Britney x Will.i.am: An Honest POV

Prior to anything, I’d like to express that I consider Will.i.am to be a good producer, with a unique vision for his music. So, I wouldn’t mind him working with Britney, provided I didn’t feel as if he was always trying to push an “EDM-ish” genre onto her.

I’ll set some examples below:

01.) “Scream & Shout”

This song was unlike anything we would’ve anticipated her music to ever sound like, but its clubby style was suitable for the time, although it just wasn’t “Pop.” To clarify, the song isn’t entirely Britney’s, but it serves as reference to the subject.

02.) Work B***h!”

To brusquely express, this song was heavily auto-tuned, to the point where her vocals were displeasing enough to strain one’s ears (specifically, during her verses). To be fair though, its motivational lyrics do manage to ameliorate certain aspects, but that doesn’t mean it’s ever met the criteria for an overall quality Britney song by reason of its electronic sound —at least through my lens.

03.) “MIND YOUR BUSINESS”

Just when we thought we’d moved past the “EDM-ney” phase, came “MYB.” Initially, I submitted myself to the fond illusion the song would bring something more authentic to the table, however, despite its convincing title, the song turned out to be in the same (now-redundant) sound I’ve been referring to this entire discussion.

To conclude, I’ll clarify that this is all coming from my own personal standpoint. I’d also like to add that he seems kind & caring towards Britney, so I don’t mind the idea of them working together —so long as he creates music that’s authentic to Britney’s essence, and not his own.

Do you agree? Share your thoughts.

Edited by DoYouDare?
5 minutes ago, MissDebbie said:

I think they are a match made in hell.  He should stay away from her and get a job! :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

I hate to say that I understand exactly what you mean, but I’d like to think I see potential, as long as he drops his “sci fi/robotic” sound when he’s working with her. :rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously:

He helped Britney promote when she was not really capable to promote her music, hence why I think he played a big part. Simon Cowell was her sidekick for XFactor to field questions and then they realized they could do the same thing with Willie.  He did the best with what he had to work with … 

Edited by devilsadvocate
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, DoYouDare? said:

I hate to say that I understand exactly what you mean, but I’d like to think I see potential, as long as he drops his “sci fi/robotic” sound when he’s working with her. :rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously:

The William who produced Elephunk, Monkey Business, and Fergie's songs.  I dont know why he is so hesitant to try other sounds, he is obsessed with EDM and sadly he is not very good at it. There is more than a decade of disastrous song after disastrous song. When will it be enough? When will he draw the line? :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

Edited by MissDebbie
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

I think he cares about Britney and she likes him a lot. Her relationship with producers is important because certain people she will never work with again like JR.

What Will did for her was great but I think his style is a bit dated and they should not work together again. I actually don't mind Mind your business as a demo or leaked track. It wasn't worthy of being released like it was, and at the time it was released.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Mutya said:

Work ***** is not a will.u.not production, it’s Sebastian Ingrosso’s. I think you confused with It Should Be Easy.

To my knowledge, he’s also behind “Work B***h!,” although “It Should Be Easy” fits perfectly with the subject as well —and Will.i.am is the only one I notice fans coming for, so I based the topic on him.

29 minutes ago, MissDebbie said:

The William who produced Elephunk, Monkey Business, and Fergie's songs.  I dont know why he is so hesitant to try other sounds, he is obsessed with EDM and sadly he is not very good at it. There is more than a decade of disastrous song after disastrous song. When will it be enough? When will he draw the line? :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

The Will.i.am for Elephunk & Monkey Business is exactly why I see the potential. You definitely get what I mean.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, BritneyWiki said:

I think he cares about Britney and she likes him a lot. Her relationship with producers is important because certain people she will never work with again like JR.

What Will did for her was great but I think his style is a bit dated and they should not work together again. I actually don't mind Mind your business as a demo or leaked track. It wasn't worthy of being released like it was, and at the time it was released.

I feel like “MYB” could’ve at least been reworked to suit her aesthetic, & blend with the times —but I always feel like we get an overly edited robotic vibe when they work together. However, an R&B/Pop could do wonders, imo.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, devilsadvocate said:

He helped Britney promote when she was not really capable to promote her music, hence why I think he played a big part. Simon Cowell was her sidekick for XFactor to field questions and then they realized they could do the same thing with Willie.  He did the best with what he had to work with … 

Don’t get me wrong, I think they probably work well together, but it’s the sound that could be tailored more to her style. It’s the point I’m trying to make. Less robotics, more natural production.

"Scream and Shout”
This song and MV were very important messages to convey to someone about her plight, which at the time was terribly human rights violated under the conservatorship system.
I think Will was helping her to do that. If so, I, as a fan, would like to thank Will for that🎊
Her message is very much present in this song and MV, and that message at least reached someone she wanted to reach.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

the music would be fine if her respected her voice, but it's clear he doesn't. every song they have together has a ghost singer or vocals so saturated with production that it might as well not be her. he gives her his worst music and treats her vocals like they're garbage.

1 hour ago, turquoise said:

"Scream and Shout”
This song and MV were very important messages to convey to someone about her plight, which at the time was terribly human rights violated under the conservatorship system.
I think Will was helping her to do that. If so, I, as a fan, would like to thank Will for that🎊
Her message is very much present in this song and MV, and that message at least reached someone she wanted to reach.

That’s a uniquely analytical perspective.

1 hour ago, --- said:

the music would be fine if her respected her voice, but it's clear he doesn't. every song they have together has a ghost singer or vocals so saturated with production that it might as well not be her. he gives her his worst music and treats her vocals like they're garbage.

I think he’s unique in the studio, although I would definitely appreciate a more authentic “Pop” approach where Britney commands the song, showcasing her range, & lyrics.

1 hour ago, BritneyFan4Life27 said:

Honestly I don’t see the connection between them musically. I don’t get it. I don’t like it. 😂

I’ve felt that way about it at times. Hence, why I decided to express my pov. I agree though, his work with Fergie is amazing, & if he chose a similar direction with Britney, it'd be gold, imo.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, turquoise said:

"Scream and Shout”

Addendum
The same can be said for “Work *****”
"Work *****” even says it more directly in the lyrics.
She actually called the police and wrote in her book that her mother did not call her best friend, the governor, for her daughter.
Britney once said something like “Work *****” is the most satisfactorily done MV during the conservatorship era.

Britney Spears - Work ***** Lyrics | AZLyrics.com
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/britneyspears/work*****.html
Go call the police, go call the governor 
I bring the treble, don't mean to trouble ya" 
I make it bubble up, call me the bubbler 
I am the bad *****, the ***** that you're loving up

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.