CNN The Nineties

mikefatone

170601182520-the-90s-show-logo-3-large-169.png

From executive producers Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman, and Mark Herzog, in association with HBO, CNN's Original Series "The Nineties" explores the decade that gave us the Internet, DVDs, and other cultural and political milestonesSundays at 9 p.m. ET/PT

Has anyone else been seeing print ads for this new limited series  around their town? They feature the iconic 1999 Rolling Stone cover of our girl. They've slowly been creeping up in LA and I had to jump out of my car yesterday to grab a photo with it. Check it out here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BW7uWCeFttq/?taken-by=mikefatone

Apparently the music episode (featuring Britney) will air on August 20th. 

20264557_10102534519764060_5511589490920

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it was pretty short but I loved every second. It was toward the end of the show, within the last 2-5 minutes. If you have CNN On Demand, I think it's worth watching — it's the episode called, "Isn't It Ironic?" I love documentaries like that so I found the entire episode enjoyable. 

• Super Mods
6 hours ago, ZoneGirl said:

Yeah, it was pretty short but I loved every second. It was toward the end of the show, within the last 2-5 minutes. If you have CNN On Demand, I think it's worth watching — it's the episode called, "Isn't It Ironic?" I love documentaries like that so I found the entire episode enjoyable. 

What did they say about her? Were other stars were talked about more than her?

It's a good doc, the 90's was a really a great time in music. :urite:

2 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

Two clips of BOMT & Oops!, along with an old news clip of a reporter calling Britney "the new queen" is shown.     A woman that co-founded Teen People says: "Britney was like the Madonna, whereas Christina was like the Mariah Carey."  This woman than talks about how big of a voice Xtina has.  And that's it.    :gross:

8 minutes ago, Jill Valentine said:

Two clips of BOMT & Oops!, along with an old news clip of a reporter calling Britney "the new queen" is shown.     A woman that co-founded Teen People says: "Britney was like the Madonna, whereas Christina was like the Mariah Carey."  This woman than talks about how big of a voice Xtina has.  And that's it.    :gross:

Why would they pick Oops? Crazy exists. :nicki2:

• Super Mods
2 hours ago, Jill Valentine said:

Ok I understand the disappointment then, she made a bigger splash than they are making it. You would think by using her in ads that they would talk more about her. Also, shouldn't they say Cyndi Lauper rather than Mariah Carey? Christina has a good voice but she's nowhere near prime Mariah Carey cuz the current one is just a living shell of her former self.

3 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

Ok I understand the disappointment then, she made a bigger splash than they are making it. You would think by using her in ads that they would talk more about her. Also, shouldn't they say Cyndi Lauper rather than Mariah Carey? Christina has a good voice but she's nowhere near prime Mariah Carey cuz the current one is just a living shell of her former self.

She's used in the ads because she's an iconic 90s figure; she represents the 90s teen pop boom more than anyone. And they give her a fair amount of time; the show is about the 90s, not just pop culture in the 90s. 

• Super Mods
30 minutes ago, Someone Who Knows said:

She's used in the ads because she's an iconic 90s figure; she represents the 90s teen pop boom more than anyone. And they give her a fair amount of time; the show is about the 90s, not just pop culture in the 90s. 

Yeah but isn't it a series? Like I know they have episodes for different parts of the era like political and such. I figured there should be an episode solely on music and that allows her to be discussed more. 

13 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

Yeah but isn't it a series? Like I know they have episodes for different parts of the era like political and such. I figured there should be an episode solely on music and that allows her to be discussed more. 

That was the episode solely on music lol. But I get what you mean.

I love the series (there are also other decades beginning in the '60s), but they never quite go as far into topics as I would like. There's always a little bit more that could be said. 

I also had a bit of an issue with them playing "Oops!" as iconic as it is, it's from 2000 — the new millennium! — it doesn't belong in The Nineties. They definitely could have used "Crazy."

22 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

In the teen pop section, I wouldn't necessarily say other stars (they only really touched on Christina) were spoken of more than her. At the beginning of the episode, they spent a lot of time discussing grunge  (early 1990s) and the music that came out of that scene. Britney was right at the end because she came at the end of the decade.

(sorry for double posting! Please merge if you can!!)

Archived