Anyone else think the leak was intentional??

Magnolia

2 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

What's the split these days for digital vs. physical purchases?

We've got to be getting to the point where digital sales far outnumber physical. Financially, it may be wise for the industry to start changing the way they do things and only start offering physical copies after the digital release has passed.

maybe that's how it is in western countries, just because America is flowing one way doesn't mean everyone else caught up yet
edit: this sounds very salty lmao :uknowit: im not! :moorangu:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Sokka said:

A normal day in some american lifes:myjam:

But finally a good reason to do so, though. :queenflopga:

27 minutes ago, Amy Lee Spears said:

I mean they can't just get it a day before, it's logistically unrealistic

they can't NOT have it on release day 

They could, though. If the 1,000 copies sold in Mexico are sold on the 2nd or the 3rd day, it will not affect worldwide sales that much. :juggingu:

32 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

Why in the world would a record label ship physical copies so soon before the release date?

Any record label? For any artist? In 2016?

:ricackle:

RCA and Team Britney are morons. This is another tragic example. :crying1:

4 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

What's the split these days for digital vs. physical purchases?

We've got to be getting to the point where digital sales far outnumber physical. Financially, it may be wise for the industry to start changing the way they do things and only start offering physical copies after the digital release has passed.

It is the case for some albums lately, like Beyoncé's. Way easier to prevent leaks this way.

30 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

Why in the world would a record label ship physical copies so soon before the release date?

Any record label? For any artist? In 2016?

:ricackle:

They should've known better. Beyonce can keep her **** locked down, but in the Britney world there are always substantial leaks, and they're almost always caused by idiocy. 

Just now, Amy Lee Spears said:

maybe that's how it is in western countries, just because America is flowing one way doesn't mean everyone else caught up yet

True enough. But they don't release movies on the same date all around the world. They premiere movies on one continent first, and then stagger the release date on other continents as they're able to parade the director and actors out on promo tours.

Why not do the same for music?

4 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

True enough. But they don't release movies on the same date all around the world. They premiere movies on one continent first, and then stagger the release date on other continents as they're able to parade the director and actors out on promo tours.

Because movies are different. There can be spoilers online, and shitty cam bootlegs, but it's hard to pirate an HD film. The film isn't easily available in good quality online until a dvd release. You need to go to the movie theatre to see a film. An album on the other hand can be uploaded onto the internet in minutes and spread like wildfire and be streamed right from your phone or downloaded onto your computer. 

2 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

I feel like this won't work for music, I guess instant gratification is expected? music is portable and comes in chunks, so people wouldn't feel like 'waiting' for it as opposed to waiting for a film. Plus movies are still accessible via theaters even if people can't pick them up. 
and really I don't think the fact it was physically shipped to different countries is what caused the leak, I think it's just an isolated event. I'm not sure if the album was released just at one chain or not, but if so it would make sense for someone to confuse the dates and have it released six days ahead of time 

6 minutes ago, Amy Lee Spears said:

edit: this sounds very salty lmao :uknowit: im not! :moorangu:

Well, accessibility IS a problem that people in the west often forget about. Accessibility to the internet is even a hallmark of white privilege in North America. I live across the street from a First Nation here in Canada, and the entire reserve has a 90's-era DSL connection speed, while all of the white settlers one street over have high speed cable. It's terrible.

It never hurts to have it brought up. :yeaok:

10 minutes ago, canttakeme said:

Because movies are different. There can be spoilers online, and shitty cam bootlegs, but it's hard to pirate an HD film. The film isn't easily available in good quality online until a dvd release. You need to go to the movie theatre to see a film. An album on the other hand can be uploaded onto the internet in minutes and spread like wildfire and be streamed right from your phone or downloaded onto your computer. 

That's exactly why I'm saying the music industry should mimic the way the movie industry does it. 

They could easily do a digital release first worldwide, and then ship the physical copies the day of the digital release. If every label did this, then every artist would be on the same playing field.

59 minutes ago, Magnolia said:

And Brilliant!  Maybe not intentional( i dont know) but we cant deny that the promotion/ buzz/ hype surrounding Britney and Glory, right now, is INCREDIBLE!!!

We still havent even got Carpool Kar., VMAs, iheart festival, etc...

:werk:

BRING IT!!!

I thought it was a possibilty because of where and how it leaked. That some random stores in Mexico city sold a limited batches ahead of schedule accidentally? (And NO yesterday was NOT the official release date for Mexico).

If the leak was going to be purposely done to create buzz, team Britney would want to guarantee it would pop off the right way, and what better place to plant the leak than the city where she is the most streamed in all of the world?

The leak has caused an enormous amount of buzz reaching people outside the fanbase 1 week ahead of the monster promo in a few days. And the risk isnt even that bad because..1. The Army and other stans have already preordered/gifted and are buying multiple physical copies 2. Some people who wouldnt actually give Britney a chance are loving it and are saying they are actually going to buy a copy all over twitter and 3. The haters that never would have bought an album anyway are hearing it and giving her props/applauding her artistic credibility again. 

When factoring all that together it has its perks. Plus, no official word from camp Britney on the leaks, no panicked early release or tweet from Britney regarding disappointment like she did with HIAM/FF

And if the original Make Me video does end up coming this week like rumored, I'll be further convinced that Team Britney crafted a very cunning and risky/smart plan for this era. 

11 minutes ago, BreatheOnMoi said:

Team Britney just loves having hundreds of thousands of people streaming this album from illegal links and an illegal download so that you guys can not stream the album when it comes out so that the album can debut pretty low and they will lose money.

That's totally exactly what they wanted. Well done.

:divaney:

:hype:

Archived