When did the GP turn on Britney?

Is it just me or has anyone else been witnessing all the negative comments about her? Twitter, Facebook, YouTube. People really want her to retire and it makes me sad :embarrassney:

i think that vma performance really hurt her reputation :( 

I don't know why but it just seems like a lot of people are hating on her. It makes me sad as a fan. I've always loved Britney on top and slaying everyone but it feels like she's a has been. Does anyone else feel this way? :angietea:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

where have you been?

This has been going on ever since maybe Britney Jean. The BBMA performance got the same comments from the GP but people here said that good performances get negative comments so its ok, that they were jelly and pressed and it didn't reflect the opinion they've had on Britney for a while now  :lustney:

Just now, --- said:

people have hated britney since inception of her brand

This but to answer your question, I think it was around the femme fatale era when the GP really stopped rooting.. The live performances and the tour I think were the cause.. And then X factor put another nail in the coffin :grimace:

Guest Diamond Horse

the hate is really even bigger after the VMAs. People comment on videos not directly related to Britney where they compare artists and say things like "still better than Britney".

After everything Brit went through in 2007, people rooted for her.. But not just that, she had substance.. People knew her story and were more forgiving of her limitations because she was an interesting survival figure who had fallen from grace and come back. 

That narrative has now been lost because:

- Her anxiety whilst filming X-factor meant she showed little personality or substance - GP started turning away at this point. She was boring and completely lacked any depth.

- BJ which promised to be more personal was less personal and of mediocre quality. 

- So much time has passed with her doing and saying nothing interesting - she has quite literally been going through the motions in Vegas.. and that's not enough to pique the interest of the public long term.

Glory is selling based on the moderate success of Make Me, and nostalgia for Britney of old.

The narrative that made her an interesting and captivating figure has been lost. Her beauty, voice and nostalgia aren't enough to sell millions. That's okay though - we need to remember that she's happier this way.

Gp on internet is  stupid and mostly based on 13-17 years old brat or another stans pressed they are no aware how important britney is for the industry, they are uneducated, britney has lived under hate most  part of her career other celebrities make their teams erased that kind of message but still dont know if it is a symptom of weakness or good image management

The hate isn't the problem it's that people aren't buying that is the problem. Justin Bieber gets a shitload of hate but people are still buying the music and concert tickets. With Britney they're just hating because she's been in the news more recently. Comparisons to 2001 don't work people were still buying back then. It is a problem now.

Honestly, I think a part of why the GP has turned away from her is what has helped Britney return back from all that happened in 2007: her private, guarded nature. Part of what makes a comeback story so interesting and makes people want to root for you is the redemption story. In Britney's case, after 2007, she understandably became more guarded, some of this was not by choice due to her conservatorship. Whether the GP is entitled to it or not, everyone wanted to see that vulnerable, personal side of Britney as she redeemed herself after her breakdown. The Circus era only showed the GP that Britney the musician was still here, and FTR gave some glimpses into the personal side of the comeback, but beyond that, there was little in the way of substance. Femme Fatale era showed a Britney just going through the motions. I agree that X-Factor was the nail in the coffin. By being on a national show like that, there was an opportunity for Britney to be a household name again, and she had the perfect setup as the mentor for the young group. Instead, again, we saw a Britney going through the motions and devoid of any real personality. In being on a show that was so widely viewed by the GP as X-Factor, unfortunately, that solidified any opinion the GP had of her. Her team is not dumb and they knew it. That's why the Britney Jean era was marketed as her most personal album yet. They knew that the GP and fans wanted the more personal, intimate side of Britney. Everyone was still waiting for the phoenix-rising side of a meltdown story. Unfortunately, it ended up being another let down, and it marked in people's minds Britney as just another young celebrity who was burned out by fame. 

Its really sad bc for the fans who have stuck around, we have seen the personal redemption of Britney. The People magazine cover of her with her boys is so heartwarming. She's in such a good place now with Vegas, her music, and herself. It's a shame that the GP isn't giving her a chance. And it's even more a shame that radio seems to be turning their back on her music as well when finally we have the quality substance we've been waiting for. 

11 minutes ago, blue.monopoly said:

The hate isn't the problem it's that people aren't buying that is the problem. Justin Bieber gets a shitload of hate but people are still buying the music and concert tickets. With Britney they're just hating because she's been in the news more recently. Comparisons to 2001 don't work people were still buying back then. It is a problem now.

Justin Bieber albums are not bought mostly by the GP his fan base is huge, his fans are teenager in the hormonal age and they see their life through him many of them prefer streams and certify  his album than go to school, they are probably bigger teen fandom out there with the swifities and directioners and of course the parents of those kids are who buy  the tickest for concerts. Adele, beyonce, taylor, ********* are those who really are holding by the GP.

14 minutes ago, blue.monopoly said:

But it's not that they're not buying because the VMA performance, or the "current hate". During BJ, they didn't buy either even if they weren't hating on her, because she was literally out of the radar. They're simply not here for Britney Spears anymore, since years ago.

The hate has "increased" (actually just become more evident) because the articles praising Britney have increased a lot too in the last months, since the days before the BBMA. Literally, this year I've had my Facebook flooded of Britney articles, mainly positive ones, from all kind of pages, even the ones that aren't music related. Even a Mexican music channel, Ritmoson, which only talks about hispanic artists/music, and only mentions foreign artists that have sung in Spanish, like Xtina, posted about Britney Spears yesterday because of Change Your Mind. The Latin Nickelodeon website posts a lot about Britney too, a tattoo page I follow, I mean, the most random pages are talking about her, that's why we see more haters commenting, because they get mad that a "talentless" person is being this successful. That's another phenomenon I've seen, most of the negative comments (the ones you can tell aren't coming from Beyonce's or other artists' fans) truly believe Britney Spears is still selling millions and is still on top of the charts, because they see all the media still talking about her, when really she isn't selling as much as her peers. I noticed this since last year with Pretty Girls. People were mad that a song like this was "a hit", and that's why their negative comments become harsher, louder, meaner.

The general public has always disliked her since day one. She has her fans and that is her support. This is not new stuff. People said she should retire during the circus era yet that album and femme fatale did extremely well single wise . Most pop music fans like her music but she has far more haters and this is true to the old Britney as well 

33 minutes ago, Cbrit said:

After everything Brit went through in 2007, people rooted for her.. But not just that, she had substance.. People knew her story and were more forgiving of her limitations because she was an interesting survival figure who had fallen from grace and come back. 

That narrative has now been lost because:

- Her anxiety whilst filming X-factor meant she showed little personality or substance - GP started turning away at this point. She was boring and completely lacked any depth.

- BJ which promised to be more personal was less personal and of mediocre quality. 

- So much time has passed with her doing and saying nothing interesting - she has quite literally been going through the motions in Vegas.. and that's not enough to pique the interest of the public long term.

Glory is selling based on the moderate success of Make Me, and nostalgia for Britney of old.

The narrative that made her an interesting and captivating figure has been lost. Her beauty, voice and nostalgia aren't enough to sell millions. That's okay though - we need to remember that she's happier this way.

:queenie: I'm slayed 

Archived