Britney had a longer shelf life than most artists

Onyx1126

On 2017-04-13 at 3:29 PM, Pedro Dantas said:

She started flopping hard and became a nostalagia act while 15 years into her career. Other female artists at that time:

Ray_of_Light_Madonna.pngMariah_Carey_-_The_Emancipation_of_Mimi.Janet_Jackson_-_The_Velvet_Rope.jpg

Sorry, but Britney is only 35 and the numbers she's pulling aren't good. B10 better be her Emancipation or else her career is dead.

EDIT: Why are people downvoting me for this? Did I lie?

Those years are far gone. The music industry of today is clearly not the music industry of those years and Madonna, Mariah and Jannet could never pull those numbers today even with these albums. With the execption of Adele and Taywhore, no one sells albums these days. The music industry has shifted and it's ******* hard for artists to pull numbers now. So your argument is invalid. :queenriri:

Plus Glory is free of flaws musically so yeah girl can still make excellent music. She had one so-so album so don't act like she's been releasing **** music, it's false.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jay Holiday said:

were you even out of diapers when Blackout came out ? What are you talking about ???? EVERYONE had Blackout on their tongue. Do you want me to poast Youtube videos of artists, radio dj's ect all talking about the album ?? The album had a #2 single, the album was supposed to debut at #1 but BB ****** her over with that literal last minute rule change. Piece of me sweeped at the VMA's that year. Sit your hating *** down :staysalty:

Blackout missed the top 30 on the 2007 IFPI global report and sold a modest 2.5M. It was a commercial underperformance, there's no way around it.

She was relevant and her personal life events were discussed by everyone. Her music sadly didn't get the same treatment. And your 5-6 videos don't prove anything when the numbers are here. A shame because Blackout is great. The album deserved to be a hit.

And really ? Femme Fatale was fairly local ? Again what fuckery ??? HIAM debut at #1 in 17 countries. Which was a record at that time. Till The World Ends was a massive success and was voted the song of 2011 in the state. and I Wanna Go had her longest radio run up until that time. FEmme Fatale had 3 top 10 singles. 2 of them being top 5. And don't get me started on the reviews the album got. Britney started the dubstep wave in pop music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold_It_Against_Me

I can only count 6 countries where it went #1, so it probably debuted at #1 in less than 6 countries.

You're full of ****. Record, my ***.

Notice how all of the stats like "3 top singles", "voted best song in the state", "I Wanna Go's radio run" are all US achievements. But Femme fatale wasn't a local era, right?

Album sales in general are down for almost everyone minus Adele, Beyonce, Taylor Swift and maybe 1 or 2 more artist. Everything else falls on streaming. You're trying so hard to make Britney seem less relevant/succesfull then she is.

No one is talking about Britney's current commercial performance because we all know she's not doing well. But since you brought that good stuff up:

Streaming is the current metric of success, correct, but who told you Britney was doing well in streaming? Her streaming is catastrophic.

And since sales are down for everyone, why didn't she make the 2016 Billboard Year end album chart?

The thing is Britney is 35, she's young and capable, she could still be extremely successful. Madonna was older than she is now when she released ROL, Music and Confessions, Mariah was that age and older when she released Emancipation and E=MC, im not even going to bring Beyoncé into the mix, Britney can still have big and impactful eras if she wants to.

I actually think she wants to, but her team is so shitty :/

4 hours ago, ubritney said:

Those years are far gone. The music industry of today is clearly not the music industry of those years and Madonna, Mariah and Jannet could never pull those numbers today even with these albums.

Of course they can't! They're 50 and don't need to. They are already bonafide legends with NOTHIING TO PROVE! Which is not Britney's case.

Britney is 35 and she can't even sell more than 500k albums or get a top 10 single.

Also, like @button pointed out, why wasn't Glory in the year-end charts? :ponderney:

12 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

Of course they can't! They're 50 and don't need to. They are already bonafide legends with NOTHIING TO PROVE! Which is not Britney's case,

Meanwhile, Britney is 35 and she can't even sell more than 500k albums or get a top 10 single.

