Was the 2006/2007 Britney paparazzi craze the worst its been for any artist in history?

greenbear89

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, as far as I'm concerned anyway.
Everything with Britney in 2007 was an event, even if she just went to Rite-Aid - it was a freakin event. It wasn't like they hounded her just to get a few shots of her getting in the car and then went away. They spent HOURS on end with her, tailing her from her house, to the gas station, supermarket, a leisure drive, etc - basically from the time she walked out her door until the time she pulled back in her driveway. We were FLOODED with videos constantly. Britney basically stayed at the top of the X-17 website. It was such a spectacle.
And you're right. It was bound to have been extremely claustrophobic. It's uncomfortable for me to watch as well.

5 hours ago, ElectriqueBrit said:

Kim Kardashian is at the level today, maybe even worse.  

5 hours ago, Born2Die said:

Marilyn Monroe got the same kind of paps when she was released from treatment. But to be honest in America, I think they only one who has rivaled her was Kim Kardashian, especially since her robbery.

wtf?

how can you compare Britney's meltdown to Kim's robbery? :rude2me:

Kim is NOT at the same level of emotional and physical breakdowns of Britney!!! i mean, not even near  :beynah:

Kim is just grabbing what she planted in some way... Britney was never an attention ***** like Kim (even though i like her, i know that she is well-known for nothing in the end). Britney never wanted the attention of paparazzi like she felt those days!

it's just not comparable. 

2 minutes ago, Maryy said:

wtf?

how can you compare Britney's meltdown to Kim's robbery? :rude2me:

Kim is NOT at the same level of emotional and physical breakdowns of Britney!!! i mean, not even near  :beynah:

Kim is just grabbing what she planted in some way... Britney was never an attention ***** like Kim (even though i like her, i know that she is well-known for nothing in the end). Britney never wanted the attention of paparazzi like she felt those days!

it's just not comparable. 

No no, they're not comparing her robbery to Britney's meltdown. They're just saying that the attention she's gotten from the paparazzi since she's been robbed has increased!:)

5 hours ago, ElectriqueBrit said:

Kim Kardashian is at the level today, maybe even worse.  

No, not at all. You cannot compare the intense following Britney was under back in 2006- 2008, especially around september 2007 to march 2008. She was on freaking LIVE STREAM 24/7 with helicopters and 15- 50 paparazzi chasing her everyday all day. And also the most photographed around that time. 

The intrest around Kim is extreme as well, I'm not saying that. But it's nowhere near as agressive and tragic as it was with Britney during that time. It'll go to history with the following of Marilyn Monroe and Lady Diana. Everyone thought Britney would die or kill herself because of this horrible things that went on. 

5 hours ago, DaddySayzee said:

MJ definitely, Lindsay Lohan, Lady Diana, Marilyn Monroe- basically anyone who was really succesptible (sweet, quiet, charismatic, talented)

why did you downvote @Lonely-*** for no reason lol ? :nothavingit:

R u people rlly pissed about downvotes, who cares. People downvote when they dislike something or dont agree. I get downvoted all the time.

Britney was really the one who suffered from the emergence of sites like Perez Hilton, TMZ etc. from watching that doco 'Miss American Dream' (which was AMAZING) you can see the change, at the start of her career she was saying 'I can't stand when celebrities complain about how bad their lives are' etc etc. but by the time she was doing that Matt Lauer interview you could see how she explained the paps and the way they worked had changed. They didn't respect boundaries anymore and you could see they were really starting to scare Britney. I think she had it one of, if not the, worst - 30 or so people following her basically at all times? Running red lights and breaking road rules to keep up with her etc. and this went on for years, just imagine it! Awful. I can't remember where I read it but I remember reading an article where a pap was describing how they used to work off tips of where people would be etc. but with Britney they just started parking outside her house permanently 24/7 with their engines running ready to chase, so that's literally 24/7 harassment for years. And people wonder why she 'went crazy'?! So ridiculous. I mean it cost tax payers 25k when she went to hospital because they had to have police ****** to keep the paps away, and even then she got not a shred of sympathy - the police chief just said 'Britney Spears should stay home' or something like that! Disgusting! Weren't they going to try and change the laws and call it Britney's law or something? I mean that in itself indicates she had it pretty damn bad. 

I think more and more celebs today work with the paps, give them the shots they want in order to have privacy when they want it. In general the media is a lot more respectful today - you would NEVER get away with the kind of stuff Perez used to write today. 

