I'm still not convinced that "Everytime" is about Britney's unborn baby

Fita

I just saw it as a restart to her entire life. Fame isn’t everything she thought it would be - it’s killing her. Terrible relationships, tabloids ridiculing/exploiting her, overburdened by fans etc… her life is **** and so after taking a big huge dump and cleansing herself in the tub, she’s renewed in this “dream” she’s been envisioning for herself. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Bingjmljr said:

If I remember correctly EveryTime was released after Cry me A River… maybe it was Britney’s subtle F U to Justin.  A nod to their unborn baby that only he would pick up on.

Yes. But in a 2003 performance of Everytime (ABC special I think?) Britney said she had written the song two years ago (2001), before Cry Me a River (and the breakup as far as I’m concerned)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Frankie8 said:

Some crackpots made it about her baby and it permeated through the fanbase who has then made it their mission to spread this to anyone who will listen.

It's about a breakup. It was always about a breakup. It's about Justin as we all know. It was confirmed the song is a breakup song. Where fans have latched on to it being about the baby, I don't know why, but they have spammed the corners of the internet to tell non fans it's about her unborn child.

This. Fans make up anything and run with it it’s so cringey. 

my personal favorite is Britney was supposed to sing me, myself and I live at the VMAs 2016 yet performed it in vegas and lipped to the same vocal :tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

I'm going to say ... Unpopular opinion 

I think it begins about the breakup - "notice me, take my hand..."

Then it moves to the loss "I make believe you are here... What have I done?" 

I've had seven miscarriages - the "I see your face, it's haunting me"

"Please forgive me, my weakness caused you pain". 

And the desperate prayer for relief -"at night I pray, that soon your face will fade away."

Those read so d.amn close to me - and the lullaby quality to the whole thing (low key, Britney reinventing dream-pop) it's just so so close and exactly the sentiment one feels after a loss (even if it was an ab.ortion, she had deep and, likely, contradictory, thoughts about it.

Finally - when she performed it in the promotion cycle for ITZ, she added "afterall" and I would argue this was likely the original ending of the song, which changes the meaning slightly to something more... "I guess I need you, baby. Afterall, afterall..."

Anyway, that's my useless anthology, I don't know that I'll ever hear it otherwise after the book. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.