is this the shadiest interviewer ever? (2001)

Cigarettes&Cologne

23 minutes ago, ImmaSlave4U said:

Eh, I thought the questions were fine and fairly legitimate, albeit a bit annoying from Britney's point of view. She handled the situation well. But she's always acted naive about her blatantly manufactured "**** image" and her pretending to be a virgin and claiming she wanted to remain one until marriage warranted questions. I was 16 when this interview occurred and remember these kinds of questions were raised constantly. Of course, I certainly don't blame Britney for her aversion to interviews. She never really liked them much, anyway. 

Yes! A fellow 90’s kid fan. I was 17 at this time, and you’re right about the media’s fixation on this topic with Brit. She handled it well, and I feel like me at that age would not have been able to do so. Britney probably played up her naïveté in the beginning out of self-preservation, and honestly, at the time this cultural fixation on her sexuality and image was unprecedented so she was probably having to figure out how to navigate these lines of questioning as she went along while still having to protect her budding career. Exhausting!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

Yes! A fellow 90’s kid fan. I was 17 at this time, and you’re right about the media fixation on this topic with Brit. She handled it well, and I feel like me at that age would not have been able to do so. Britney probably played up her naïveté in the beginning out of self-preservation, and honestly, at the time this cultural fixation on her sexuality and image was unprecedented so she was probably having to figure out how to navigate these lines of questioning as she went along while still having to protect her budding career. Exhausting!

Totally! Oh, God. I just recalled a memory I have on this topic: One time I had my Sunday School teacher named Connie over at my house and I was so excited to show her my bedroom all decked out in Britney. I spent hours putting up posters & made a huge collage (a big deal for a not-so-crafty guy like myself lol) I was so proud and thought she'd think my room looked great, but she didn't. Not even a little bit. She tried to shame Britney and I was really surprised and taken aback by her judgments. I first started parroting Britney's answers like, "She's a Christian too, Connie!" "It gets hot up on stage with all that dancing!" "She's from Louisiana where it's often hot & humid. She's not used to wearing a lot of clothes!" lol... But Connie kept acting as if Britney was something not only secular but almost something evil & ungodly. That's when I got quite upset - and it wasn't even me who my Sunday School teacher was shaming.

Needless to say, Connie wasn't my Sunday School teacher for much longer after that. Moral of the story: Don't make a 14 year-old in 1999 choose between Jesus and Britney because Britney will win out every time. ?

4 minutes ago, ImmaSlave4U said:

Totally! Oh, God. I just recalled a memory I have on this topic: One time I had my Sunday School teacher named Connie over at my house and I was so excited to show her my bedroom all decked out in Britney. I spent hours putting up posters & made a huge collage (a big deal for a not-so-crafty guy like myself lol) I was so proud and thought she'd think my room looked great, but she didn't. Not even a little bit. She tried to shame Britney and I was really surprised and taken aback by her judgments. I first started parroting Britney's answers like, "She's a Christian too, Connie!" "It gets hot up on stage with all that dancing!" "She's from Louisiana where it's often hot & humid. She's not used to wearing a lot of clothes!" lol... But Connie kept acting as if Britney was something not only secular but almost something evil & ungodly. That's when I got quite upset - and it wasn't even me who my Sunday School teacher was shaming.

Needless to say, Connie wasn't my Sunday School teacher for much longer after that. Moral of the story: Don't make a sixteen year old in 1999 choose between Jesus and Britney because Britney will win out every time. ?

In Godney we trust!

oh yes, I totally remember the Christian backlash against Britney. There were legit hoardes of people who thought of her as the devil with ****. This adorable sweet young girl lol

I’ll never forget one time in my sophomore year of high school, in 1999, my world history teacher was making small talk to the new class and brought up Britney. And he mentioned the speculations around her alleged breasts implants. Cringe! I think he was trying to connect with us teens but it was so weird to hear this man in his 50s bring it up. 

15 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

I’ll never forget one time in my sophomore year of high school, in 1999, my world history teacher was making small talk to the new class and brought up Britney. And he mentioned the speculations around her alleged breasts implants. Cringe! I think he was trying to connect with us teens but it was so weird to hear this man in his 50s bring it up. 

OMG! Noooo. I would've adamantly denied that notion in front of the entire class! ?

I had a math teacher freshman year who had a Britney poster on the wall of his classroom. He was into her. But he was into the Spice Girls even more. He had like four posters of them lol. Those were the days! ?

Archived