Article: The Placement of Britney Spears (Lainey Gossip)

Steel Magnolia

THE PLACEMENT OF BRITNEY SPEARS

"How do we properly assess the performance of Britney Spears last night? Knowing what she’s gone through, is it the gentle approach? Do we make an exception on standard and collectively agree that it was a decent return to the VMAs? It was a decent return to the VMAs. And she looked terrific on the red carpet in that black dress, really fit and extensions in good shape as well. But now I’m focusing on the physical before the creative. Which is problematic too.

It’s just that if we are to actually assess Britney’s performance by what her peers are bringing to the industry and manifesting on stage, being that Britney is, after all, a previous recipient of the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, shouldn’t our expectations be higher? Otherwise, why wouldn’t we just watch Fifth Harmony? No disrespect to Fifth Harmony. They’re at the beginning of their careers. And, to be honest, that’s where Britney’s level of artistry is now – in measure with a musical act that started out on a talent show that she judged.

So this is not just about the lip-synching; live singing has never been part of her arsenal. It’s also not just about the fact that MTV scheduled her immediately after Beyoncé which so many people are calling unfair. I mean…yeah… it wasn’t the ideal placement, for sure. But MTV didn’t choreograph that number. MTV didn’t decide that it would be shadow hand puppets. HAND PUPPETS!!! MTV didn’t design that horribly low rent yellow costume. Those boots, God, they made me so sad. MTV is not responsible for those boots. Nor is MTV responsible for the tired, unimaginative choreography. Yes, she hit most of her moves. But for most artists, that’s the bare minimum. And this brings us back to the original question: Do we judge Britney on a bare minimum now or do we aim for more?

More for me isn’t even about the dancing. Look at Rihanna. It’s not like Rihanna’s choreography is all that special. In fact, it’s pretty forgettable. The difference between Rihanna and Britney, though, is the primal energy. There’s a rawness in Rihanna’s presentation that has characterised her entire career. She’s pure spontaneity to Beyoncé’s total control, and nothing feels missing in either option, because each artist, in her own individual way, is connecting with her material. With Britney, there’s always a gap that’s left behind when she performs now, not just a gap between her and us but a gap between her and her art. In the before times, when Britney was on stage, that space wasn’t there. It’s what made her so electrifying and it’s what has sustained us all these years – we have lived on that specific, lighting special spirit of Britney for almost 20 years. But for how much longer?"

SOURCE: http://www.laineygossip.com/Britney-Spears-MTV-VMA-2016-performance/44769

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is absolutely ridiculous. People see what they want to see, I feel.

Because Britney has not been conected with her art for more time as we know, but Glory isn't one of those times. To be honest, is the opposite. She feels into it so much that it shines.

And in yesteday's performance wasn't different. She was beautiful, and the moves were awesome. I am a really critizing person, but I swere I loved it every single second of it.

lol **** them all before everyone was saying "Britney can't dance anymore" now she slats every move and they come for lip synching and now her spark ***** plz Britney worked that stage better than any stage she has worked since 2003...it seemed like for once she felt at home on THAT stage...beyonce or no beyonce she SLAYED and the fact she gave no ***** about what beyonce did before her speaks volumes and will teach beyonce and the rest of the ******* that Britney isn't scared of any of those hos...it's a double standard Britney performed a mid tempo song. She didn't come to outdo everyone she came to top 2007 and she did dat by miles. She also outshined every other performer except the ***** that did a whole concert 

I hope Larry is paying attention to articles like this. Because I'm not detecting any lies in this article. 

Britney needs to hire a creative director. In her early years she had Wade Robson, who not only choreographed but was a DIRECTOR. For the Circus tour she had Jamie King.

Who is she using right now for creative direction? Because THAT is the difference right now between Britney and her peers. :mhm:

27 minutes ago, WootsWow said:

Truth:idkney:

15 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

I hope Larry is paying attention to articles like this. Because I'm not detecting any lies in this article. 

Britney needs to hire a creative director. In her early years she had Wade Robson, who not only choreographed but was a DIRECTOR. For the Circus tour she had Jamie King.

Who is she using right now for creative direction? Because THAT is the difference right now between Britney and her peers. :mhm:

her father ?

Don't agree with this BS.

You guys know damn well that Britney killed it! You're just distracted by the Beyonce theatrics and obsessed with the public's opinion

Sad hoes you all are!

Britney looked spectacular! She danced amazingly and supported her co-staar. She's such a good person! Be as happy for Britney as Britney is happy for Britney. She called the night unforgettable. So deal with the queen's quote. She still is the queen. She made all of you guys believers and entertained us for decades. Show some respect!!

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now
1 hour ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

With Britney, there’s always a gap that’s left behind when she performs now, not just a gap between her and us but a gap between her and her art. In the before times, when Britney was on stage, that space wasn’t there. It’s what made her so electrifying and it’s what has sustained us all these years – we have lived on that specific, lighting special spirit of Britney for almost 20 years. But for how much longer?"

I kinda agree :otears: oh god :otears: 

Sadly it's a consequence of her breakdown. She is happy now, she doesn't look lost anymore, but the fire, the passion is not back :otears:

Ugh the whole point of the simplicity of the production was the fact that Britney is always surrounded by dozens of dancers and props and **** and this one she was front and center which really faced a fear and a pressure. And she actually looked happy and comfortable. The performance was absolutely excellent and they really capitalized on the chemistry between her and g eazy when a lot of times the feature just comes out on a diff stage sings his verse and leaves. It was solid as ****. This article is reaching 

The thing is Britney´s performance was the only one that is watchable, she delivered a simple, yet well executed performance, whereas Beyonce delivered a bouncing parade snoozefest... and Rihanna pretty much was forgotten, which is really sad because she performed like the whole show :ehidk:

Archived