Blackout is Britney's biggest album in Russia (Europe album sales)

Lou M. Taylor

17 minutes ago, button said:

A million in Russia is not possible. Their music market isn't big enough for an album to sell 1M. Has one of their local artists even sold half a million with one album? Don't be delusional. :icant2: These numbers are hits for the size of their market. 

Well, Lili Ivanova(the most famouse bulgarian singer) sold 15 Million albums in Russia and her best selling one sold like 3 Million there and Lili is not even a russian. Britney's sales are quite low in a country with population of 180 Million people............. :sassybrit: 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, skkskk said:

Well, Lili Ivanova(the most famouse bulgarian singer) sold 15 Million albums in Russia and her best selling one sold like 3 Million there and Lili is not even a russian. Britney's sales are quite low in a country with population of 180 Million people............. :sassybrit: 

The population of a country doesn't matter. It's the size of the market that does. Just because there are lots of people in a country doesn't mean albums will sell. India has 4 times the population of the US but guess which country Britney sold 40M albums in and which one she sold 200k albums in?

Those figures you're claiming for "Lili Ivanova" can you actually prove them though? There are inflated, fake claims like this all the time. They need to be verified and I'll ask MJD if he knows whether those figures are actually true or not.

If Britney's numbers weren't good in Russia, her albums wouldn't get multi-platinum certifications. These awards are adjusted to the size of the market. They can't award Platinum for 1,000,000 sales in Russia because those numbers are ridiculous for such a small market.

1 minute ago, button said:

The population of a country doesn't matter. It's the size of the market that does. Just because there are lots of people in a country doesn't mean albums will sell. India has 4 times the population of the US but guess which one Britney sold 40M albums in and which one she sold 200k albums in?

Those figures you're claiming for "Lili Ivanova" can you actually prove them though? It's giving me "Dalida sold 170M records" teas. There are claims like these all the time. They need to be verified and I'll ask MJD if those figures are actually true or not.

If Britney's numbers weren't good in Russia, her albums wouldn't get multi-eplatinum certifications.

"Ivanova has recorded and released 35 albums and 29 singles altogether in Bulgaria, USSR, Romania, Turkey, Germany, Spain and other countries.[2] There aren't exact statistics on the number of sold copies of her albums. According to Alexander Yosifov, ex-director of Balkanton from 1968 to 1986, Ivanova's albums in store for the Soviet Union always reached a circulation of over 1 million.[3] The Italian Magazine L'Europeo stated that she has sold more than 10 million copies in the USSR.........." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Ivanova#Discography

In 1968-87 she released 16 albums(https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/Дискография_на_Лили_Иванова#.D0.A1.D1.82.D1.83.D0.B4.D0.B8.D0.B9.D0.BD.D0.B8_.D0.B0.D0.BB.D0.B1.D1.83.D0.BC.D0.B8, it's in bulgarian, but you can still count the albums) and each sold over 1 Million and she released a lot of albums after 1987 as well.

I know it says the USSR, however Russia represented 80% of USSR's economy and market, so she still sold at least 10 Million albums there.

17 minutes ago, button said:

The population of a country doesn't matter. It's the size of the market that does. Just because there are lots of people in a country doesn't mean albums will sell. India has 4 times the population of the US but guess which country Britney sold 40M albums in and which one she sold 200k albums in?

Those figures you're claiming for "Lili Ivanova" can you actually prove them though? There are inflated, fake claims like this all the time. They need to be verified and I'll ask MJD if he knows whether those figures are actually true or not.

If Britney's numbers weren't good in Russia, her albums wouldn't get multi-platinum certifications. These awards are adjusted to the size of the market. They can't award Platinum for 1,000,000 sales in Russia because those numbers are ridiculous for such a small market.

But, yes, Britney's album sales are still impressive, I was just surprsed she sold that so little albums. I guess the music market in Russia is not that strong anymore

49 minutes ago, button said:

A million in Russia is not possible. Their music market isn't big enough for an album to sell 1M. Has one of their local artists even sold half a million with one album? Don't be delusional. :icant2: These numbers are hits for the size of their market. 

zemfira did sell million copies tho :forkit:

14 minutes ago, skkskk said:

"Ivanova has recorded and released 35 albums and 29 singles altogether in Bulgaria, USSR, Romania, Turkey, Germany, Spain and other countries.[2] There aren't exact statistics on the number of sold copies of her albums. According to Alexander Yosifov, ex-director of Balkanton from 1968 to 1986, Ivanova's albums in store for the Soviet Union always reached a circulation of over 1 million.[3] The Italian Magazine L'Europeo stated that she has sold more than 10 million copies in the USSR.........." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Ivanova#Discography

In 1968-87 she released 16 albums(https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/Дискография_на_Лили_Иванова#.D0.A1.D1.82.D1.83.D0.B4.D0.B8.D0.B9.D0.BD.D0.B8_.D0.B0.D0.BB.D0.B1.D1.83.D0.BC.D0.B8, it's in bulgarian, but you can still count the albums) and each sold over 1 Million and she released a lot of albums after 1987 as well.

