Forbes: Beyoncé and Taylor Swift are currently competing for this year's Grammys' top prize

Posted (edited)

Beyoncé and Taylor Swift showed the world in late 2023 that while they may be competing against one another in many ways, they also support each other. The two singers made appearances at the premieres for each other’s concert films, as they were released just weeks apart. While they may be on friendly terms, the two are surely about to find themselves in another race for a major award.

Both Beyoncé and Swift have new projects that are eligible for the Album of the Year Grammy. Beyoncé’s Cowboy Carter and Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department were released in early-to-mid 2024, and they are definitely both in the running for what many consider to be the top prize at the biggest ceremony in music.

a5cba11a6982b4fa32b027c2042b29b3.jpg

The two superstars have both been nominated for Album of the Year more than once before. Bey has been in the running five times, including once as a featured artist on Lady Gaga’s The Fame Monster. Swift, meanwhile, has been nominated for half a dozen different projects.

Beyoncé has yet to win Album of the Year at the Grammys, despite her many chances. The music industry–and millions of fans–are well aware of this glaring omission, and many are eager to rectify it. Giving the singer another chance to compete for the prize is the first step in seeing her finally win.

Swift, meanwhile, is the winningest musician in the history of the category. She’s seen four different projects collect Album of the Year at the Grammys, including earlier this year when Midnights was named the champion. She’s also collected the trophy for Fearless, 1989, and Folklore.

127a52c45184fe0e18d9df98f409fae0.jpg

The superstars have only competed against one another once before, which is actually somewhat surprising. Given the fact that they’ve been ruling the charts for nearly two decades together, it’s unusual that they’ve managed to space out their nominated albums just enough that they haven’t run up against one another more than just the one time.

In 2010, Swift won Album of the Year for the first time with her sophomore set Fearless. That year, Beyoncé was also nominated, for her I Am… Sasha Fierce double disc collection. Also in the running that ceremony were Lady Gaga’s The Fame, The Black Eyed Peas’ The E.N.D., and Dave Matthews Band’s Big Whiskey & the GrooGrux King.

68d1dd74e5fec5556d8c1a44cc03dc7f.jpg

It’s hard to predict who would win between Swift and Beyoncé, should they be nominated against one another. Swift is the reigning champion, so voters might not want to choose her so soon. That said, she’s still the biggest star in the world, and The Tortured Poets Department is the top title of the year in America.

Meanwhile, Beyoncé’s Cowboy Carter was a brave sonic shift into country, and such moves deserve to be rewarded. Voters who might not have loved her dance and R&B-leaning work might have come around for her country record, even if it wasn’t as commercially successful.

The nominees for the 2025 Grammys will be announced on November 8, 2024.

Who would you prefer to win it?

WWW.FORBES.COM

Beyoncé And Taylor Swift have only competed against one another once for the Album of the Year Grammy, but they probably will again in 2025.

Edited by Fita
43 minutes ago, Gutterguppy said:

Oh, this is gonna be interesting! :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

Yes, while I prefer Swift over Beyoncé, Taylor’s latest album feels weak compared to her past releases. There are moments I enjoy, especially the writing, but Beyoncé’s album has superior production, even if it’s somewhat underwhelming. I hope Jay-Z’s tears at the Grammys this year don’t influence the committee.:trash_throw_away_recycle:

Other female artists also put out good albums. I want to see Radical Optimism get recognition, but I fear it will be snubbed. Ariana’s album is okay, but it’s not on the level of Thank You, Next. As for Billie, I love the psychedelic vibe of her album, but it didn’t really go anywhere.:typing_keyboard_computer:

I’m curious to hear Sabrina’s new album, but I think she’ll win in the Song categories… rightfully so!:bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

Also, why doesn’t the Grammys bring back the Female Rap category? I want to believe it has nothing to do with their disdain for Nicki. Nicki and Megan ruled female rap, and I hope Doja Cat doesn’t win anything over these women. ‘Hiss’ is definitely the best female rap song, while Pink Friday 2 is the better album. And I said what I said. :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Style. said:

Yes, while I prefer Swift over Beyoncé, Taylor’s latest album feels weak compared to her past releases. There are moments I enjoy, especially the writing, but Beyoncé’s album has superior production, even if it’s somewhat underwhelming. I hope Jay-Z’s tears at the Grammys this year don’t influence the committee.:trash_throw_away_recycle:

Other female artists also put out good albums. I want to see Radical Optimism get recognition, but I fear it will be snubbed. Ariana’s album is okay, but it’s not on the level of Thank You, Next. As for Billie, I love the psychedelic vibe of her album, but it didn’t really go anywhere.:typing_keyboard_computer:

I’m curious to hear Sabrina’s new album, but I think she’ll win in the Song categories… rightfully so!:bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

Also, why doesn’t the Grammys bring back the Female Rap category? I want to believe it has nothing to do with their disdain for Nicki. Nicki and Megan ruled female rap, and I hope Doja Cat doesn’t win anything over these women. ‘Hiss’ is definitely the best female rap song, while Pink Friday 2 is the better album. And I said what I said. :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

LMAO not Jay-Z's tears :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand:

I have never cared about any Taylor album, I really don't get her appeal, but that's just me. I also haven't listened to Cowboy Carter besides for one song. Don't care for the album lol. I feel like AOTY should go to Beyonce however, because of the creative direction went for this record of, but Grammy's don't care about that, and watch them give it to Miss bland Taylor Swift. 

