Will MM become a staple?

monalisaney81

3 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

My other faves are MJ, Whitney, and Mariah. So I can't expect things from two of them :tiffcackle: but Mariah needs to take herself seriously too. Hopefully this new album of hers gives her some success. Same with Britney, I just need to experience one successful era with Britney. :yesplease: I became a stan last year and was too young to live through her prime. 

I discovered her in 2011 and started stanning her around last year so I haven't experienced a sucessful era by her either.

I'm really worried for Mariah tho. I love her, but she seems to be a complete mess nowadays. :donewithit:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Pedro Dantas said:

I discovered her in 2011 and started stanning her around last year so I haven't experienced a sucessful by her either.

I'm really worried for Mariah tho. I love her, but she seems to be a complete mess nowadays. :donewithit:

Me too. She's more of a mess than Britney right now. Hopefully she can get herself together by the release of her new album. Btw how old are you? And is Britney popular in Portugal?

Just now, ShowdownITZ said:

Me too. She's more of a mess than Britney right now. Hopefully she can get herself together by the release of her new album.

I agree. Even if she's not able to have hits (she doesn't need them), it would be cool for her to still deliver an amazing era (and amazing music too).

1 minute ago, ShowdownITZ said:

Btw how old are you?

I'm 15, nearly 16. :)

2 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

And is Britney popular in Portugal?

She was, according to everyone I've spoken to, very popular since her debut until around 2008.

Portugal loves teen stars so she was huge in her debut and BOMT sold 90000 here which is big amount.

She started to drop in relevance a bit when she started to sexualize herself but she was still very popular.

What I think killed her here was the K-Fed break. GH:MP sold 35000 while Blackout and Circus sold only 1000 each. The Singles Collection only sold 500.

A radio station refused to play Womanizer because "no one cares about her anymore" and because of the autotune. Circus did well in radio and so did S&S.

She only came to our country twice: in 2004 and 2011. In 2004, she performed in Rock n Rio and it was really sucessful. She was reportadly gonna come here in 2009, but it never hapenned.

In 2011, not so much. There isn't any boxscore data, but, according to a TV channel, "there were a lot of open spaces" and "there wasn't that much public". And apparently, they got most excited when S&M started playing. FF is certified platinum here (15000).

She still has fans here and Glory debuted at #3 (higher than any album by her since Oops, I think) but she's not as relevant as other pop stars here.

She kinda had a chance with SP tho. I think it debuted at #26 (higher than MM, WB and PG) and at a moment it was in the top 10 of Cidade, a really popular radio station. It's a shame she didn't promote it worldwide. It would've been a hit.

Sorry for this long text.

8 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

I agree. Even if she's not able to have hits (she doesn't need them), it would be cool for her to still deliver an amazing era (and amazing music too).

I'm 15, nearly 16. :)

She was, according to everyone I've spoken to, very popular since her debut until around 2008.

Portugal loves teen stars so she was huge in her debut and BOMT sold 90000 here which is big amount.

She started to drop in relevance a bit when she started to sexualize herself but she was still very popular.

What I think killed her here was the K-Fed break. GH:MP sold 35000 while Blackout and Circus sold only 1000 each. The Singles Collection only sold 500.

A radio station refused to play Womanizer because "no one cares about her anymore" and because of the autotune. Circus did well in radio and so did S&S.

She only came to our country twice: in 2004 and 2011. In 2004, she performed in Rock n Rio and it was really sucessful. She was reportadly gonna come here in 2009, but it never hapenned.

In 2011, not so much. There isn't any boxscore data, but, according to a TV channel, "there were a lot of open spaces" and "there wasn't that much public". And apparently, they got most excited when S&M started playing. FF is certified platinum here (15000).

She still has fans here and Glory debuted at #3 (higher than any album by her since Oops, I think) but she's not as relevant as other pop stars here.

She kinda had a chance with SP tho. I think it debuted at #26 (higher than MM, WB and PG) and at a moment it was in the top 10 of Cidade, a really popular radio station. It's a shame she didn't promote it worldwide. It would've been a hit.

Sorry for this long text.

I am 16. Is she considered a legend tho in Portugal? Who are the big American stars In Portugal?

1 minute ago, ShowdownITZ said:

I am 16. Is she considered a legend tho in Portugal? Who are the big American stars In Portugal?

I don't know if she's considered a legend, but she is an icon. The big American female stars here are Rihanna, Beyoncé, Adele*, Shakira*, J.Lo, Katy Perry, Madonna until around 2008 and Gaga used to be pretty big too.

* I know these two aren't americans but they're huge as well.

6 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

I just remembered that the Eurovision will be hosted in my country next year. She can promote there and it counts as European promo. She can debut her lead single to millions of people. JT did the same last year (he didn't debut tho). :mattafact:

7 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

I don't know if she's considered a legend, but she is an icon. The big American female stars here are Rihanna, Beyoncé, Adele*, Shakira*, J.Lo, Katy Perry, Madonna until around 2008 and Gaga used to be pretty big too.

* I know these two aren't americans but they're huge as well.

What happened in 2008? Why did all these stars stop being successful?

Just now, ShowdownITZ said:

What happened in 2008? Why did all these stars stop being successful?

With Madonna? She stopped being sucessful in terms of singles (4 Minutes was #1 tho). She still managed to sell out a stadium in 2012 (and she performed to 75000 people in 2008) and she's moving to our country which made lots of headlines. In other words , it's just ageism and bad music.

Gaga? She stopped being relevant after BTW.

Katy is flopping.

Beyoncé isn't releasing pop-friendly music (DIL and Runnin' did well, Lemonade was #1 and she sold out the MEO Arena* in 2014). Rihanna is still sucessful (Wild Thoughts is currently at #2).

Shakira is still slaying (Chantaje and La Bicicleta did amazing here), her MEO Arena date for the new tour is doing really well so far. She's beloved here and we love having her in our country (I'm not just making this up because I stan for her, ask other Portuguese exhalers and they will agree).

J.Lo did well here with Ain't Your Mama (#9, I think) and her MEO Arena (2012) date sold out.

Adele is doing amazing here. 25 was number 1 for weeks and she sold out two dates here in Portugal (one on Easter day).

*MEO Arena is our biggest arena and where most stars go.

Archived