Also, like @button pointed out, why wasn't Glory in the year-end charts? :ponderney:

Britney having a Confession era or Emancipation era doesn't mean she needs to sell 10M copies. There are other metrics of success in 2017.

She could at least for starters, not land out of year end charts (that go down to 200) and spend more than 2 weeks in the top 20, maybe? Those things are unrelated to the industry's shift. :queenriri:

13 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

Of course they can't! They're 50 and don't need to. They are already bonafide legends with NOTHIING TO PROVE! Which is not Britney's case.

Britney is 35 and she can't even sell more than 500k albums or get a top 10 single.

No you misunderstood me. Them at the same age and place they were in their career when they released these albums in today's market. They'd flop numbers wise.

Just now, button said:

Britney having a Confession era or Emancipation era doesn't mean she needs to sell 10M copies.

She could at least for starters, not land out of year end charts (that go down to 200) and spend more than 2 weeks in the top 20, maybe?

I agree with you 100%.  Only Adele can get past 10M these days.

1 minute ago, button said:

She could at least for starters, not land out of year end charts (that go down to 200) and spend more than 2 weeks in the top 20, maybe?

:jackk: And she still coudn't land there...

OT: It's time for the Emancipation of Knee Knee/Confessions of a Vegas Residency!

9i4jcx.jpg

11 minutes ago, ubritney said:

No you misunderstood me. Them at the same age and place they were in their career when they released these albums in today's market. They'd flop numbers wise.

If you moved today's market to Madonna's, Janet's and Mariah's eras, they would have less album sales but big streaming, which reflects their popularity during those years. Which means their success would stay intact and just as impressive.

Britney can't get a 10M selling album because of the sales climate ok, but if she actually becomes popular and relevant again, her albums and songs will be streaming hits, thus achieveing her "Confession" and "Emancipation" eras. Albums and songs don't chart purely on sales anymore. There's streaming as well. Which she also sucks at too currently.

4 minutes ago, ubritney said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean the albums wouldn't do well.

Britney isn't doing well and she's just 35. Janet, Mimi and Madonna were still getting hits at that age.

Numbers are irrelevant, it's about the charts. Mariah's Emancipation was the biggest selling album of that year, so regardless of the year-- that's the point. 

Once I heard Make Me, I truly thought Glory was gonna be her Emancipation era. The music was there, but it all just kinda fell apart.

She's still young enough that if she really wants to she could have another hit, but she's gonna have to try a lot harder.

6 minutes ago, woabritney said:

Numbers are irrelevant, it's about the charts. Mariah's Emancipation was the biggest selling album of that year, so regardless of the year-- that's the point. 

Once I heard Make Me, I truly thought Glory was gonna be her Emancipation era. The music was there, but it all just kinda fell apart.

She's still young enough that if she really wants to she could have another hit, but she's gonna have to try a lot harder.

Exactly. If her chart runs are bad, it means she's doing worse than everyone else. Charts are basically a comparison. She can sell a modest 500k copies but if it places her at #3 on a year end chart, it means she's doing very well.

4 hours ago, ubritney said:

Those years are far gone. The music industry of today is clearly not the music industry of those years and Madonna, Mariah and Jannet could never pull those numbers today even with these albums. With the execption of Adele and Taywhore, no one sells albums these days. The music industry has shifted and it's ******* hard for artists to pull numbers now. So your argument is invalid. :queenriri:

Plus Glory is free of flaws musically so yeah girl can still make excellent music. She had one so-so album so don't act like she's been releasing **** music, it's false.

It's not about the numbers, it's about growing up and having a musical evolution. All of those 3 albums were a new step forward for the women mentioned.

Britney is 35 and still pulling the same *** kitten schtick since she dropped the Lolita image at 20. Almost 2 decades of the same thing, if her music was at the average level of other pop girls from that time like Jessica Simpson and company, she'd be completely irrelevant today.

Can you tell me the difference between the Circus / Femme Fatale / Britney Jean aesthetics of Britney?

