My (long) Glory Review!

FocusOnMe

Britney Spears is and always will be a legend. Whether you are a huge fan, or you can’t stand her, you cannot deny she’s had an incredibly large impact on the music industry. Although her vocals may not be a favorite of music critics, it has a certain tone and edge that makes her songs addictive. Over the past 18 years, she’s been through so many obstacles that many of us may never have to face. She has proven to be an incredibly strong individual and as a huge fan, I am grateful she was able to overcome those obstacles.

After the fan favorite (and one of my personal favorites) Blackout, Britney released Circus, Femme Fatale, and Britney Jean. While Circus and Femme Fatale had strong singles, some lacked a certain “spark” that Britney fans loved about the singer. Britney Jean was a bit worrisome, because not only was the music subpar and dated (aside from Work ***** which was a personal favorite off that album), but Britney herself didn’t really seem attached to the project in general. It is also a bit of a gray area as to how much Britney actually sang in that album, but I won’t get into that here.

Two years after the underwhelming release of Britney Jean, “Pretty Girls” made its way onto the airwaves and unfortunately, it suffered the same issue that Britney Jean had. The sound was outdated, the song itself was a bit annoying and Iggy Azalea had just started receiving backlash from the public for her controversial comments regarding race. 

Fast forward to today, where we have the best album that Miss Spears has put out in years, and could possibly be her best album yet. Glory takes elements from all of her past albums (sans Brenda Joan), explores new areas, and remains entirely cohesive. The album opens with “Invitation”, a beautiful and angelic ballad that showcases Britney’s beautiful falsetto, and goes into “Make Me” (“Do You Wanna Come Over?” on the CD version). “Make Me” is one of Britney’s strongest leads in years. It’s not the only lead-single worthy track on the album, but we’ll get into that later. “Private Show” remains fun and catchy, but it’s definitely not the best off the album. “Man On The Moon” does exactly what “Alien” tried to do, but this time, it succeeds. Britney’s sweet vocals glide over this happy-go-lucky track, but what makes this song so interesting is that the lyrics are actually quite depressing. Remind anyone else of another Brit song released back in the day? Plus, the instrumental is absolutely gorgeous, especially during the bridge.

Next up is my personal favorite off the album, and it seems to be a fan favorite too! “Just Luv Me” is a career moment for Britney. It is reminiscent of the 2016 sound created by Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez, but it is so much more. This song absolutely could have been the lead single as well, I’d think of this as the “Toxic” of Glory. The simplistic yet incredibly beautiful instrumental compliments Britney’s **** vocals as she requests to only be “loved”. It’s one of her best songs in years, dare I say it could potentially be her most iconic single since “Gimme More”?  

“Clumsy” and “Do You Wanna Come Over?” were both released as instant grats, and they both welcome the return of the beloved Blackout sound, especially the latter. Britney dives into new territories with the midtempo jam “Slumber Party”, which could totally be a future single. It’s fun, **** and Brit even drops the F-bomb during the chorus. “Just Like Me” (not to be confused with Just Luv Me) is a guitar driven song with an electro-pop chorus. Britney’s vocals sound fantastic, and while this song took a few listens for it to grow on me, it’s now one of my favorites. “Love Me Down” is one of my favorites off the album. While originally rumored to be a ballad, it’s completely the opposite. It’s a fun, dance-floor jam that would have an amazing music video if it were released. “Hard To Forget Ya” is another boppy song that also has single potential (notice how many songs have single potential). “What You Need” is a fun album closer that falls within the same realm as “Private Show”, you’re either gonna love it or hate it. Personally I love it!

Now, the bonus tracks. The bonus tracks are all amazing. Seriously, all of them are incredible and could have been standard tracks. “Better” is Britney’s “Lean On” and I am HERE FOR IT. “Change Your Mind” is one of my favorite songs as well, and it features Brit singing in Spanish! (Watch out, Christina). 

“Liar” is another career moment for Britney. I don’t know how this isn’t on the standard version. It’s Britney going back to her pure pop roots and I LOVE IT. “Cry, Cry Cry you ain’t fooling anyone” she chants as we all pretend this song is about JT. 

“If I’m Dancing” is the most uptempo track on the album and it’s SO good. It’s like 2016’s “Brave New Girl” and I am so in love with it. The deluxe album closes on a very surprising note with Britney singing (beautifully) in French paying homage to 2007’s “Blackout”. I have yet to read the translation of the song, but I am sure it’s pure poetry.

This album is certainly her best one yet, and it makes me incredibly proud to be a fan. As it’s been said 500,000 times before, Britney’s back. Really though, she’s back. Her heart and soul went into this album, and it paid off. This album stands equal to In The Zone and Blackout, and as time goes on, it may even stand taller.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived