Britney had a longer shelf life than most artists

Onyx1126

Madonna definitely had that impact for that long of a period lol, Madonna had near-constant success from LIke a Virgin through Confessions On a Dance Floor, with no more than two eras that could be counted as floppy

But yeah Brit's iconic and she's not going to ever just 'go away'; she's a fixture of American pop culture. At the same time, the main phase of her career is over.

I think one more solid era would make Britney a legend -- one more big iconic hit, one more successful era, one more song that can match 'Womanizer' or 'Till the World Ends' -- she needs her Confessions On a Dance Floor era

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GypsyWoman said:

In all honesty, Christina wasn't ever that successful in the grand scheme of things.

Her first album did well, but so did many other debut pop albums during that time. Stripped did decent but she didn't have the level of success that Britney had with her sophomore album. Back to Basics was another mediocre success but it was clear to see that Christina just wasn't a pioneer like the other pop acts. What I will give Christina though is that she is one hell of a singer and while Bionic was not successful, it's easily one of my favorite albums of hers. That said, I never understood this Britney vs Christina because Britney was just miles ahead of Christina in terms of success.

They had their similarities but, by 2002, they were completly different in terms of artistry (Xtina touched issues llike feminism and stuff like that while Britney was still very bubbegum pop).

2 minutes ago, Someone Who Knows said:

Madonna definitely had that impact for that long of a period lol, Madonna had near-constant success from LIke a Virgin through Confessions On a Dance Floor, with no more than two eras that could be counted as floppy

But yeah Brit's iconic and she's not going to ever just 'go away'; she's a fixture of American pop culture. At the same time, the main phase of her career is over.

I think one more solid era would make Britney a legend -- one more big iconic hit, one more successful era, one more song that can match 'Womanizer' or 'Till the World Ends' -- she needs her Confessions On a Dance Floor era

TTWE was a bit local and was never was on the same level as Toxic (or even Womanizer).

I agree with you about the rest. Legends don't become flops 15 years into their careers.

3 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

TTWE was a bit local and was never was on the same level as Toxic (or even Womanizer).

I agree with you about the rest. Legends don't become flops 15 years into their careers.

Yes, TTWE was mostly an American hit, but Britney is an American artist and America is *by far* the largest music market in the world. It sold over 3 million downloads, though, and reached #3 on both the Hot 100 and Pop Radio, and ranked fairly high on the 2011 year-end list. It wasn't as big as Womanizer, but in America, it wasn't *that* far off from reaching Womanizer's success. But I mentioned it to say that if she had a hit on that level (and the equivalent international success), it would be satisfying and be enough to cement her as having a successful 20-year career on the singles charts. There could still be some doubt if the song only reached, say, Hold It Against Me-level success (aside from the hype-driven #1 debut; it didn't even sell 1.5 million downloads), but nobody disagrees in America that Till the World Ends was a big hit. 

Just now, lustwecantcontrol said:

LMAO if you think Madonna was more popular than she was in the 80's when she released ROY or confessions you're the delusional one tbh! 

By more popular I don't mean she was literally more popular than the 80's. I meant that she grew in popularity as in obtained new fans where most artists lose them.

7 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

They had their similarities but, by 2002, they were completly different in terms of artistry (Xtina touched issues llike feminism and stuff like that while Britney was still very bubbegum pop).

Eh, Britney released her 'mature breakthrough' album the next year, and 'Britney' was a transition album Xtina didn't have.

But at any rate, Christina only had three successful eras. She had enough success that she'll always have her loyalists but she's nowhere near Britney's level of success in the big scheme of things.

1 minute ago, Someone Who Knows said:

Yes, TTWE was mostly an American hit, but Britney is an American artist and America is *by far* the largest music market in the world. It sold over 3 million downloads, though, and reached #3 on both the Hot 100 and Pop Radio, and ranked fairly high on the 2011 year-end list. It wasn't as big as Womanizer, but in America, it wasn't *that* far off from reaching Womanizer's success. But I mentioned it to say that if she had a hit on that level (and the equivalent international success), it would be satisfying and be enough to cement her as having a successful 20-year career on the singles charts. There could still be some doubt if the song only reached, say, Hold It Against Me-level success, but nobody disagrees in America that Till the World Ends was a big hit. 

Yes, but the "legends" we think of like Madonna, Carey, Celine, MJ, etc. were artists that had world wide success throughout their careers, not just America.

• Super Mods
1 hour ago, button said:

They weren't talking about her music though, much less her videos.

Blackout was a huge commercial underperformance and Femme Fatale was a fairly local era with weak album sales.

