Demi Lovato says struggles with eating disorder lead to overdose

Jordan Miller

• Leader

I really feel for Demi. She's had to handle her demons with body image in the public eye - a terrible combination. 

She says all the working out and dieting appeared to be a form of recovery, but after reflecting... had a change of heart. 

It's an interesting stance, because I personally workout a lot and am very diligent about nutrition. I don't see this synonymous with running away from your problems. For me, it works wonders because of the kind of personality I have. 

"I'm tired of running myself into the ground with workouts and extreme dieting," Lovato tells Graham in a new clip from the episode. "I thought the past few years was recovery from an eating disorder when it actually was just completely falling into it."

She also describes what she thought was her "recovery" as "definitely an eating issue."

"I think when you have certain people around you that are telling you certain things that you should look a certain way, it makes it harder," she says. "I was in that situation, and I was just running myself into the ground. I honestly think that's kind of what led to everything happening over the past year was just me thinking I found recovery when I didn't, and then living this kind of lie and trying to tell the world I was happy with myself when I really wasn't."

Thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if she doesn't want to adhere to a certain popstar standard, then she's gonna flop. I'm sorry Demi, but I don't make the rules. You'd have to be the exception or the anomaly for you to succeed by not looking a certain way. And we already have that - it's Adele. You think just cause you got a lot of good press at the Grammys by singing a ballad, doesn't mean people are gonna take you seriously as an artist and accept you as a poster girl for anti-popstar looking popstars. We already have that - it's Billie Eilish. Selena said the exact same thing in her Beats1 Interview with Zane last month, but you're not on the level of Selena, sweetie. She's had 3x the success. Now that you're under School Boy and is in the same family as Justin Bieber, you might envy him for being at a point where he doesn't even care about looking ugly with a mustache anymore and just release music as an artist. But girl, you're not them. They've had massive success. They paid their dues. They won the right to relax. You haven't. I'm sorry but i think you're just being lazy. :cutebrit:

i think her being open about her strugles is good for her and other ppl. i think it is a common trend in a showbiz now about weight and body positivity. i don't think this days u should be some standard size but i do believe for an artist it is important to show it in a certain way beautifully. like  Lizzo r not size 1 girls but still popular. but i agree certainly it's also about ur image. cause ppl like to scrutinize artists. i think she needs to search for the music and image that suits her most. and just be happy with presenting it to others. 

2 hours ago, OriginalRoxxy said:

You'd have to be the exception or the anomaly for you to succeed by not looking a certain way. And we already have that - it's Adele. 

Not even Adele, she lost a looooot of weight even though at the very beginning of her career she always said that she wouldn't change her image and people would have to accept it that way. 

10 minutes ago, alexdaily said:

Not even Adele, she lost a looooot of weight even though at the very beginning of her career she always said that she wouldn't change her image and people would have to accept it that way. 

Right! I forgot about that. See, Demi? Even Adele wanted to lose weight. We're not sure if it's for her image or for health but it's a good move on her part nonetheless. All this body positivity is so fake. She's just lazy.

Wait. Now that Adele is slim, maybe that's why Demi feels this way. She thinks she could fill in for Adele as the anomaly after being dubbed as a vocalist since her Grammy performance. :cuteidk:

16 minutes ago, OriginalRoxxy said:

Wait. Now that Adele is slim, maybe that's why Demi feels this way. She thinks she could fill in for Adele as the anomaly after being dubbed as a vocalist since her Grammy performance. :cuteidk:

Are you saying Adele was the anomaly in the industry because she was fat? :receipts2:

7 minutes ago, ILuvMe said:

Are you saying Adele was the anomaly in the industry because she was fat? :receipts2:

That's exactly what I mean. It's not shade. It's the truth. We all know popstars are subjected to a certain standard. And that is looking skinny and ****. Even Mariah who has amazing pipes had a **** image (not by the label tho, it was her choice and its her personality). But along the way after a million years or so, an artist pops up that is the exact opposite yet achieves success. That's what we call in the biz as the anomaly or the exception (to the rule). But just because the exception or the anomaly occurs, it don't mean it could be a regular thing. Anomalies are like unicorns. They're special (and in Adele's case talented) paired with a lot of luck and divine providence. Don't take the word anomaly literally, though. ☺ She is definitely not a mistake and the consumers certainly did not make a mistake by supporting her.

I can't help but think she goes from one extreme to another, either she is really fit and trains and eats healthy, or completely stops and gets into this chill mood. As long as she's healthy, I don't care how her body looks or what she wears on stage. The only thing she need to focus is on herself and make a healthy lifestyle. 

16 minutes ago, OriginalRoxxy said:

That's exactly what I mean. It's not shade. It's the truth. We all know popstars are subjected to a certain standard. And that is looking skinny and ****. Even Mariah who has amazing pipes had a **** image (not by the label tho, it was her choice and its her personality). But along the way after a million years or so, an artist pops up that is the exact opposite yet achieves success. That's what we call in the biz as the anomaly or the exception (to the rule). But just because the exception or the anomaly occurs, it don't mean it could be a regular thing. Anomalies are like unicorns. They're special (and in Adele's case talented) paired with a lot of luck and divine providence. Don't take the word anomaly literally, though. ☺ She is definitely not a mistake and the consumers certainly did not make a mistake by supporting her.

Unfortunately you have a point there, we don't know if Adele's success was thanks only to her undoubted talent, or her being big also helped, and we'll never know. How shitty this industry is that the image plays an important role. Same with Lizzo, portraying her as "body positivity" when in reality is what's relatable to a demographic and sells, at least they're giving a good message IDK. 

13 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

As much as I want to feel empathy, I just feel she always has some excuse to justify her problems. Everyone has issues, but what are you gonna do about it? Sit there and cry or do something about it. 

Exactly. I've had an eating disorder and ED is an addiction by itselft. You're in a vicious circle, an 'addiction' to that unhealthy relationship with your body, with food and insecurity. It's a hell but you can't justify everything with it, and Demi Lovato has done it. For too long.

• Super Mods
2 hours ago, THE BAJAN VIBE said:

Exactly. I've had an eating disorder and ED is an addiction by itselft. You're in a vicious circle, an 'addiction' to that unhealthy relationship with your body, with food and insecurity. It's a hell but you can't justify everything with it, and Demi Lovato has done it. For too long.

Yeah, I’ve been in that self loathing cycle before and there’s a point where you either want to continue going down that path or make a change. People do get sick of hearing you whine 

1 hour ago, puppylo16 said:

Yeah, I’ve been in that self loathing cycle before and there’s a point where you either want to continue going down that path or make a change. People do get sick of hearing you whine 

This. If you want to get better and be able to move on with your life even a little, you have to want it, so you can start to make changes.

It's true that if you want to be in the spotlight you know you're gonna be looked at under a microscope and everyone will pick apart everything about you.  That being said, I completely empathize with her because I struggle with food also and have had problems with bulimia in the past.  I'm not overweight but when I gain a few pounds I hate myself for it so I know where shes coming from.  But if she doesn't want to be scrutinized then maybe she shouldn't be in this industry

Archived