Nectar by Joji

2K16NEY

screen-shot-2019-06-14-at-12.49.59-pm.pn 

Hi there, a fellow Joji fan here. I just wanted to connect with anyone who enjoys his music as much as I do. Maybe if you haven't listened to Joji yet, I can introduce you!

He was originally known as YouTube personality "Filthy Frank" but he since he retired that shtick to be a full-time singer songwriter. He released his debut album, Ballads 1, in 2018 to mixed reviews. It was a very short album in length that balanced trap-rap beats with pop and r&b melodies; most of the tracks were void of choruses and mainly included quick hooks and catchy repeated phrases. His sophomore album, Nectar, shows immense growth for Joji as a musician and includes his best work to date. Nectar is much more mainstream and commercial than his debut but sonically not too different; he's progressed as a songwriter and has released his most mature sounding music to date. Nectar can be describes as a continuation of trap-rap sounds from his debut with alternative r&b and pop. He seems to like to play with his voice too, either pitching it very low or very high in some tracks (Mr. Hollywood, Tick Tock). The album is moody and emotional but it's delivery is top notch and he is someone to look out for as I can only imagine him perfecting his sound even more by his third album. 

"Gimme Love" was the last official single to be released before the drop of the album. It is sonically dreamy and can be broken down into 2 parts. The first half the song is quick sung with the singer pleading "gimme gimme love, when I'm gone". He seems to be singing out to his lover whom he struggles to have a relationship with, later singing "Caught in a river of records and dreams, oh will you keep up with me? Everyone's looking for someone to hold, but I can't let you go". Maybe he's too difficult and she doesn't want to keep with all the games? Maybe she left him? whatever the case, Joji sounds somber and desperate for her love. The last half of the song is the most beautiful part, as it breaks down into a slow guitar riff. It is dreamy and completely infectious. Give it a listen! 

The first original single from Nectar was Sanctuary, where Joji sings quite emotionally about someone whom he declares to be his 'sanctuary'. He is completely enamored with her and it hurts him to be apart. He feels like he has met his soulmate, "More than fun, you're the sanctuary, cause what you want is what I want, sincerity". It's sincere, it's fun, it's love. She's his sanctuary. Listen above! 

Nectar shows a man singing straight from the heart! It's emotional, it's experimental, it's dark, it's gloomy, it's happy. It's every emotion on the spectrum. He takes you on a ride from the beginning of the album to the end.

If you're going to listen to Nectar, I recommend the tracks: 

• Modus
  • Tick Tock
  • Nitrous
  • Mr. Hollywood
  • Gimme Love
  • Sanctuary

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived