Hilary Duff reflects on being in Lizzie McGuire's shadow: “I definitely went through big frustrations of being like, ‘Why can I not get a shot at being someone else?’”

• Leader

Hilary Duff is featured in the new issue of Cosmopolitan UK

In her interview, Duff opens up about being typecast in Hollywood because of her iconic role as Lizzie Mcguire.

I wonder whether she is bothered, as a woman in her thirties, to still be so associated with a character who defined not only her own teenage years, but a whole generation’s.

“I’m at such a different place in my life now, being a mother and a wife – it doesn’t weigh on me any more,” she explains. “I don’t feel like people only see me that way, but [even] when they do, I feel appreciative of it because she was very impactful on so many people’s lives.”

But how does she really feel about the reboot? Did she have to come round to the idea? “They asked me for years and years: ‘Let’s do a reboot, let’s do a reboot,’ and I was like, ‘No, no, no.’

"Finally, last year, I was like, ‘I feel ready.’” What changed? “It just doesn’t annoy me any more when people refer to me as Lizzie McGuire or say that was my biggest role, because it paved the way for all the other roads I’ve been able to take.”

She hasn’t always seen it like that. And who can blame her? “I definitely went through big frustrations of being like, ‘Why can I not get a shot at being someone else?’” she explains.

“Not that I want to dog every casting director out there, but there’s a very small handful of people who are character actors and can be hired for roles that are truly different from one another. From age 21 to 25, before I became a mom, there was a lot of frustration."

"I would get to producer callback and they’d be like, ‘She’s so great and she gave us the best reading and blah blah blah, but she’s Hilary Duff...’”

She also opened up about feeling relieved when Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez were on the rise with their roles.

I think people imagine that Disney is just this big studio where everyone hangs out, but it wasn’t like that,” she explains. “When Hannah Montana and Wizards Of Waverly Place came along, I was on tour and desperate not to be Lizzie McGuire any more.

"I was so happy that someone was taking that spot from me. It didn’t really feel right for me to be giving advice. Everyone’s on their own journey and the things they had to deal with were different. They came up when social media was starting to pop off.”

Thoughts, Exhale? 

hilary-duff-cosmopolitan-02-1601289838.p

hilary-duff-cosmopolitan-01-1601289886.p

hilary-duff-cosmopolitan-03-1601289708.p

cover-main-1601294478.jpg?resize=980:*

Related:

hilary-uk.jpg.5b0841f5e263dafa4dd8cc3122011b9f.jpg

• Love 2

I love how dignified she has always been. She opened the doors for a lot of these stars like Selena and Zendaya. Lizzy Mcguire will always be iconic. I don't think she has the acting chops to really take on bigger roles like Zendaya so that's probably why she never secured those roles. She a particular way of acting and should really pursue that maybe in a self produced movie or show. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

"I would get to producer callback and they’d be like, ‘She’s so great and she gave us the best reading and blah blah blah, but she’s Hilary Duff...’”

That must hurt, knowing that you're typecast as a specific character. I did enjoy the film "Greta," where Duff plays a darker character - I just wish she continued to explore those acting roles... But all in all, I think Hilary is happy where she is: a husband that tattooed her name on his butt, and two beautiful children. Hope there are more opportunities in her career, she's still young!

Best Hilary Duff According To Greta GIFs | Gfycat

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block