I think Britney had it more extreme than anyone else.. ever. Even Dianna.

Dianna had intense scrutiny for sure - but she wasn't driving herself around all night, engaging in bizarre and unpredictable behaviour, and letting the paps in..

The timing of the surge in celebrity websites, rise of digital paparazzi culture, and her meltdown.. created the perfect storm of paparazzi feeding frenzy that the world had never seen. 

46 minutes ago, Slave4Brit88 said:

Britney was really the one who suffered from the emergence of sites like Perez Hilton, TMZ etc. from watching that doco 'Miss American Dream' (which was AMAZING) you can see the change, at the start of her career she was saying 'I can't stand when celebrities complain about how bad their lives are' etc etc. but by the time she was doing that Matt Lauer interview you could see how she explained the paps and the way they worked had changed. They didn't respect boundaries anymore and you could see they were really starting to scare Britney. I think she had it one of, if not the, worst - 30 or so people following her basically at all times? Running red lights and breaking road rules to keep up with her etc. and this went on for years, just imagine it! Awful. I can't remember where I read it but I remember reading an article where a pap was describing how they used to work off tips of where people would be etc. but with Britney they just started parking outside her house permanently 24/7 with their engines running ready to chase, so that's literally 24/7 harassment for years. And people wonder why she 'went crazy'?! So ridiculous. I mean it cost tax payers 25k when she went to hospital because they had to have police ****** to keep the paps away, and even then she got not a shred of sympathy - the police chief just said 'Britney Spears should stay home' or something like that! Disgusting! Weren't they going to try and change the laws and call it Britney's law or something? I mean that in itself indicates she had it pretty damn bad. 

I think more and more celebs today work with the paps, give them the shots they want in order to have privacy when they want it. In general the media is a lot more respectful today - you would NEVER get away with the kind of stuff Perez used to write today. 

18 minutes ago, Cbrit said:

I think Britney had it more extreme than anyone else.. ever. Even Dianna.

Dianna had intense scrutiny for sure - but she wasn't driving herself around all night, engaging in bizarre and unpredictable behaviour, and letting the paps in..

The timing of the surge in celebrity websites, rise of digital paparazzi culture, and her meltdown.. created the perfect storm of paparazzi feeding frenzy that the world had never seen. 

This tbh. When social media started to rise. Youtube and everything else. And tabloid papers and magazines were selling like hot cakes and they were capitalizing on Britney. I remember in 2007, Pix and stories of Britney by the papz and the media made up a large part of the US economy that year. Which was both crazy and sad. 

7 hours ago, Lonely-*** said:

Idk, I used to think that but a lot of Spanish celebrities get that treatment in Mexico. The paparazzi are loud, they interrupt you and stick the microphone up nostrils. 

I do not think,  the media in Mexico can be hard but much of the situations are  when the stars are in events etc .... but britney was something suffocating as  the previous comment says, it seemed like a kind of psychological torture they dont let her alone any second,  was like when a person loses their freedom.

11 minutes ago, ifuseekari said:

This tbh. When social media started to rise. Youtube and everything else. And tabloid papers and magazines were selling like hot cakes and they were capitalizing on Britney. I remember in 2007, Pix and stories of Britney by the papz and the media made up a large part of the US economy that year. Which was both crazy and sad. 

Exactly, you can imagine how desperate those paps would have been to get photos when they were worth so much money. It would have been SO scary and awful to be at the centre of that. I don't care about this 'They signed up for this, they're celebrities' nonsense, NO ONE deserves to be treated that way and to feel afraid like that. :wontcry: They didn't even look at her as a person, just as their next pay check. 

3 hours ago, Slave4Brit88 said:

Exactly, you can imagine how desperate those paps would have been to get photos when they were worth so much money. It would have been SO scary and awful to be at the centre of that. I don't care about this 'They signed up for this, they're celebrities' nonsense, NO ONE deserves to be treated that way and to feel afraid like that. :wontcry: They didn't even look at her as a person, just as their next pay check. 

Remember when they had her obituary ready... It's very sad and sick :S  

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now

No celebrity was ever followed INSIDE the stores by 30 paparazzis, like Britney was :orangu: Even Lady Diana did not go through that

It was crazy. There's even an actor (can't remember his name) who leaved L.A because Britney caused too much chaos :orangu:

Archived