Why are Britney's YouTube views so low ?

This still doesn't make sense to me. When you check out her YouTube channel, most of her hits are stuck at around 300-400 million views.

"Gimme More" has only got 349 million views, and it seems like it's been stuck there for years, even though it goes viral on TikTok all the time.

Only "Baby One More Time," "Toxic," and "Scream & Shout" are close to 1 billion views.

Meanwhile, Avril Lavigne's videos have way more views on her channel, even tho Britney is way more famous and relevant than her.

5jFMVqF.png

g5fpw8z.png

Edited by Britney Baby
23 minutes ago, Emil87 said:

I also recall several of her videos being deleted then reuploaded. Not sure how true that is though.

That’s true but that was the uploads from prior to VEVO. But they had decent viewing numbers for YouTube back then and it sucks they didn’t add them on to the VEVO uploads. 

Honestly Britney’s views aren’t that bad when you take account she is a pre-YouTube/VEVO artist. It would be nice if some videos had more views than they did but it is what is. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Isla said:

That’s true but that was the uploads from prior to VEVO. But they had decent viewing numbers for YouTube back then and it sucks they didn’t add them on to the VEVO uploads. 

Honestly Britney’s views aren’t that bad when you take account she is a pre-YouTube/VEVO artist. It would be nice if some videos had more views than they did but it is what is. 

Exactly. It all got reset after VEVO was discontinued. She had millions of views before too 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Britney Baby said:

This still doesn't make sense to me. When you check out her YouTube channel, most of her hits are stuck at around 300-400 million views.

"Gimme More" has only got 349 million views, and it seems like it's been stuck there for years, even though it goes viral on TikTok all the time.

Only "Baby One More Time," "Toxic," and "Scream & Shout" are close to 1 billion views.

Meanwhile, Avril Lavigne's videos have way more views on her channel, even tho Britney is way more famous and relevant than her.

5jFMVqF.png

g5fpw8z.png

Because she hasn't released anything new in X years? People follow trends, not prehistoric songs. 

• Like 1

Yeah to give yall an idea my Britney mixes used to get thousands of views a couple years ago some real fan favs now get 100 views per day the fan base has like stop listening to Brit it's weird I've moved on to mixing other artists now just to broaden my horizon lol Britney just don't get the views like she once was..... One of my mixes with over 300k views battles to get 100 views a day now... TBH she needs to spark the interests in people again! Like most people in here don't give a cr*p about her music anyone more its just a big gossip session now like it's been 8 years since Glory time waits for no one.... I now enjoy Gaga she loves creating art and has the drive not to mention a voice of an angel she strong minded with a hint a craziness lol but she will never stop because it's not about the money or fame she enjoys the art! BTW LG7 is coming....

Edited by Infinity101
  • Love 1

Don't know how old are you or for how long you've been following Britney, but her videos are actually doing better than they have in years.

For many years, her most watched videos were her latest ones: WB, IWG, TTWE, HIAM, Womanizer, and all her classics were stuck in the 50M. And Scream & Shout but that's on will's channel.

Around 2015 when we got that trend of "Teenagers react to..." and they featured videos like BOMT or Oops or Toxic, they exploded in views and as a side effect Sometimes increased too. Soon they surpassed the newer videos and they have been steadily increasing so far.

Why Avril's views seem higher? First, there's no secret around the early days of VEVO people were doing all sorts of things to illegally increase the views, but let's give her the benefit of doubt that she was THAT popular.

The thing with Britney is that her views are distributed among more videos. As a comparison, Britney has 26 videos over 100M, plus S&S, and two other videos at 90M. Avril only has 16 videos with over 100M views, and the next closest one is stuck at 89M.

Overall, Britney's channel has over 7B views while Avril only has 5B.

That said, I do agree Britney should be higher in numbers, but she suffered this phenomenon of being victim of the transition to the digital era. By the time YT became the standard in the music industry, Britney's videos from early 00's were seen as outdated, thus why they had such lower views for years. Her newer videos were doing better, but yet, they paled in comparison to newer, current artists like Gaga or Katy Perry or Rihanna, again, because Britney was already seen by then as a legacy artist (plus the conservatorship years did nothing to push her career in this regard and the change from Jive to RCA was a disgrace as we all know).

If you look at other artists they were victims of this too, for example Crazy in Love by Beyoncé is at 790M when you'd think it'd surpassed a billion, years ago. Same with Single Ladies (though it's closer). Beautiful Liar ft Shakira, you'd imagine joining the views of both artists it would be super high as well, but it's still in the 500M.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, mystic falls said:

Giimme More, Piece Of Me had like hundred of millions views when they got released.. then youtube had a reset so yeah. :mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses:

from a post I did years ago:

which is a myth too

I mean, it did have a lot of views for the time, but it didn't reach 100M. This snapshot is from 2008, by 2009 it seems like it had already been taken down. 

pom.png

If I'm not mistaken, the first music video to reach 100M views was Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend, but that was because the fans planned a campaign to get automated views, which got caught by YT, but the real plan was for the news to talk about it, and get people's attention who eventually gave it actual views, and that's how they did it. I was reading about it the other day lol 

Now I know why so many Avril Lavigne videos have so many views despite not being that popular. 

all 9 of her first two albums videos look like upscaled DVDs and don't look that great.

I believe Katy Perry has more videos with over a billion views than anyone. I mostly stopped listening to music once she came around, no shock to me the typical person has little taste

i mean Miley Cyrus only exists cause her daddy song Achy Breaky Heart or some mediocre country pop song in the early 90s

Edited by Jassoe3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.