:

Wow that is an interesting story thanks for sharing. Was it Marie Kondo’s show that convinced you? Did you throw ALL your stuff away? Why the memorabilia? I thought you’re supposed to keep inspiring stuff around. How did you decide what to keep? What do you miss  :idgi_dont_get_it_how_confused_what_hmm_umm_thinking: 
I did 23 and Me and they said genetically I’m a hoarder :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde: 

No, I dont like Marie Kondo. She's preaching about minimalism and **** yet earns millions from it- if you are a minimalist, why do you need millions? to...buy something maybe? lol

I didn't throw literally ALL my stuff but 90% of it, for example- I had over 20 pairs of jeans and now I only have 2. I had lots of overworn clothes so I couldnt donate them- they were too damaged and old. And while I was in college I used to buy alot of cheap second hand clothes so I felt horrible about donating basically 3rd hand clothes so I threw them away...

CDs and memorabillia- sold them

Books- sold them

Make up and hygiene stuff- threw away everything that expired or I dont use at all. I dont think used make up products are good to donate. I did use them so...I dont think it would be hygienic and safe if I gave my mascara to someone (for example). It all went to trash

I had ****loads of vogue magazines (Italian, UK and US)- I gave them away to girls I know love fashion.

As I was getting rid of things they are super old and useless I got to a point I had a decent amount of stuff and then I got rid of the things I knew I dont use and wont use (make up products). Though, that's the point I ****ed everything up. I shouldve stopped there. The point was perfect- I got rid of broken, useless **** and stuff I dont use. There was no need of going further- memorabilias and books

But then the super extreme phase came. I felt like **** for having things I use so I just left 2-3 of each (3 black shirts, 2 hoodies, 2 jumpers, 2 pairs of socks, 2 bras, 7 pairs of underwear, 2 pajamas, 1 jacket, 1 bag...

I feel like I live in a damn museum how empty it feels. I'd be fine with like 5 pairs of ****s and more clothes but I felt like if I get rid off literally EVERYTHING I'd be free, happy, all that happy nonsense

Nope, as miserable as before. Minimalism is fake af and its esthetics is giving me severe anxiety. You end up living in a empty super sterile  museum

Just because it didn't work out for you, doesn't mean that it's BS or dangerous, but I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with it. I think problems arise when people take all these movements (minimalism, zero waste, veganism, etc.) to the extreme. It wouldn't hurt us to buy and consume less, but people go too far. Same with veganism, for example. Going vegan doesn't mean you have to also cut out like 10 different food groups. That's how you end up with health issues.

6 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Just because it didn't work out for you, doesn't mean that it's BS or dangerous, but I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with it. I think problems arise when people take all these movements (minimalism, zero waste, veganism, etc.) to the extreme. It wouldn't hurt us to buy and consume less, but people go too far. Same with veganism, for example. Going vegan doesn't mean you have to also cut out like 10 different food groups. That's how you end up with health issues.

I agree to some point but more people came out with the issues of minimalism

Archived