Bloomberg: Netflix Is Working on Its Own Documentary About Britney Spears

5 hours ago, ChromaticaGlory said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-14/netflix-is-working-on-its-own-documentary-about-britney-spears

In the latest case of dueling documentaries, Netflix Inc. is planning its own movie about Britney Spears, on the heels of one just released by Hulu.

Filmmaker Erin Lee Carr, who’s specialized in true crime documentaries, is directing the project about the pop star, a cause celebre among fans who believe she is being held against her will.

The earlier project, “Framing Britney Spears,” was produced by the New York Times and released on Hulu this month, quickly becoming one of the most talked-about documentaries of the year. The Hulu film chronicles the media’s misogynistic approach toward Spears throughout her career, and explores a conservatorship that places much of her life under her father’s control. The documentary also prompted Spears’ former boyfriend, Justin Timberlake, to apologize for his treatment of women.

It’s not unusual for movie studios to be working on the same projects at the same time, but competing documentaries have become far more common in the streaming era. Services are leaning on such films as lower-cost, appealing programs, and all of them are hungry for fresh programming.

Carr’s project isn’t completed and doesn’t have a release date yet. It was already underway before “Framing Britney Spears” debuted.

Hello everyone!!! In Spain isn’t possible to watch Hulu. Is there any other way to watch “Framing Britney Spears” out of the USA and subtitled? I need some help! Thank you.

5 hours ago, amiro1989 said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but what if the pro-conservatorship frame is to fool people to agree to interview and then bombard them with questions then?

Basically, they ask them pro-conservatorship questions, to also asks anti-conservatorship questions.... It'd be a nice trap to get Lou on board.

Sis do you know team co is all over this site... your theory is ok but delete now :liar_red_mad_angry_anger_yell_slap:

• Haha 5
9 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

I haven't seen any of her work, but after looking at her filmography, she definitely focuses on "investigative" docs that are controversial.

Hmmmmmm!

I hope this is true. I have heard on multiple occasions that the Netflix doc may end up coming off as ambivalent on or possibly even pro-cship

9 hours ago, GODNEY IS A QUEEN said:

OMG If this is in fact confirmed, this is going to be huge. :pretends_shocked_wow_rihanna_surprised: 

Hopefully this time around, they can finally talk about her legacy some more, her brilliance as a pop tycoon, her artistry / talent, material that her record label shelved, and her ultimate diligence as one of, if not, the hardest working entertainer of her time. People NEED to be reminded why the public fell in love and were so infatuated with her in the first place. Not to mention, how other aspiring artists built literal careers off of Britney's name (Avril, Pink, Christina, Jessica, Mandy, that whole anti-Britney movement, etc.). Topping the Forbes 100 List at literally just age 20. Her lucrative business deals and work schedule. She put in that work nobody else was willing to do and I'm really hoping there will be a good documentary, for once, that will ultimately transform the public's perception on many of these topics. It's important for the general public to be aware of what Britney's legacy, superstardom and meteoric rise meant for the culture and how it really was an unprecedented phenomenon that reached immeasurable heights, especially during a time when grunge, hip-hop, alt-rock soloists and pop groups were dominating. Arguably the greatest story of a public figure in pop culture from the last 25 years. Please Netflix, please do our girl justice. We're rooting for you. :katycry_perry_crying_tears_sad_sobbing:

None of what you’re talking about has anything to do with freeing Britney from this fraudulent conservatorship. This is an activist movement and as much as we love Britney, cultural commentary will not point out the system that got her here in the first place

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Roger said:

Okay so Leanne and Megan from the movement clarified: they think that it might be pro c-ship because so far none of the leaders of the movement have been asked to appear in the doc, the director did shady docs apparently and they have this gutt feeling that it might not be in favor of the movement.

I guess we'll have to wait and see :waitwhat_britney_lights_out_scared_um_confused_what:

I’ve heard the same, but for other reasons. It’s not necessary to have “leaders of the movement” involved in everything. If we’re exposing corruption, we need some experts imo

• Love 1
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, I love Britney said:

Just because they haven’t been  asked to be involved means nothing. They don’t have to be involved in every doc. Are there egos really that big? Netflix is probably doing it in there own different way 

I agree - it reads very Ego-driven, but I have heard that there are definitely reasons to be suspicious of this doc.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, I'mNotTheAverageLady said:

And for what other reasons? I hope it is not true, it must not be

I hope it is too. It’s all hearsay, but I was told that parties were in talks w the Netflix folks but backed out after feeling uneasy about the project. 

please take this w a grain of salt. I’m just as nervous as everyone else, but I’ve heard this for a few months now 😩

• Like 1