Why Didn’t Britney Mention ‘Original Doll’ in Her Memoir?

I won’t pretend like I didn’t look forward to reading about it when I first bought her memoir, at least for two sentences. However, not one word on Original Doll was mentioned —& to be honest, I’ve had many questions regarding that album, such as its sessions, & the things that inspired her at the time. Seeing that era through her lens, & learning about the project, as well as its setbacks, why it eventually fell-through, & how she felt about it. All of that would’ve been a dream to read.

In another scenario, I would’ve even accepted if she said, “By the way, Original Doll was never really a thing. Sorry to burst your bubble.” That would’ve sufficed as well, we would’ve marked it as an overstated rumor, & moved on. Coming to think of it though, maybe she didn’t mention the album, because it never truly existed —but I’d be overthinking at this point, so disregard that one thing.

On the whole, Britney’s memoir was mainly an outlet for herself, so if she felt a sense of relief from expressing what she wanted, then that’s what truly matters. As for Original Doll… if there’s any truth to it, I suppose the subject paints to remain unexpressed.

Would you have liked a small part of the memoir reserved for the Original Doll era?

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, MissDebbie said:

Because it was never a solid thing, just a bunch of recording sessions. 

I think the label wanted to do another album and she sabotaged the whole thing by leaking Mona Lisa. Because she wanted to be a mom. 

It has been 20 years of her not wanting to work and be a regular mom and yet people can't understand it.

Well it was solid enough for her to call it an album and dropping the title on the radio. So it must have at least been a thought or two.

OP I agree, id love to learn more about it as well 

• Love 4
  • Like 2

It’s ghostwritten. There’s a ton of **** she left out like Myah Jean, the real dirt on Jason, and so much more. Britney said herself the album was halfway done when she dropped Mona Lisa at KISS, just because the information isn’t public knowledge doesn’t mean it doesn’t “exist”. Seeing positivist perspectives from people who assume ALOT is really weird.

Edited by RedBloodedWoman
  • Love 1
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, MissDebbie said:

Because it was never a solid thing, just a bunch of recording sessions. 

I think the label wanted to do another album and she sabotaged the whole thing by leaking Mona Lisa. Because she wanted to be a mom. 

Your POV makes sense, although it does make me wonder sometimes. Maybe it was only sessions & nothing more, but who knows. I appreciate your comment.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, DoYouDare? said:

I won’t pretend like I didn’t look forward to reading about it when I first bought her memoir, at least for two sentences. However, not one word on Original Doll was mentioned —& to be honest, I’ve had many questions regarding that album, such as its sessions, & the things that inspired her at the time. Seeing that era through her lens, & learning about the project, as well as its setbacks, why it eventually fell-through, & how she felt about it. All of that would’ve been a dream to read.

In another scenario, I would’ve even accepted if she said, “By the way, Original Doll was never really a thing. Sorry to burst your bubble.” That would’ve sufficed as well, we would’ve marked it as an overstated rumor, & moved on. Coming to think of it though, maybe she didn’t mention the album, because it never truly existed —but I’d be overthinking at this point, so disregard that one thing.

On the whole, Britney’s memoir was mainly an outlet for herself, so if she felt a sense of relief from expressing what she wanted, then that’s what truly matters. As for Original Doll… if there’s any truth to it, I suppose the subject paints to remain unexpressed.

Would you have liked a small part of the memoir reserved for the Original Doll era?

Original Doll never existed. Britney was already recording music for her next album when she debuted Mona Lisa at that radio station but there was never a finished album concept in the works. She was just trolling and purposefully pissing off her label by saying otherwise - which is the same thing she does on Instagram nowadays. Lol

• Love 1
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, knee Queen of pop said:

Original Doll never existed. Britney was already recording music for her next album when she debuted Mona Lisa at that radio station but there was never a finished album concept in the works. She was just trolling and purposefully pissing off her label by saying otherwise - which is the same thing she does on Instagram nowadays. Lol

I actually read about that some time ago, & I find it interesting how she went to that extent, just to push some buttons. However, I wouldn’t be surprised. That said, I do tend to wonder about this “album” every so often, but they’re simply thoughts.

Thank you for your comment.

14 minutes ago, Isla said:

Because it’s not a real album? And Britney probably doesn’t remember it well enough to discuss it in the book.

You’re right, it wasn’t an album, but there could’ve been a phase of sessions for it that I would’ve liked to read about in the book, if they even existed, but it’s only a thought.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.