The backstory of the original ‘Britney Jean’

Personally, I’m not fond of the official Britney Jean album, but I recently learned that its direction was originally meant to be very different from the end result. In fact, it is said that Britney was working on a hip-hop influenced pop record, before the idea was scrapped so she could pursue her label’s concept of an EDM sound, following the success of “Scream & Shout.” 

Coming to think of it, I always wondered about a rumored song she had with Wiz Khalifa, but was never quite sure if I was making that up. However, the collaboration was indeed a thing, & intended to form a part of the original record. This is all based on articles I’ve read, so I’m not sure how much truth there is to this story, but I still find it very interesting.

Allegedly, she began the recording sessions during the second season of The X Factor (U.S.), back in 2012 — & there was even a clip of her, & producer Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins in the studio. Other rumored producers behind the scrapped project were Hit-Boy, & the amazing Danja.

spacer.png

I want to say I believe this, because the Britney Jean EDM concept just never sat well with me. In fact, it makes me sort of sad to know the album could’ve been much more substantial had Britney been granted more creative control. After all, she is the princess of pop, not electronic music.

What do you guys think about this, & does anyone know about any possible demos, or further details on this original album concept?

• Love 4

imagine if we got another album with danja and darkchild :melt_weird_drift_wow:

i don’t think britney ever enjoyed EDM music tbh and while femme fatale is a perfect EDM record, they should’ve stopped there. not even allowing her creative freedom was a huge misstep

Edited by thesimplelife
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

The original starting point of the project was "He About To Lose Me" since it resonated so much within the fanbase.

I believe Britney was hella mad they axed the whole project and decided to boycott the recording sessions by not recording everything in the hope they wouldn't be able to use the songs... Little did she know.. :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

• Love 2

I don’t even believe she recorded with darkchild in that clip, I think her disgusting team set it up for music hype because there is absolutely no way if she recorded with thee Rodney Jerkins it was not good enough to make the final cut over the atrocity we got. 
I feel like fans fixate too much on this album, they promised too many people the wrong stuff and Britney was not in the right head space to record, RCA were pushing for an album to promote the residency and this was the result. 
I wish we could do that MJ fans did and sue Sony and have this POS removed from streaming and her discography. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.