Would Glory Had Done Better...

OCBoy1985

On 28/07/2017 at 6:11 PM, Steel Magnolia said:

Absofuckinglutely. 

Not only would the Lachapelle-directed version have reinvigorated her stale brand and injected it with a bit of style and controversy, but it wouldn't have DAMAGED it the way the Randee-directed video did.

To quote one of my pop-music loving friends who isn't a Britney fan, and who saw the Randee-directed video:

"It really hurts her brand."

:meltdown:

I agree. Make Me would have done much much better with the original video.

And people saying it wouldn't have impacted the album's performance don't make sense. Hits drive album sales.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

The difference with Katy may have been that Bon Appetit is a dud of a track. It's just not very memorable.

A year later, Make Me still has high replay value because it's a solid track...I think of it more like Hotline Bling than I do Bon Appetit...Hotline Bling was a catchy song, but the wonderfully cheesy video threw it over the top in terms of popularity. A great video for MM could have done the same.

But Drake is also actually popular at the moment. Britney isn't. The things that work for guys could never work for girl pop stars. If so, her cheesy Make Me video should have done something. 

1 minute ago, DoSomething954 said:

But Drake is also actually popular at the moment. Britney isn't. The things that work for guys could never work for girl pop stars. If so, her cheesy Make Me video should have done something. 

Hotline Bling was...cheesy...completely on-brand...and directed by Director X.

Make Me was...tacky...completely off-brand...And directed by Randee.

Big difference.

On 7/29/2017 at 2:52 PM, Steel Magnolia said:

The difference with Katy may have been that Bon Appetit is a dud of a track. It's just not very memorable.

A year later, Make Me still has high replay value because it's a solid track...I think of it more like Hotline Bling than I do Bon Appetit...Hotline Bling was a catchy song, but the wonderfully cheesy video threw it over the top in terms of popularity. A great video for MM could have done the same.

I play MM at least once a day it's a great quality song!

I still applaud and appreciate her taking a risk and releasing a mid tempo as a lead single!

Yes maybe not on a massive level but enough. We saw what a talked about video did for Work ***** and her team needs to accept that the VMAs do not have the same level of power it did when she was at her peak. Streaming has taken over so a controversial performance or a great one would've done something big but the performance focused on Make Me only. It should've premiered with a performance at BBMA, song on iTunes, a longer solo version without G-Eazy and then have the G-Eazy one released at the same time so the collaboration would be more of a surprise. They wasted the VMA opportunity. The second single should've been announced with a video premiere at the show. A Vegas ticket bundle would've helped sales quite a bit. 

well since the video we got did literally NOTHING for make me. yes, the original would have been better for the success of make me and the era. i remember that the official video dropped and make me got red updates on itunes :lemmetellu:

ive never witnessed a musicvideo not helping the song AT ALL :calculating:

i was on the edge of just pirating glory and not giving them a single cent of my money because of how dissapointed i was :wendycry:

those lq snippets we got are MILES better than that cringefest they call a music video. and i dont believe for a second that the original had less story than the released version. :wyd:

britney turning into slutney and killing people in swimming pools because her boyfriend cheated or whatever is enough story for me. everyone was here for slutty titsney and instead we got childish girls destroying the track with their giggling over wanna be **** guys. :nydisgust: 

On 28-7-2017 at 6:26 PM, ohoney said:

It doesn't really matter, GP didn't seemed to care enough about her new music sadly. :lemmetellu:

This. She was already retiring away for like 3 years in vegas. She had to work on her image first and then slayed the BBMAs with the premiere performance of Make Me afterwards, if she did that, I am sure it would have done better. Today's succes is a lot about surprising people somehow, look at Bey...

On 7/31/2017 at 2:38 PM, prettylittleliar_2214 said:

Yes maybe not on a massive level but enough. We saw what a talked about video did for Work ***** and her team needs to accept that the VMAs do not have the same level of power it did when she was at her peak. Streaming has taken over so a controversial performance or a great one would've done something big but the performance focused on Make Me only. It should've premiered with a performance at BBMA, song on iTunes, a longer solo version without G-Eazy and then have the G-Eazy one released at the same time so the collaboration would be more of a surprise. They wasted the VMA opportunity. The second single should've been announced with a video premiere at the show. A Vegas ticket bundle would've helped sales quite a bit. 

That's kinda true cause by time the VMAs came MM was almost 2 months old but that performance did push the song back into the Top 20

On 7/31/2017 at 3:00 PM, Sadira said:

well since the video we got did literally NOTHING for make me. yes, the original would have been better for the success of make me and the era. i remember that the official video dropped and make me got red updates on itunes :lemmetellu:

ive never witnessed a musicvideo not helping the song AT ALL :calculating:

i was on the edge of just pirating glory and not giving them a single cent of my money because of how dissapointed i was :wendycry:

those lq snippets we got are MILES better than that cringefest they call a music video. and i dont believe for a second that the original had less story than the released version. :wyd:

britney turning into slutney and killing people in swimming pools because her boyfriend cheated or whatever is enough story for me. everyone was here for slutty titsney and instead we got childish girls destroying the track with their giggling over wanna be **** guys. :nydisgust: 

I still remember that day I was so hype for the original video and when I played it I was really pissed and I normally don't get upset over things like that but I was heated.

Archived