If we're being completely honest, she had 5 truly "explosive" and eventful albums: the first four + Circus.

What are you talking about? It debut at #2 on billboard and she would've had another record broken by having all her albums debut at number 1 but then they had to change the rules to accommodate the eagles greatest hits album which was a walmart exclusive. 

Just now, puppylo16 said:

What are you talking about? It debut at #2 on billboard and she would've had another record broken by having all her albums debut at number 1 but then they had to change the rules to accommodate the eagles greatest hits album which was a walmart exclusive. 

Who cares about where the album debuted, 2.5M albums in 2007 is not good. A-listers that year were selling that amount just in the US.

3 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

It was still an underperformance. After the debut hype died, it started falling hard off the charts. Same with Gimme More.

Im sorry but anyone who thinks Britney is done/flopping is ******* stupid. Just because her last two albums didn't reach number one means nothing. They both reached  the top 10 with almost no promo. Glory didn't really get promo till later on and the first music video was put out super late. No one really buys music anymore.  To think she's going to pull numbers like she did in her prime is delusional because Britney simply doesn't put in the work. Vegas was WILDLY successful and Glory is a genuinely good album. We all know she is capable of being as relevant as she wants, she just has to put in the work. I just don't think its something she truly wants. She just likes what she does.

23 hours ago, Dirty Boy said:

She's not irrelevant, lbr...

But when people, especially us fans, say that, it's because we know she's capable of ruling the world. Let's not forget that there wasn't anyone near her fame since her peak.

I kinda wish her star didn't burn so bright sometimes. Like it was great but imagine just ruling the game from your first song and not stopping until **** got super real. Like some of the pop stars above didn't take off till third album or had a moment of flopping (which is natural). It wore that natural drive and talent out imo and it's finally consistent . I think B10 could be britneys emancipation of Mimi/confessions

21 hours ago, GimmeBritney1 said:

Im sorry but anyone who thinks Britney is done/flopping is ******* stupid. Just because her last two albums didn't reach number one means nothing. They both reached  the top 10 with almost no promo. Glory didn't really get promo till later on and the first music video was put out super late. No one really buys music anymore.  To think she's going to pull numbers like she did in her prime is delusional because Britney simply doesn't put in the work. Vegas was WILDLY successful and Glory is a genuinely good album. We all know she is capable of being as relevant as she wants, she just has to put in the work. I just don't think its something she truly wants. She just likes what she does.

And honestly it gave her the balance she always wanted. I'd rather wait longer for good quality eras that may not be the chart toppers they once were- not saying she can't have hits though obviously she still is. I think that's what she wants to. Come with a bang then go back to your normal Life. I mean that's where Madonna, Janet, even Beyoncé are- the make quality albums and eras and may not be #1s or killing radio but their performances and tours are top notch. 

1 minute ago, DJSLAYZEE said:

I kinda wish her star didn't burn so bright sometimes. Like it was great but imagine just ruling the game from your first song and not stopping until **** got super real. Like some of the pop stars above didn't take off till third album or had a moment of flopping (which is natural). It wore that natural drive and talent out imo and it's finally consistent . I think B10 could be britneys emancipation of Mimi/confessions

Emancipation and Confessions were Mimi's and Madge's 10th albums.

@britneyspears You know what to do. :wannadie:

9i4jcx.jpg

On 13.04.2017 at 11:56 PM, button said:

Who cares about where the album debuted, 2.5M albums in 2007 is not good. A-listers that year were selling that amount just in the US.

according to your logic: `who cares about sales?`. lol. why ignore the debut number but pay attention to sales? she was hated by the world that time. wot did you expect? to sell 10 mil in a week? lol. the other a-listers couldnt even debut on top 3 at that time. :staysalty:

bye felicia. :queenflopga:

6 minutes ago, 3Pney said:

according to your logic: `who cares about sales?`. lol. why ignore the debut number but pay attention to sales? she was hated by the world that time. wot did you expect? to sell 10 mil in a week? lol. the other a-listers couldnt even debut on top 3 at that time. :staysalty:

bye felicia. :queenflopga:

It doesn't matter one bit if it debuted at #1 or #2. What matters is how much it sold in the end. Blackout's total sales are not good.

The world hated her ok ok blablablabla - I'm not in this thread to discuss why the album flopped, I'm just pointing that the album didn't do well.

Who are these A-listers you're talking about? JT, Alicia, Nelly Furtado all had their albums debut at #1 and go 3x Platinum at least.

Your post is so stupid. :orangu:

Archived