Fact is, the maturity and musical quality of her albums have DROPPED since 2007. It was an uphill climb from Baby to Blackout. Circus was safe, Femme Fatale was a step backwards, Britney Jean was rock bottom. At least with Glory, we were able to get a small glimpse of the artist within.

Britney needs to really go in a different direction with B10 and gain some artistic credibility, because that's what not only the critics and committees are looking for, but the GP as well.

1 hour ago, BoyToySoldier said:

It's not about the numbers, it's about growing up and having a musical evolution. All of those 3 albums were a new step forward for the women mentioned.

Britney is 35 and still pulling the same *** kitten schtick since she dropped the Lolita image at 20. Almost 2 decades of the same thing, if her music was at the average level of other pop girls from that time like Jessica Simpson and company, she'd be completely irrelevant today.

Can you tell me the difference between the Circus / Femme Fatale / Britney Jean aesthetics of Britney?

Fact is, the maturity and musical quality of her albums have DROPPED since 2007. It was an uphill climb from Baby to Blackout. Circus was safe, Femme Fatale was a step backwards, Britney Jean was rock bottom. At least with Glory, we were able to get a small glimpse of the artist within.

Britney needs to really go in a different direction with B10 and gain some artistic credibility, because that's what not only the critics and committees are looking for, but the GP as well.

I'm just sick and tired of arguing with you all. Britney almost died. She hit rock bottom and had to re-build herself as a person, emotionally also. She set her priorities on her well being and her sons and just accepted to go with the flow with her carreer to keep working, keep her name out there and please her fans. Glory is a major step forward and is only a good sign of things to come. You are not pleased with her 'aestetics' well then fine. I mean who cares at this point. The person she was died and the person we see now is someone else. Someone focused on the real meaning of life. Go stan someone else if seeing your idol happy isn't good enough for you.

13 minutes ago, ubritney said:

I'm just sick and tired of arguing with you all. Britney almost died. She hit rock bottom and had to re-build herself as a person, emotionally also. She set her priorities on her well being and her sons and just accepted to go with the flow with her carreer to keep working, keep her name out there and please her fans. Glory is a major step forward and is only a good sign of things to come. You are not pleased with her 'aestetics' well then fine. I mean who cares at this point. The person she was died and the person we see now is someone else. Someone focused on the real meaning of life. Go stan someone else if seeing your idol happy isn't good enough for you.

Holy ****, the drama, why is a 10 years old breakdown being mentioned out of nowhere?

Are you telling him to accept and enjoy whatever Britney puts out and to not criticize her because of a 10 years old event? She's had plenty of time to recover and she's completely fine now.

But keep using that breakdown as an excuse to everything till she hits 60

Just now, Pedro Dantas said:

I agree with you 100%.  Only Adele can get past 10M these days.

:jackk: And she still coudn't land there...

OT: It's time for the Emancipation of Knee Knee/Confessions of a Vegas Residency!

9i4jcx.jpg

OMG YOUR NAMES. YOU'RE AWESOME :hipney:

1 hour ago, button said:

Holy ****, the drama, why is a 10 years old breakdown being mentioned out of nowhere?

Are you telling him to accept and enjoy whatever Britney puts out and to not criticize her because of a 10 years old event? She's had plenty of time to recover and she's completely fine now.

But keep using that breakdown as an excuse to everything till she hits 60

This place is a disaster. I feel sorry for you.

2 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Her conservatorship obviously had something to do with Circus (as she alluded to in that For The Record Documentary) Femme Fatale and Britney Jean .

But I agree with you regarding her next album.

23 hours ago, GypsyWoman said:

Oh don't even start on that crap. Britney did not bring dub-step to music. It was being done long before.

I never said to music. Reading comprehension is clearly something you lack. I said IN POP MUSIC. Which is a fact. Every reviewer stated that she'd be copied and she was that year. up until the Dubstep breakdown in HIAM. There was ZERO dubstep in mainstream pop music.

Archived