Britney, Celine, Demi And More Band Together In The "Igual" Video To Help End Violence Against The LGBTQ Community In Brazil

Jordan Miller

Aww now that I know the purpose of this... I’m glad Britney is doing this and raising awareness of the violence towards LBGT people in Brazil. It makes me sad that people are still violent towards others because of their sexuality. Not just in Brazil, but in general. 

On a side note, what does the ‘I’ mean in LGBTI+? That’s the first I’ve heard them referred to in that way. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Arckangel
2 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

The statistics were very enlightening (yet terribly harrowing). I'm glad Britney was a part of this project to raise awareness for the horrific miscarriage of justice occuring in Brazil, and sincerely hope that the human rights situation for LGBT individuals within the nation improves substantially and swiftly.

The problem is that the overall ****** rate in Brazil is incredibly high: 50,000+ ******* per year for a country of 207.7 million inhabitants.

The United States have even more inhabitants (323.1 million) and the ****** rate, though alarmingly, is not anywhere as high (more like 15,000+ per year). As for Canada (my country), it's around 600 per year (for a country of 36.29 inhabitants).

This is part of the reason why the number of slain LGBTs in Brazil is even higher (hundreds per year). There's that plus the horrific miscarriage of justice you've mentioned (politicians, judges, lawyers, police forces that simply don't care) plus the whole stigma attached to homosexuality and transsexualism.

25 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

The problem is that the overall ****** rate in Brazil is incredibly high: 50,000+ ******* per year for a country of 207.7 million inhabitants.

The United States have even more inhabitants (323.1 million) and the ****** rate, though alarmingly, is not anywhere as high (more like 15,000+ per year). As for Canada (my country), it's around 600 per year (for a country of 36.29 inhabitants).

This is part of the reason why the number of slain LGBTs in Brazil is even higher (hundreds per year). There's that plus the horrific miscarriage of justice you've mentioned (politicians, judges, lawyers, police forces that simply don't care) plus the whole stigma attached to homosexuality and transsexualism.

Thanks for offering further information; I know these issues are always multifaceted and never as easy to remediate as we would otherwise assume/prefer.

Do you have any insight as to why the homicide rate is so elevated in Brazil? I know a decent amount about sociopolitical issues in the US, Europe, and the majority of the Middle East, and have a passable understanding pertaining to the remainder of Africa and Asia, but am admittedly not well-versed on Central or South America at all.

Guest Arckangel
9 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

Thanks for offering further information; I know these issues are always multifaceted and never as easy to remediate as we would otherwise assume/prefer.

Do you have any insight as to why the homicide rate is so elevated in Brazil? I know a decent amount about sociopolitical issues in the US, Europe, and the majority of the Middle East, and have a passable understanding pertaining to the remainder of Africa and Asia, but am admittedly not well-versed on Central or South America at all.

I've heard of gangsterism, poverty... It's just odd. Were all those criminals punished severely (life in prison or the death penalty), the homicide rate would drop.

15 hours ago, Arckangel said:

I've heard of gangsterism, poverty... It's just odd. Were all those criminals punished severely (life in prison or the death penalty), the homicide rate would drop.

Financial crisis -> no police budget -> there's a clash between two criminal factions in rio de janeiro -> we been knew some policemen and politics fund those gangs -> prisons and justice system are ineffective for the most part -> it's a warzone -> vulnerable people in poorer areas suffer the most -> public and private hospitals are such in a sorry state so yeah, they die

there's also a blatant lack of respect for life, so hate crimes such as killing lgbts are more common.

it was always bad, it's just getting uglier because of the cuts.

Archived