Gonna be looking forward to the meltdowns here :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, Fita said:

Beyoncé and Taylor Swift showed the world in late 2023 that while they may be competing against one another in many ways, they also support each other. The two singers made appearances at the premieres for each other’s concert films, as they were released just weeks apart. While they may be on friendly terms, the two are surely about to find themselves in another race for a major award.

Both Beyoncé and Swift have new projects that are eligible for the Album of the Year Grammy. Beyoncé’s Cowboy Carter and Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department were released in early-to-mid 2024, and they are definitely both in the running for what many consider to be the top prize at the biggest ceremony in music.

a5cba11a6982b4fa32b027c2042b29b3.jpg

The two superstars have both been nominated for Album of the Year more than once before. Bey has been in the running five times, including once as a featured artist on Lady Gaga’s The Fame Monster. Swift, meanwhile, has been nominated for half a dozen different projects.

Beyoncé has yet to win Album of the Year at the Grammys, despite her many chances. The music industry–and millions of fans–are well aware of this glaring omission, and many are eager to rectify it. Giving the singer another chance to compete for the prize is the first step in seeing her finally win.

Swift, meanwhile, is the winningest musician in the history of the category. She’s seen four different projects collect Album of the Year at the Grammys, including earlier this year when Midnights was named the champion. She’s also collected the trophy for Fearless, 1989, and Folklore.

127a52c45184fe0e18d9df98f409fae0.jpg

The superstars have only competed against one another once before, which is actually somewhat surprising. Given the fact that they’ve been ruling the charts for nearly two decades together, it’s unusual that they’ve managed to space out their nominated albums just enough that they haven’t run up against one another more than just the one time.

In 2010, Swift won Album of the Year for the first time with her sophomore set Fearless. That year, Beyoncé was also nominated, for her I Am… Sasha Fierce double disc collection. Also in the running that ceremony were Lady Gaga’s The Fame, The Black Eyed Peas’ The E.N.D., and Dave Matthews Band’s Big Whiskey & the GrooGrux King.

68d1dd74e5fec5556d8c1a44cc03dc7f.jpg

It’s hard to predict who would win between Swift and Beyoncé, should they be nominated against one another. Swift is the reigning champion, so voters might not want to choose her so soon. That said, she’s still the biggest star in the world, and The Tortured Poets Department is the top title of the year in America.

Meanwhile, Beyoncé’s Cowboy Carter was a brave sonic shift into country, and such moves deserve to be rewarded. Voters who might not have loved her dance and R&B-leaning work might have come around for her country record, even if it wasn’t as commercially successful.

The nominees for the 2025 Grammys will be announced on November 8, 2024.

Who would you prefer to win it?

WWW.FORBES.COM

Beyoncé And Taylor Swift have only competed against one another once for the Album of the Year Grammy, but they probably will again in 2025.

This "award" is worth my toilet paper so I don't care. 

• Like 1

Beyoncé is not on the same level as Taylor Swift. Not even close. Taylor swift literally sold more albums in a few HOURS than cowboy carter did all MONTH. and Cowboy Carter has been doing shockingly bad numbers on streaming. Albums from 10 years ago are charting higher.

Enough with the Beyoncé smoke and mirrors. The (de)illusion has been popped. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Taylor is the Starbucks of pop. She sells a lot but it does not equate quality and TTPD is absolutely no AOTY material. At all. Cowboy Carter is fantastic as an album, even if I do not necessarily love all the songs

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Red Wine Supernova said:

TTPD is no AOTY material. And I love Taylor. 

If she trims down the album to ten tracks it would be an ok Taylor album. But it’s not in the same level as folklore or evermore. 

the quality of the album sadly does not matter much. it's how it was created and produced. I agree folklore and evermore are way better albums but they didn't win AOTY like they should have over midnights. 

Grammy voters care about the process of an album. they wanna know how it came to be. Cowboy Carter should never and will never win, simply because it was written and produced by a team of people. it was created by a camp. literally 100's of people worked on CC.

TTPD was written by Taylor and only involves her and a few different producers. So artistically TTPD is a more respectable piece of work even though it's far from being one of her best. 

I think Billie Eilish and Charli XCX should have a better chance than Beyoncé too.

I dunno if it's an unpopular opinion but i think if you can't write your own music EVER, you don't deserve any Grammys. 

• Love 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kevin. said:

the quality of the album sadly does not matter much. it's how it was created and produced. I agree folklore and evermore are way better albums but they didn't win AOTY like they should have over midnights. 

Grammy voters care about the process of an album. they wanna know how it came to be. Cowboy Carter should never and will never win, simply because it was written and produced by a team of people. it was created by a camp. literally 100's of people worked on CC.

TTPD was written by Taylor and only involves her and a few different producers. So artistically TTPD is a more respectable piece of work even though it's far from being one of her best. 

I think Billie Eilish and Charli XCX should have a better chance than Beyoncé too.

I dunno if it's an unpopular opinion but i think if you can't write your own music EVER, you don't deserve any Grammys. 

I was thinking about the same thing. It’s probably gonna be Brat because of the impact this album has this year. 

Edit: Also I think folklore did win that year. 

Edited by Red Wine Supernova

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.