I know it says the USSR, however Russia represented 80% of USSR's economy and market, so she still sold at least 10 Million albums there.

There are a couple of things I can say here.

First, wikipedia isn't a source for anything! For example, Britney's "...Baby One More Time" wikipedia states that the album sold 30M-35M. It's not true. It has only sold 24M. And there are many more examples, for all artists.

Second of all, I see that she was active in 68-87, maybe the Russian music market was bigger so it allowed her to sell decent amounts, unlike Britney who popped out her first album in 1999 but I still don't believe that she sold as much as you claim. It's better if we refer to a music industry expert.

Finally, you're comparing an artist from that area to Britney. International and local artists should never be held to the same standards for obvious reasons.

13 minutes ago, button said:

There are a couple of things I can say here.

First, wikipedia isn't a source for anything! For example, Britney's "...Baby One More Time" wikipedia states that the album sold 30M-35M. It's not true. It has only sold 24M.

Second of all, I see that she was active in 68-87, maybe the Russian music market was bigger so it allowed her to sell decent amounts, but I still don't believe that she sold as much as you claim.

I think it's better if we refer to a music industry expert.

True, I also think Wikiedia is not a reliable source, but Lili is realy famouse in Eastern Europe and especialy among the older people that still buy music(my grandma is a stan and she has all the 35 albums :quirkney: ). Her latest album(released in 2015) is 7xPlatinum in Bulgaria for sales of 20k albums(and that's HUUUGE since, as we discussed few days ago, Bulgaria's music market is practicaly unexistent) and her older albums (from the 70s and 80s) regulary sold over 100k here. I guess it's a combination of Russoias market being larger 30 years ago and that buying CDs and vimyls was a neccessity back than, when there were no other sources for music. I'm not fan of Lili, but she has extradordinary talent. She is 78, looks 60 and still fills arenas with 15k people. 

PS: Sorry for turning this thread into discussion of my irrelevant country and it's artists. :) 

9 hours ago, button said:

That's unfortunately a myth. The Turkish market is way too focused on local artists for the Oops album to sell 300k there.

The album is certified Diamond in Turkey but it's only equal to 2xP. It's not a huge amount.

Britney fans also say ...BOMT sold 30M copies. What fans say isn't necessarily the truth at all. Most of the time they inflate and fake figures for their favorite's albums. Britney's album sales are great and there's no need to inflate them.

Most international stars don't break into the Turkish market the way she did. She did well in your country.

this still depressed me so bad :meltdown:  thanks anyway

1 hour ago, skkskk said:

True, I also think Wikiedia is not a reliable source, but Lili is realy famouse in Eastern Europe and especialy among the older people that still buy music(my grandma is a stan and she has all the 35 albums :quirkney: ). Her latest album(released in 2015) is 7xPlatinum in Bulgaria for sales of 20k albums(and that's HUUUGE since, as we discussed few days ago, Bulgaria's music market is practicaly unexistent) and her older albums (from the 70s and 80s) regulary sold over 100k here. I guess it's a combination of Russoias market being larger 30 years ago and that buying CDs and vimyls was a neccessity back than, when there were no other sources for music. I'm not fan of Lili, but she has extradordinary talent. She is 78, looks 60 and still fills arenas with 15k people.

PS: Sorry for turning this thread into discussion of my irrelevant country and it's artists. :) 

I understand that Lili is a huge singer in Eastern Europe and I have no doubt she has sold a lot, just not 15M. Britney overall, with her starpower in the big European markets like France, Germany and the UK sold 18M albums in Europe overall with all of her releases. Even with the Eastern european markets at their peak, I have big doubts.

And why are you saying sorry? It was a just a harmless convo sweetie. Don't say sorry. :thetea:

2 hours ago, button said:

Alsu, TATU maybe

2 hours ago, skkskk said:

who? never heard of that artist. fake news. 

33 minutes ago, button said:

I understand that Lili is a huge singer in Eastern Europe and I have no doubt she has sold a lot, just not 15M. Britney overall, with her starpower in the big European markets like France, Germany and the UK sold 18M albums in Europe overall with all of her releases. Even with the Eastern european markets at their peak, I have big doubts.

And why are you saying sorry? It was a great convo sweetie. Don't say sorry. :thetea:

I guess we will never know, since Balkanton(Lili's label) bankrupted in 1999 and it's archieves are either lost, or destroyed. However, as you previously said, artists sell better in the region they come from, as Britney sold only 18 Million albums in Europe, but 40 Million in USA, so it's not impossible for Lili to sell 15 Million and from what I heared from my parents music industry was strong during the communism(pre 1990). 

I tought I annoyed people here with unneccessary discussions. :giggleney:  Glad, you enjoy it. ;) 

28 minutes ago, RussianFan said:

who? never heard of that artist. fake news. 

Bad for you :leaving: 

Archived