What is "The Original Doll"?

IonutM

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

It's Britney's unreleased studio album from 2004. There's very little known about it even to this day. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/britney-spears-original-doll-secret-history-lost-album?utm_term=.esN6mw7m6#.wkA8rwkr8

This is inaccurate. It was the working title to the 5th album. She ended up getting pregnant (twice) which delayed the album and yes the direction changed but there's not some secret unreleased album sitting on the shelves somewhere. Original Doll became Blackout.

12 hours ago, Circuit said:

It was a concept that Britney had. The concept changed and became Blackout.

I don't think so , original doll was meant to be Britney's emancipation from pop music industry , she wanted to talk about new things in the album , and bring hidden messages and really personal thoughts in her songs , blackout tho is talking about her life after kevin and the kids , still her most personal and genuine album but original doll is the younger version of blackout :tiffsmoke:

11 hours ago, Livin4art said:

I don't think so , original doll was meant to be Britney's emancipation from pop music industry , she wanted to talk about new things in the album , and bring hidden messages and really personal thoughts in her songs , blackout tho is talking about her life after kevin and the kids , still her most personal and genuine album but original doll is the younger version of blackout :tiffsmoke:

That's called a concept sweetie

18 hours ago, BraveNewSeth said:

The concept didn't "change" so to speak. It was abandoned completely. TOD and Blackout are two completely separate ideas.

I mean, it did have similarities. Both dealt with her being scrutinized by the media and longing for trust.

We went from Mona Lisa in 2004 for the OD sessions to Rebellion in 2006 for the BO sessions. Not to mention other rebellious tracks like Who Can She Trust and Crucify Me which are also from the early BO sessions with JR Rotem.

Also, the personal and heartfelt songs. Went from Someday in 2005 to State of Grace and Grow in 2006.

It wasn't until she met with Danja and where it shifted into more of a club album along with the more hip hop R&B stuff she was already working on with Sean Garrett, Lil Jon, Pharrell, etc.

Well it's an unreleased album that was supposed to be released in 2005, was supposed to be more personal and Mona Lisa was one of the songs recorded for the album. Britney confirmed the title when she premiered the demo of Mona Lisa on KIIS FM in late 2004 but then the album didn't come out and everything Britney recorded the following year (2006) was for Blackout. We don't know much about it nor any of the other songs (no other leaked songs came from the album) it's up to you to decide whether the album actually exists or not or if it was just a concept Britney had in mind.

8 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I mean, it did have similarities. Both dealt with her being scrutinized by the media and longing for trust.

We went from Mona Lisa in 2004 for the OD sessions to Rebellion in 2006 for the BO sessions. Not to mention other rebellious tracks like Who Can She Trust and Crucify Me which are also from the early BO sessions with JR Rotem.

Also, the personal and heartfelt songs. Went from Someday in 2005 to State of Grace and Grow in 2006.

It wasn't until she met with Danja and where it shifted into more of a club album along with the more hip hop R&B stuff she was already working on with Sean Garrett, Lil Jon, Pharrell, etc.

The theme for TOD was that Britney was the "original" pop princess, and that the other girls who were modeled after her (Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, etc.) are clones and could never replace "The Original Doll." That's why the first single is called Mona Lisa, to tie in with the "original" theme (the actual Mona Lisa painting can never be replicated, get it?). She literally says "she's been cloned" in that song lol. Then there's tracks like MLH that talk about her disenchantment with fame, Ouch which is about Justin, and Peep Show and Conscious which are the obligatory Britney *** songs. 

Blackout on the other hand deals with her personal life. Writing/Recording music as an escape from the troubles in her life at the time. Then you have songs like Baby Boy, To Love Let Go, Rebellion, etc. which she recorded as an outlet to release her feelings on her family, divorce, children... but ultimately those songs would be rejected because she was trying to "black out" the negativity and hardships in her life at that point. 

TL;DR Britney's an underrated artistic genius. 

7 hours ago, Isla. said:

Well it's an unreleased album that was supposed to be released in 2005, was supposed to be more personal and Mona Lisa was one of the songs recorded for the album. Britney confirmed the title when she premiered the demo of Mona Lisa on KIIS FM in late 2004 but then the album didn't come out and everything Britney recorded the following year (2006) was for Blackout. We don't know much about it nor any of the other songs (no other leaked songs came from the album) it's up to you to decide whether the album actually exists or not or if it was just a concept Britney had in mind.

Heaven on Earth, Why Should I Be Sad, Toy Soldier & Hot As Ice were all specifically recorded for Blackout well after OD was abandoned, not sure about the rest though

40 minutes ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

Heaven on Earth, Why Should I Be Sad, Toy Soldier & Hot As Ice were all specifically recorded for Blackout well after OD was abandoned, not sure about the rest though

All of the songs on / for Blackout were recorded once OD was in the can. Remember that OD was mostly going to be made up of reworked ITZ demos.

13 hours ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

I never said those songs were for TOD....

Archived