Jump to content

Britney had a longer shelf life than most artists


Onyx1126

Recommended Posts

I see a lot of posts in here about how Britney isn't making relevant impact any longer. What you guys need to understand is that Britney is a 20 year old act! Most artsists have about 1-3 uber successful eras that really impact pop culture, Britney had 7!!! BOMT, OIDIA, BRITNEY, ITZ, BLACKOUT, CIRCUS & FF all had explosive eras that spanned from 99-2012! That is INCREDIBLE! Do you know how hard that is? Most artists can't even hold GP relevance throughout more than 1 era!Ā 

Britney is at a point now where she is coasting off of the massive/explosive success of her hard work for 20 years in the industry. I think the expectation that she should have that kind of power again is a little bit delusional. I don't even think Janet or Madonna had that kind of impact for that long of a period. A lot of artists explode & then fizzle & then maybe later on they get 1 more big comeback era. Britney on the other hand had a consistent impact throughout her 1st 7 albums & then started to coast into that stage where the era's were more for her "base".Ā 

Say what you want about her now but there is just no denial that Britney grabbed & held onto a HUGE relevance for a very long & extended period of time & it will be a long time before another artist is able to do that again, especially now in these days of ADHD music ebs & flows.Ā 

When this is all over & we are all looking back at the entire span of her career I think Britney will go down as the most influential female pop artist of the 21st century. She shaped how the new gen artists do it.Ā 

Even with this being said.. BJ & Glory we're still waaaay bigger eras than they should've been. We are talking about an 8th & 9th album of an artist who barely left the public eye. The breaks in between eras were never that long.. the longest being what? 2-3 years? It's incredible that the interest stayed as consistent as it has & in my opinion I think that she still has the ability to have a massively successful 20th Anniversary era (album/tour) if it's done right.Ā 

So when posting about her "relevance" within the industry, there is almost nothing negative to be said.Ā 

Link to comment
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with youĀ :forkit:

I mean i dont see many artists from the early 2000's or even earlier being "relevant" as in having more than one current hit songĀ 

its all new artists taking over the music industry and its time to move on from the idea that britney will be the biggest star again in the world in current times

I just hope that she will get recognition for her great work tho, the recognition that it needsĀ 

Ā 

Link to comment

I agree. I think BJ was rush job and also the few time she just slapped her name on something and called it a day. It was kind of expected after the breakdown. Glory is her getting back to her senses and enjoying herself, love life, family , and career again. I think B10 will really be something to look forward to especially after this response Brit eh s getting visiting Asia for the first time I. Some places. It's crazy how long she's been around but is still under 40!!! She's like the Millennial generation'sĀ big sister

Link to comment
On 13/04/2017 at 7:52 PM, The_Original_Toy said:

bc it still made people talk about herĀ 

Gimme More Video, Piece of Me, and other things that happened that year

They weren't talking about her music though, much less her videos.

Blackout was a big commercial underperformance and Femme Fatale was a fairly local era with weak album sales.

If we're being completely honest, she had 5 truly "explosive" and eventful albums: the first four + Circus.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, button said:

Blackout was a floppy era. Not sure why you're counting it.

Ā 

4 minutes ago, The_Original_Toy said:

bc it still made people talk about herĀ 

Gimme More Video, Piece of Me, and other things that happened that year

I mean it still went #2, platinum, inducted in rock and roll hall of fame, and had three charting singles. Two of which are britney classics now. She didn't have to record an album in the disarray and media scrutiny she was in

novody was talking about it then but definetly now

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, DJSLAYZEE said:

Ā 

I mean it still went #2, platinum, inducted in rock and roll hall of fame, and had three charting singles. Two of which are britney classics now. She didn't have to record an album in the disarray and media scrutiny she was in

novody was talking about it then but definetly now

It took 5 years to cross 1,000,000 sales. Platinum sounds cool in 2017 but 10 years ago, all the big names like Alicia Keys and JT were going 3 times platinum comfortably.

Blackout is a great album and one of her best but it sadly didn't get to shine because of Britney's personal life. Gimme more is semi-remembered and Piece of me is a non-factor nowadays.

Link to comment

Janet and Madonna both had impact for that long, arguably longer. Janet was in the All For You era 20 years into her career, getting #1s, Janet also JUST got another #1 album becomingĀ the THIRD ACT to haveĀ #1 ALBUMS IN THE LAST FOUR DECADES, still executing difficult and complex choreography,Ā and Madonna, 20 years into her career,Ā released Music, which is one of her biggest songs and did the Bond theme, also a smash and this was all a couple of years before Hung Up and mind you Madonna is still at it,Ā collaborating with legendary artists like Nas and future legendsĀ like Chance the Rapper and people of her caliber like Nicki Minaj,Ā Justin Timberlake, Britney herselfĀ and Kanye West and touring the world with the same energy she had all those years ago.

Britney's shelf life is super impressive for the mere fact that she's there, not because she's making impact anymore. I also hope B10 connects with the public. I agree Britney still has potential. Not even talking about a #1, just her overall brand has more potential.

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Onyx1126 said:

I see a lot of posts in here about how Britney isn't making relevant impact any longer. What you guys need to understand is that Britney is a 20 year old act! Most artsists have about 1-3 uber successful eras that really impact pop culture, Britney had 7!!! BOMT, OIDIA, BRITNEY, ITZ, BLACKOUT, CIRCUS & FF all had explosive eras that spanned from 99-2012! That is INCREDIBLE! Do you know how hard that is? Most artists can't even hold GP relevance throughout more than 1 era!Ā 

Britney is at a point now where she is coasting off of the massive/explosive success of her hard work for 20 years in the industry. I think the expectation that she should have that kind of power again is a little bit delusional. I don't even think Janet or Madonna had that kind of impact for that long of a period. A lot of artists explode & then fizzle & then maybe later on they get 1 more big comeback era. Britney on the other hand had a consistent impact throughout her 1st 7 albums & then started to coast into that stage where the era's were more for her "base".Ā 

Say what you want about her now but there is just no denial that Britney grabbed & held onto a HUGE relevance for a very long & extended period of time & it will be a long time before another artist is able to do that again, especially now in these days of ADHD music ebs & flows.Ā 

When this is all over & we are all looking back at the entire span of her career I think Britney will go down as the most influential female pop artist of the 21st century. She shaped how the new gen artists do it.Ā 

Even with this being said.. BJ & Glory we're still waaaay bigger eras than they should've been. We are talking about an 8th & 9th album of an artist who barely left the public eye. The breaks in between eras were never that long.. the longest being what? 2-3 years? It's incredible that the interest stayed as consistent as it has & in my opinion I think that she still has the ability to have a massively successful 20th Anniversary era (album/tour) if it's done right.Ā 

So when posting about her "relevance" within the industry, there is almost nothing negative to be said.Ā 

I'm with you, but don't even try to drag Madonna into irrelevancy. You may not think she has any cultural impact, but she does. That woman is still doing STADIUM tours 30+ years into her career and selling shows out left and right. Her performance level is still amazing and she's still one of the leading ladies in pop.

Link to comment
Just now, Pedro Dantas said:

She started flopping hard and became a nostalagia act while 15 years into her career. Other female artists at that time:

Ray_of_Light_Madonna.pngMariah_Carey_-_The_Emancipation_of_Mimi.Janet_Jackson_-_The_Velvet_Rope.jpg

Sorry, but Britney is only 35 and the numbers she's pulling aren't good. B10 better be her Emancipation or else her career is dead.

I know right, I'm all for supporting Britney and appreciating her legacy, but to compare her career to the likes of Madonna and Carey is outright delusional.

I actually feel like Madonna became more popular later in her career. I mean, Ray of Light and Confessions are easily some of her best albums.

Link to comment
Just now, GypsyWoman said:

I know right, I'm all for supporting Britney and appreciating her legacy, but to compare her career to the likes of Madonna and Carey is outright delusional.

I actually feel like Madonna became more popular later in her career. I mean, Ray of Light and Confessions are easily some of her best albums.

True. The only one of Britney's peers flopping harder than her is Xtina and she hasn't launched an album in 5 years so we don't know the numbers she can pull today. If X makes a comeback, Britney's numbers will become the definition of "humiliating".

Link to comment
Just now, Pedro Dantas said:

True. The only one of Britney's peers flopping harder than her is Xtina and she hasn't launched an album in 5 years so we don't know the numbers she can pull today. If X makes a comeback, Britney's numbers will become the definition of "humiliating".

In all honesty, Christina wasn't ever that successful in the grand scheme of things.

Her first album did well, but so did many other debut pop albums during that time. Stripped did decent but she didn't have the level of success that Britney had with her sophomore album. Back to Basics was another mediocre success but it was clear to see that Christina just wasn't a pioneer like the other pop acts. What I will give Christina though is that she is one hell of a singer and while Bionic was not successful, it's easily one of my favorite albums of hers. That said, I never understood this Britney vs Christina because Britney was just miles ahead of Christina in terms of success.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, GypsyWoman said:

I know right, I'm all for supporting Britney and appreciating her legacy, but to compare her career to the likes of Madonna and Carey is outright delusional.

I actually feel like Madonna became more popular later in her career. I mean, Ray of Light and Confessions are easily some of her best albums.

LMAO if you think Madonna was more popular than she was in the 80's when she released ROY or confessions you're the delusional one tbh!Ā 

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ɨ
Ɨ
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker Ā :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated šŸ’œĀ Ā 

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. šŸ™

I've disabled ad block