Debunking Myths: "Gimme More" vs "Hold it against me" (Bigger US hit?)

Dinirocal

There's no doubt that "Gimme More" is a miles more legendary, iconic and appreciated song that "Hold it against me". It is often named as one of her biggest US hits by her fans while no one mentions "Hold it against me" .... But did you know that "Gimme More" was in fact a technical smaller hit than "Hold it" in USA? ..

"Hold it against me" had the bad fame or wrong thought of being known as a #1 song that plummeted quicker than a ray of light. Well this is not entirely true, while the song definately didn't enjoy massive longevity it never really "plummeted" and went from #1 to #20 to #60 to #90 and out. That was not the case. 

Just sales are not the only and sole factor that defines a hit, but a combination of several factors. "Hold it against me" debuted at #1 and actually spent a moderate 5 weeks inside the Top 10 on the Hot 100 (her lead singles could be lucky to spend 2 weeks inside top 20 these days) while "Gimme More" peaked at #3 and spent only 3 weeks inside the Top 10 on the Hot 100 (lower peak and less weeks inside top 10 than "Hold it against me") but that was not all, "Hold it against me" was an actual pop radio hit scoring a 88,4million audience (one of the highest of her career) and peaked at #3 on Pop radio, while "Gimme More" struggled on the format with a disappointing 28million audience. This made overall "Hold it against me" a technical bigger US hit which spent more weeks in Top 10 and Radio waves than "Gimme More". 

Bonus trivia: "Hold it against me" is actually Britney's 7th song with the most weeks inside the Top 10 in USA. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GetBack98 said:

So what are the 6 Britney songs that spent more weeks inside the top 10? I'm curious :ponderney:

Actually HIAM is tied at 6th among her songs with most weeks inside top 10. I just decided to pull a tie-breaker and gave it the 7th position because "Circus" was definately bigger and pulled more weeks in the Top 20.

BOMT - 14 weeks

Womanizer - 13 weeks

3 - 11 weeks

Scream & Shout - 11 weeks

Till the world ends - 9 weeks

Circus - 5 weeks

Hold it against me - 5 weeks

I still find it amazing that most of her big top ten hits came after what most people consider peak Britney or after her breakdown . 

I cant figure out why she's lost so many fans over the past few years . X factor ? Vegas ? Momney? 

2 minutes ago, Masyah said:

I still find it amazing that most of her big top ten hits came after what most people consider peak Britney or after her breakdown . 

I cant figure out why she's lost so many fans over the past few years . X factor ? Vegas ? Momney? 

She disappointed people with some things in the FF era but to the general public she disappeared. I had to tell people about Glory and BJ compared to FF and Circus where everyone knew about the new music. 

Archived